Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y price change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought in early Q4 with the full tax credit and the car became cheaper over time even with the reduced tax credit. I wouldn't say I feel ripped off, but I definitely believe the early adopter benefits were really non-existent unless one cars about having the physical car before others.

@M3Rider
I agree that I may not get autopilot and agree on not trusting Tesla advisors answers. When I bought my LR AWD 3 in Sept 2019 I was told I would get 2 yr free supercharging and 2 free upgrades. I chose free colour upgrade and declined wheel upgrade. It took 8 email exchanges and right up to the time of my delivery appointment to have the colour upgrade fee removed from my contract. The 2 yr free SC was not added in the contract but I was told not to worry. 2 months later I was told sorry we can’t give you free SC even though I have it on my emails from sales advisor. I have asked the same sales advisor about my LR AWD Y and whether I should just reconfigure my pre-order now and pay the extra cost before there are anymore price increases. I use autopilot 15% of the time and do find it useful. My sales advisor recommends just waiting it out and doesn’t know the answer to my situation.
I bought a P3+ right around that same time and I was originally told they would do the 2 upgrades plus the FSC. I was later told Tesla wouldn’t do the FSC because they were cutting back and limiting to just my red/white color upgrades (pigment is really only a minuscule expensive on their part). When my car arrived, before and during delivery the delivery team then assured me that I would indeed receive the 2 year FSC because it was applied for during the time they were offering and approving the requests. After delivery Tesla then told me that it was denied because it was limited to my color upgrades only. One problem with Tesla is that there is not anyone a customer can communicate with that has authority to approve what they promise before sale. Tesla uses a blanket of "lack of communication" to hide behind that makes it easy to not fulfill their promises that the rely on to increase sales. Last year I had a really irritating FSC issue, I had wasted hours and hours on phone calls and close to one hundred email communications on my new Performance Model S (I also bought last year) trying to get my 3 year FSC approved. The 3 year FSC program was offered to current FSC owners to entice them to buy new S and X cars. Tesla doesn’t realize the value of a customers time that is wasted trying to get them to fulfill their obligations that are tied to and also a valued decisive factor in the purchase of Tesla vehicles. After over 6 months of my time wasted in what seemed like endless emails and phone calls they said they couldn’t give me the 3 year FSC because it was no longer a program they currently offer. I suggested if they can’t fulfill the 3 year SC they sold me they could give me the current single owner FSC program that came out days after my purchase. Eventually they activated the 3 year SC plan after wasting so much of my time. I love our Tesla cars but Tesla clearly feels their time is valuable but their customers time is worthless. People love to bash car dealers but franchised dealers serve a valuable function as they are intermediary’s between manufacturers and customers with both ends interests of value to them for their success.

Last edited:
ripped off? I was an early buyer (VIN 13k), and if you take $7.5K fed credit I paid less than anyone bought in 2019. So once again as an early buyer I paid less for Model 3.

That is funny math as Tesla did lower their prices. Especially on the performance versions. That math presumes that folks get the US Federal Tax rebate, but the average american family does not. Then, think of the rest of the world that don't have these rebates that allow some to forgive Tesla punishing their early orders.

I bought a P3+ right around that same time and I was originally told they would do the 2 upgrades plus the FSC. I was later told Tesla wouldn’t do the FSC because they were cutting back and limiting to just my red/white color upgrades (pigment is really only a minuscule expensive on their part).

The other brands have a dealer model that is sleazy for sure, but they don't outright lie to you. Promises get into the paperwork and they make good on them. Tesla delivery staff are whipsawed trying to interpret EM tweets without any official policy that they can stand behind. I walked from my last two Tesla purchases at delivery because I couldn't get written documentation of delivery promises.

I wont be burned again after taking delivery of a new Tesla with a dent at the end of the day on a end-of-quarter push. I was told someone would send a Due Bill with the photos he took documenting the issue. No due bill and service denied their fault to fix it.

#TeslaDumpsterFire

The other brands have a dealer model that is sleazy for sure, but they don't outright lie to you. Promises get into the paperwork and they make good on them. Tesla delivery staff are whipsawed trying to interpret EM tweets without any official policy that they can stand behind. I walked from my last two Tesla purchases at delivery because I couldn't get written documentation of delivery promises.

I wont be burned again after taking delivery of a new Tesla with a dent at the end of the day on a end-of-quarter push. I was told someone would send a Due Bill with the photos he took documenting the issue. No due bill and service denied their fault to fix it.

#TeslaDumpsterFire
We had Tesla note the FSC on our delivery paperwork, even though they kept insisting they didn’t want to because it was unnecessary. It was still an outright ridiculous struggle that involved far more expense of my time than the actual cash value of any supercharging we will ever receive back. To me in the end it boiled down to the fact that they promised something that they were not providing that made me continue. One last note at delivery of our P3, with only 3 miles!, we noted that the air dam/valance under the front bumper was damaged with scratches and scuffs, we asked for it to be noted so it could be replaced as it was a new car and shouldn’t be damaged. The actual manager of the store addressed the issue and I’m quoting "that is normal wear and tear that will happen eventually". I replied "that there is no such thing as normal wear and tear on a brand new car" and that "I don’t want a brand new car just was delivered from the factory to be damaged" and her reply was still quoting "that is fine, if you don’t want it someone else will buy it and probably never notice the damage". Gotta hand it to you Tesla, great quality control and amazing respect for your loyal repeat customers o_O. I still took delivery of the car because they had some financial leverage over me with our Tesla trade-in that they already had me put back to OEM specs.

Last edited:
That is funny math as Tesla did lower their prices. Especially on the performance versions. That math presumes that folks get the US Federal Tax rebate, but the average american family does not. Then, think of the rest of the world that don't have these rebates that allow some to forgive Tesla punishing their early orders.
Funny math?

I paid $46.5K for my LR RWD blue as an early adopter. How much did you pay for the same config?

• Disagree
Reactions: Reeler
In Europe the price for the Modely Y went up by 2000 Euros :-( (LR went from 61k to 63k here in Belgium!)

That doesn't mean the pricing wont go down once they sell out all the fanbois at the higher pricing. Ford, VW and some 40 other EV models will be sold soon and crazy $7K assistive driving upgrades, etc. will not get Tesla very far in a more competitive market. BTW: All the competition will have Apple Carplay, Android Auto and a heated steering wheel I bet. Reality will reduce pricing, not to mention full tax rebates for most other brands.

That doesn't mean the pricing wont go down once they sell out all the fanbois at the higher pricing. Ford, VW and some 40 other EV models will be sold soon and crazy $7K assistive driving upgrades, etc. will not get Tesla very far in a more competitive market. BTW: All the competition will have Apple Carplay, Android Auto and a heated steering wheel I bet. Reality will reduce pricing, not to mention full tax rebates for most other brands.
Possibly. But I have been waiting for competition to come for a while now and although a lot is announced, not much is happing in practice. Volvo has been talking about the XC40 electric forever, but still no date. ID3 more or less same thing and the Polestar seems to be close but also no shipping dates yet. So for the moment my good old Prius will do....