Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Liftgate Sunshade - now available in Tesla shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some comparison shots. Position of the sun will make a difference in how much visibility is impacted.

Attachments

• CAF677AA-2334-443D-B412-8493D35A3054.jpeg
    CAF677AA-2334-443D-B412-8493D35A3054.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 12677170-C392-4CEA-AD74-FC851C0C6F31.jpeg
    12677170-C392-4CEA-AD74-FC851C0C6F31.jpeg
    586.1 KB · Views: 271
  • 5C3CFF61-BDC4-45B0-A426-BCE464064A5E.jpeg
    5C3CFF61-BDC4-45B0-A426-BCE464064A5E.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 388
Thanks SrLawren. I have seen the shelf, but I sometimes carry bulky things that sit high, and my family's lifestyle is to throw things into the trunk from inside the cabin. I've been using an opaque suction cup rear window shade for privacy, but was hoping for something that I could keep on for much of the time.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Thanks SrLawren. I have seen the shelf, but I sometimes carry bulky things that sit high, and my family's lifestyle is to throw things into the trunk from inside the cabin. I've been using an opaque suction cup rear window shade for privacy, but was hoping for something that I could keep on for much of the time.

It does make looking in almost impossible during the day if it’s a quick cursory look. I’ll check tomorrow in various lighting to see how it is if I get closer and cup my hands against the glass.

I tinted the rear side windows 70% to reduce the heat coming in for my kids but didn't do the rear trunk glass. The 70% doesn't make the glass any darker really but it does reduce the heat quite a bit. I'm curious if I had the rear trunk glass tinted at 70% as well if that would do the trick for keeping it cooler for my goldendoodle. He's not back there too often but I definitely don't want him baking in the sun when he is. It seems that the trunk sunshade might be dangerous to drive with. The visibility through the rear view is limited as it is. Thoughts?

I tinted the rear side windows 70% to reduce the heat coming in for my kids but didn't do the rear trunk glass. The 70% doesn't make the glass any darker really but it does reduce the heat quite a bit. I'm curious if I had the rear trunk glass tinted at 70% as well if that would do the trick for keeping it cooler for my goldendoodle. He's not back there too often but I definitely don't want him baking in the sun when he is. It seems that the trunk sunshade might be dangerous to drive with. The visibility through the rear view is limited as it is. Thoughts?
This video reviews the Tesla Model S rear lift gate sunshade sold by Tesla. The claimed solar thermal load reduction is 66%, the same as for the Model Y rear lift gate sunshade. It appears to be the same mesh material used in the sunshade for the Model Y.

Reactions: Mod Y Guy
Tinting the hatch glass would help a lot. It’s a big piece of glass and doesn’t have heat rejection qualities like the roof. I have mine tinted with 40% (which makes it quite dark) and I still use the shade when it’s over 100. The shade makes a difference. You get used to it. The view doesn’t phase me at all.

Reactions: Mod Y Guy
Tinting the hatch glass would help a lot. It’s a big piece of glass and doesn’t have heat rejection qualities like the roof. I have mine tinted with 40% (which makes it quite dark) and I still use the shade when it’s over 100. The shade makes a difference. You get used to it. The view doesn’t phase me at all.
It's my understanding that ALL of the OEM glass is dyed, not coated, and therefore does NOT HAVE any heat rejection quality.

If someone has information that is different, please post it, maybe even starting a new thread.

It's my understanding that ALL of the OEM glass is dyed, not coated, and therefore does NOT HAVE any heat rejection quality.

If someone has information that is different, please post it, maybe even starting a new thread.

Attachments

• 2D71733C-6589-4B8E-9B0C-6746A1F9F239.png
    2D71733C-6589-4B8E-9B0C-6746A1F9F239.png
    726.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 2A8E822B-DDD5-46DC-8206-D3C4C7B6E462.png
    2A8E822B-DDD5-46DC-8206-D3C4C7B6E462.png
    345.7 KB · Views: 177