Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone - having just installed my rack on my Model Y, I thought I would chime in here.

First, for those who don't know, this rack is made by Yakima. I was skeptical of buying the Tesla rack at first b/c it looked fragile, and like it was avoiding the most basic design principles for bearing load by being curved at the transition to the towers. Now that I've handled it, I feel much better that this is a legitimate cargo rack, designed engineers experienced with this product class. It is surprisingly heavy given how slight it appears, and it is very solid. Now that I know it's Yakima, the price doesn't bother me b/c it's on par with other legit rack systems.

Second, I wanted to comment that for me, the initial install took between 60 and 90 minutes. Others here are predicting they can do it in 10 - I'm a bit skeptical of that, I think 15 is more realistic if everything goes perfectly, and up to 20 otherwise. The main sticking points are lifting up the rubber gasket between the glass and the metal, and then slipping the metal L-hook/bolt bracket under the gasket and glass into its receiver. This process is tricky./ For me, every time the rubber gasket ended up pinched and folded under the glass with a big gap leading forward and back from the bracket. I could have just left it that way, and that probably would have saved 5 mins all the way around. And I could have entirely skipped trying to even lift it up in the first place, and just shoved the bracket under it and let it be pinched in there. With both of those optimizations, then I can see 10 mins.

My concern is that if the gasket isn't laying as flush as possible, a) it'll cause a whistle at highway speeds - although the tower feet may be flush enough that this doesn't happen, an b) that it will permanently deform or even tear the gasket, and then that will cause whistling at speed even when the rack is not installed, and may reduce resale value of the car since so many people are uppity about wind noise in such a quiet car.

It is worth noting that my roof is not installed perfectly symmetrically, so one of the four brackets fits very tightly. There is zero play between it and the glass, leaving me concerned that it could cause a crack once I put actual load up there and then drive, particularly on a bumpy road.

Am I the only one who thinks the MY looks a lot better with a roof rack? I want to get one every time I see a MY with a rack, but don’t know if I can get myself to fork up $450 for something I will have no use for.
It is growing on me - I didn't like it at first, but now I think I like it better.

You should get a kayak or a RIB (rubber inflatable boat :) - that way, you'll have a use for your rack!

It is worth noting that my roof is not installed perfectly symmetrically, so one of the four brackets fits very tightly. There is zero play between it and the glass, leaving me concerned that it could cause a crack once I put actual load up there and then drive, particularly on a bumpy road.
Yeah, when I installed my rack, I was a bit concerned by this as well given how close those L hooks are to the glass. But I used the rack for two years with loads on the roof (carrying bikes) without any problems at all. And a few times I did remove the rack entirely when going on longer road trips where we didn't need to use it. I could remove and install it pretty quickly after doing it the first time. Although it seems to have negligible impact on range with nothing installed on the rack, so for the last year I just always left it on the car even when taking long trips.

Not only is the frequency of use a question, there are a few horror stories on the forum about breaking the roof glass from those who tried to DIY it. to be void of any ooopsies, it will cost you a lot more than $450 for the racks because you will need to have Tesla SC install it. Provided it only takes an hour, that's another $125 plus the cost of the rack.
I installed my own. No issues. Do damage. I’m not an engineer.

Not only is the frequency of use a question, there are a few horror stories on the forum about breaking the roof glass from those who tried to DIY it. to be void of any ooopsies, it will cost you a lot more than $450 for the racks because you will need to have Tesla SC install it. Provided it only takes an hour, that's another $125 plus the cost of the rack.
I asked my SC to install it at the same service appointment when they realign my wheels/steering wheel. Initially quoted $125 but they did it for free. So it can depend on how soon you get it install, the mood of the SC person, etc.

I've seen virtually no impact on range or wh/mi efficiency when using mine. I have almost a perfect real world test scenario of making many trips up to my local ski mountain before and after putting the roof rack on and all numbers are within +/- 10 wh/mi difference.

Reactions: AlexHung
Not sure if this is a new policy, but when I was at a Tesla service center last week I asked about the roof rack and the parts tech told me Tesla will come out and install for free. I'm guessing they had enough folks screw it up that they got sick of replacing cracked glass. Probably why the price is now $500 vs. $450.

Jim

Reactions: AlexHung