Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range Test (Survey: How to?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!
I want to make a video doing an accurate and detailed range test in my Model Y. What are the best ways to truly track this? Make a trip on screen, but should I try to drive on more freeways? Flat ground? Track with a third party app? Track with/without AC, etc?

Thank you! Want to be sure to do it properly.

Hey everyone!
I want to make a video doing an accurate and detailed range test in my Model Y. What are the best ways to truly track this? Make a trip on screen, but should I try to drive on more freeways? Flat ground? Track with a third party app? Track with/without AC, etc?

Thank you! Want to be sure to do it properly.

Just drive they way you usually drive (speed or hypermile, with or without HVAC, surface roads, freeways, hills, flat...), then compare your real traveled distance with the battery gauge in miles so you know how much you should charge for future trips.

Otherwise, if you want to be like EPA, you'll need to adhere to its strict criteria such as speed, temperature, acceleration, duration...

Reactions: ryanshawtech
I recommend:

1. Use Tezlab App plus Ys consumption meter
2. Do freeway on a Sunday morning, like 100 mile round (50 mile east then back 50 mile westbound) trip along I-210. Less traffic = Autopilot at 75 mph. Then maybe same route different trip at 70 mph on Autopilot.
3. HVAC off (Lo at Zero Fan), if you can tolerate SoCal Spring weather.

And, start at say 90% SoC at 42 PSI tires....

Maybe we can do comparison, same route with MYPUP 21 Uberturbines v MYLRAWD 20 Inductions...

Reactions: ryanshawtech
While I do like scientific comparisons, I would mainly be interested in realistic power consumption, i.e. with A/C on. Highway @ 75 mph as that is IMHO the minimum safe speed in SoCal :)

And definitely going the same way out and back to rule out wind and elevation impact.

Several folks have tested the warm 75 MPH scenario. 290-300 wh/m seems to be about what's expected at that speed. With the MY range seeming similar to an M3 with 20" wheels, 300 wh/m aligns with the 252 mile range @ 75 MPH for the M3P 20" on Teslike.com