Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Spoiler, Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a rear spoiler for my 2021 Model Y. Unfortunately already have a couple paint chips from exposed area so looking at the spoiler to cover as well as prevent happening again. I'm looking for recommendation on best spoiler (basic matte or matching gloss black to car). In my research, I noticed there are wide range of prices but they all seem to be applied the same or similar as far as I can tell. My major concern is the spoiler delaminating or eventually starting to come off and I don't want to overspend on something that will not last. Appreciate any input.
Thanks, Brian

Spoiler! Maybe well named.
I have paid up to import a Tesmanian for my red Y in matt black: price + shipping+important duty and sales tax.

I should have read this thread first; they seem rather problematic.

The thing I failed to consider is when to fit it.
As soon as possible after June/July collection ( maybe the same day) I want to get my Y in for new car detailing/ paint correction and ceramic coating.
I am thinking that sticking the spoiler on a ceramic coated surface will not be the best for adhesion longevity.
However, if I fit before detailing I will have to wait three days or so for the clue to cure.

Maybe I will take the hit and sell it here. What I have read above has dissipated my enthusiasm somewhat.

As I said, I should have done my Teslamotorsclub first!🙄

Upvote 0
Spoiler! Maybe well named.
I have paid up to import a Tesmanian for my red Y in matt black: price + shipping+important duty and sales tax.

I should have read this thread first; they seem rather problematic.

The thing I failed to consider is when to fit it.
As soon as possible after June/July collection ( maybe the same day) I want to get my Y in for new car detailing/ paint correction and ceramic coating.
I am thinking that sticking the spoiler on a ceramic coated surface will not be the best for adhesion longevity.
However, if I fit before detailing I will have to wait three days or so for the clue to cure.

Maybe I will take the hit and sell it here. What I have read above has dissipated my enthusiasm somewhat.

As I said, I should have done my Teslamotorsclub first!🙄
RESEARCH!!!

Upvote 0
Can you share a couple pics of yours? Which vendor are you? Lol. I may have already tried one of yours. As I said, I haven't found one yet where the corners stay down.
give it a shot? we are pretty confident about our upgraded one.
link for it
Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 11.04.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 11.05.55 AM.png

Upvote 0
Thank you very much that.

I have so much invested in the one I purchased; high base price plus shipping from USA plus UK import duty and 20% sales tax ,that I must find a solution (no sticky pun intended) or simply chalk it up to a bad experience and go sans spoiler .

The supplier was full of empathetic sympathy but quite astounded that their spoiler should have failed as " We have sold literally thousands..........." They even asked if it had been dry fitted! No glue tape! Please!

The failed fitting was carried out by one of the UK's high end PPF/ Ceramic detailers. They would attempt a refit for me with a commercial adhesive which would entail leaving the car for a couple of days but at this time, I can't bear to be without my new Y again....maybe later....maybe.

By the way, I made couple trips to San Francisco in the nineties; what a great city.

Upvote 0
it match pretty well, and a matte version would match the matte black trim as well
Firstly, let me make it clear that the forgoing does not refer in anyway to the AOSK Global Vendor company posting here above and with whom I have had no dealings or even heard of their name until now.

So, it is with regret that I have decided not to buy any more accessories from US based companies who have not appointed an agents or any support in Europe.

The shipping is very expensive. Then comes import duty and finally our local VAT sales tax. It all adds up to a chunk of change which, one hopes, will be justified by the quality of the product.

Then when you have a problem which you explain (in writing) politely and in great detail to the customer services, (an oxymoron if ever there was one) you only to get in return, platitudes and requests for even more details FCOL.

The one I love (not) is " We have sold thousands of our spoilers and our customers have had no problems"

Furthermore, no company should be allowed to refer to itself as Global if, by that, they just mean that they will ship anywhere from their US-only based business. It is either a dishonest statement or worse, a typical example of the gross sophistry to which the English language has fallen victim in recent years.

If my desire for a spoiler is ever revived (I have one for sale but it's more a spoiler than a spoiler), I will have to buy a performance MY for a decent spoiler from Tesla, a truly "Global" company - long may they continue to be so - that stands behind its products.

Reactions: J8ETD
Upvote 0
Firstly, let me make it clear that the forgoing does not refer in anyway to the AOSK Global Vendor company posting here above and with whom I have had no dealings or even heard of their name until now.

So, it is with regret that I have decided not to buy any more accessories from US based companies who have not appointed an agents or any support in Europe.

The shipping is very expensive. Then comes import duty and finally our local VAT sales tax. It all adds up to a chunk of change which, one hopes, will be justified by the quality of the product.

Then when you have a problem which you explain (in writing) politely and in great detail to the customer services, (an oxymoron if ever there was one) you only to get in return, platitudes and requests for even more details FCOL.

The one I love (not) is " We have sold thousands of our spoilers and our customers have had no problems"

Furthermore, no company should be allowed to refer to itself as Global if, by that, they just mean that they will ship anywhere from their US-only based business. It is either a dishonest statement or worse, a typical example of the gross sophistry to which the English language has fallen victim in recent years.

If my desire for a spoiler is ever revived (I have one for sale but it's more a spoiler than a spoiler), I will have to buy a performance MY for a decent spoiler from Tesla, a truly "Global" company - long may they continue to be so - that stands behind its products.
Hi dear Owner,

The global vendor logo under our username is actually a forum rule, all foreign companies who register as a vendor in this forum need to have this logo under the username to indicate that we are a foreign vendor.

Upvote 0
Hi dear Owner,

The global vendor logo under our username is actually a forum rule, all foreign companies who register as a vendor in this forum need to have this logo under the username to indicate that we are a foreign vendor.
Thank you for that. You will have seen my statement making it clear that none of my comments were in anyway directed at your company about which I know nothing at all.
Best wishes

Reactions: AOSK
Upvote 0
My factory MYP spoiler had been slightly raising up on the ends over time, and it's really annoying when I wash my car as water keeps coming out of the spoiler gaps and making a mess on my tail lights & trunk. I just ordered a new spoiler from Amazon for $75 shipped (after a 30% coupon that was available), and I plan to use that instead.

I don't want to warranty the factory spoiler for another one, as I've seen & heard enough 'horror' stories of how those eventually just start to bow & detach over time. Plus, I like that the Amazon spoiler is still factory looking but just a little bigger overall. It should compliment my front bumper spoiler and mirror caps pretty well.

Here's a pic from one of the Amazon reviews. Top is factory MYP. Bottom is the Amazon spoiler.

Model-Y-Spoilers.jpg

Upvote 0
My factory MYP spoiler had been slightly raising up on the ends over time, and it's really annoying when I wash my car as water keeps coming out of the spoiler gaps and making a mess on my tail lights & trunk. I just ordered a new spoiler from Amazon for $75 shipped (after a 30% coupon that was available), and I plan to use that instead.

I don't want to warranty the factory spoiler for another one, as I've seen & heard enough 'horror' stories of how those eventually just start to bow & detach over time. Plus, I like that the Amazon spoiler is still factory looking but just a little bigger overall. It should compliment my front bumper spoiler and mirror caps pretty well.

Here's a pic from one of the Amazon reviews. Top is factory MYP. Bottom is the Amazon spoiler.

Model-Y-Spoilers.jpg
All best with the new spoiler. Let us know how it performs over time please.

Upvote 0
Here is my 2021 MYLR (October build). I have the RPMtesla Jupiter rear spoiler. I also added the Rimetrix hubcaps, aero on the side cameras, black T logo front and back, and canards around the lamps.

Since the Jupiter is a wide spoiler, it has several pieces of 3M tape. It has gone through my local non-touchless car wash many times without any issues (i.e. brushes and strips car wash).

1659320361470.png

1659320388655.png

1659320402324.png

I had considered the "pencil mustache" OEM style spoiler but decided to go with this larger spoiler since it flows better from the side. And the gloss carbon fiber looks great in person.

My install photos are on this thread; post #129:

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Upvote 0
Here is my 2021 MYLR (October build). I have the RPMtesla Jupiter rear spoiler. I also added the Rimetrix hubcaps, aero on the side cameras, black T logo front and back, and canards around the lamps.

Since the Jupiter is a wide spoiler, it has several pieces of 3M tape. It has gone through my local non-touchless car wash many times without any issues (i.e. brushes and strips car wash).

View attachment 835218

View attachment 835219

View attachment 835220

I had considered the "pencil mustache" OEM style spoiler but decided to go with this larger spoiler since it flows better from the side. And the gloss carbon fiber looks great in person.

My install photos are on this thread; post #129:

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
Looks right in tune with the overall look you have achieved.
I love the term " Pencil Moustache" for the OEM spoiler.

Upvote 0
These stick on spoilers are purely for looks right? I doubt they add more than their own weight (2 lbs) in downforce at 60 miles/hr.

Are the OEM spoilers on Y Performance models drilled on? Or also glued?
to the best of my knowledge they are all 3M adhesive strip attached. Which does work well if properly applied.
there's little if any aerodynamic advantage gained. it's cosmetic.
that said, I put on one from Amazon for $80 and it's been no problem and looks good on a white MY.

Upvote 0
to the best of my knowledge they are all 3M adhesive strip attached. Which does work well if properly applied.
there's little if any aerodynamic advantage gained. it's cosmetic.
that said, I put on one from Amazon for $80 and it's been no problem and looks good on a white MY.
Exactly! And that cosmetic effect is at its best on a white Y.

Reactions: AOSK
Upvote 0