Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD now available. RWD+AWD now eligible for iZEV Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a minor software update last night on MY rwd, before it was reporting 435km on full charge now after update reporting 394 kms range, same as EPA!
IMG_1386.jpeg

I believe it's also the sound that happens when the car is installing a software update
I can understand if the sound is coming out when software update is installing or sometime after it's parked. The software update finished around 12AM last night and I went down to the garage this morning and I can still hear the sound. Not exactly sure if it's still cooling down the battery for such a long time and around 18-20 degree Celsius.

I wonder if this MYRWD update is actually software limiting the usable battery of the car (aka Tesla is purposely limiting the battery of the car).

Does anyone know if the MYLR got the same update?
May be it's more accurate range? Previously around 435km showed up for my MYRWD but the range will go down a lot faster but this morning drive look more accurate with the actual distance driven after the software update.

May be it's more accurate range? Previously around 435km showed up for my MYRWD but the range will go down a lot faster but this morning drive look more accurate with the actual distance driven after the software update.
The 435km might be for the warmer weather. Here's a video from Bjørn Nyland who did a range test in Thailand. He got 440km doing 90km. Here's the full video:

He did the same range test in Norway and only got 397km but with 20 wheels and also for some reason the MY RWD in Norway was 20kg heavier. Here's the full video:

He's been doing a slew of other tests with MY RWD like acceleration, noise and 1000km challenge. You guys should check him out.

I got the feeling that Tesla changed the reading from a real world 435 to 397 because that range number combined with the always 100% charging capability, the RWD might appear to be the better value and might cut into sales of the LR. That might already be happening.
In the past the displayed range was based upon the EPA/EC range figures.

The 435km might be for the warmer weather. Here's a video from Bjørn Nyland who did a range test in Thailand. He got 440km doing 90km. Here's the full video:

He did the same range test in Norway and only got 397km but with 20 wheels and also for some reason the MY RWD in Norway was 20kg heavier. Here's the full video:

He's been doing a slew of other tests with MY RWD like acceleration, noise and 1000km challenge. You guys should check him out.
Warm weather, cold weather, etc., the km you see top right of your left window is based on the EPA and it's not a guess-o-meter. That's why you put it in % and check the consumption graph for real world driving km.

The rated km was maybe for the WLTP or whatever they use out of the factory.

For those shopping around for insurance for the new Y RWD —CAA has the best rates so far and they even had the RWD model in the system to complete the quote before several other insurance companies. However when we called back and gave the VIN, they say the VIN is not in our system yet, has anyone had any luck with this?

For those shopping around for insurance for the new Y RWD —CAA has the best rates so far and they even had the RWD model in the system to complete the quote before several other insurance companies. However when we called back and gave the VIN, they say the VIN is not in our system yet, has anyone had any luck with this?
I was able to get my insurance confirmed with VIN, Belairdirect in Ontario. I find they are offering me the lowest rate, I also have a second vehicle and home insurance with them.

Reactions: LeFrankeh
Does Model Y make a very soft noise even when it's parked overnight? It's coming out from around frunk area and it's making that sound all the time and I can still hear it even after it's parked for overnight.
Do you have sentry mode turned on at home? If so, your car is not 'asleep' and what you're hearing is the coolant pump running while the car stays awake. Turn off sentry mode at home (if its safe to do so) and you'll find that the car will fall asleep and you'll no longer hear any sound coming from the car.

Reactions: LeFrankeh
I got the feeling that Tesla changed the reading from a real world 435 to 397 because that range number combined with the always 100% charging capability, the RWD might appear to be the better value and might cut into sales of the LR. That might already be happening.
With that train of thought, I wonder if the battery inside the Tesla is actually capable of more but Tesla is purposely limiting it. (i.e. battery pack is actually larger than 60 kWh, but Tesla is only allowing access to a certain % of the battery in RWD vehicles)

Aka similar to acceleration boost/mod in LR, I wonder if there is a boost/mod for more range in RWD

Just got the delivery day on 13th but Tesla has lowered my trade in value for my 19 model 3 by more than 3k. Has anyone experienced this? The original trade in offer was just expired since it's 3 days over 30 days.
Yes this happens a lot, Tesla isn’t competitive with trade in offers as they just sell it off to a third party. I faced a similar issue when I requested an estimate for my civic prior to ordering and it was 13.8k. I then placed the order and submitted the trade in info to get 11.6k, decided to cancel the trade in and keep my civic lol.