Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR now has AWD in US, when will come to Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
07FBF9D7-69D2-4293-AFAC-9F3F9A561A2A.png

I don't think it will come at all. Perhaps in the US with slippery snowy road conditions in many states it would be worthwhile. In Australia, the LR version has AWD for getting power to the ground. In the SR version, RWD does just fine and weighs less.
Yes, I suspect you are right. This version is also rumoured to have the 4680 batteries made in the US and important to their new tax rebate system.
Not an issue for us, so I would be surprised if we see it at all...

Yes, I suspect you are right. This version is also rumoured to have the 4680 batteries made in the US and important to their new tax rebate system.
Not an issue for us, so I would be surprised if we see it at all...
It's not a rumour, the SR AWD in the USA does have 4680 batteries. Right now they don't have the energy density of the 2170 cells (hence why it's only offered in SR guise), and weighs the same as the LR. They are very much behind schedule with the 4680 project.

That's not a Model Y SR. It's the rebranded MYAWD, aka the 4680 Model Y built in Texas with 85% of the LR range, and a few thousand cheaper. It is not SR, and not made with LFP chemistry which typically goes with SR models.

When would it ship elsewhere? No idea - depends a lot on how much progress they make with the 4680 cell production. Given the need for those cells in new ramping product such as Cyber-Truck and/or Semi, I think you'd be better off hoping for an actual MYSR with China-sourced LFP packs.

Not to mention, it's also a dual motor. The 0-100 is a 0.2s different between this and the LR version.

Agreed - we need to be honest and think of the MYAWD as a MYLR- or a next-gen MYLR that's not yet got it's chemistry up to full LR range.

MYSR is a single motor, LFP creature with a different cost structure and niche - it's a delightful idea for a mid-size city car at a much lower price point. That's not what the MYAWD is which is simply a MYLR with a slightly lower range pack

It also may not be around for long..

The recent slide pack released by Tesla suggested all 3/Ys in the future might have LFP batteries (only need a slight increase in density)

Right now, in reality-land vs power-point-land, the MYAWD 4680 next generation pack using high density NMC chemistry is unable to even match the existing 2170 pack range.

That's kind of the opposite from being in the power-point world where some unknown 4860-or-otherwise lower-density LFP MY pack can get to MYLR level range, which honestly needs to keep rising into the mid 300's and higher to meet use cases and market competition.

I do agree that a lower-cost, lower-range LFP MYSR has an excellent future market niche