Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension and Ride Comfort Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least I am not naive enough to think that they stuck an idiot on the line and told him to put in what ever pressure he wants to. There should be a spec pressure applied when it leaves the factory. The car should leave the factory in-spec. It is neither futile or pointless. They aren't trying to make it good a year from now in Alaska. If it gets to Alaska and needs to be bumped, the delivery prep team should check and adjust it. If it is too low in your driveway, cold, then you should adjust it.

"Factories overinflate for shipping" files in the face of your assertion that some dumb kid just put in what he wanted to. If the factory's intention is that they leave 5 psi high or whatever, then that is the spec and the set point for the inflator. You refuted your own claim.
I’m sure there is a spec at factory. Probably a robot does it. Totally useless number. Like you said prep should check it locally at destination. Many will. Many won’t. Many will do it wrong. Just like many deliver issues it’s sloppy. Are they supposed to do it right, yes. Do they, sometimes. Even manufacturers with much smoother delivery experience have had wildly off pressure.

Like I said. It’s about as relative as commenting where the steering wheel was adjusted from the factory.

Ignoring you so don’t bother responding.

You guys are missing the point. People are indicating the initial pressure, because that's what was the setting when we drove the car for the 1st XXX miles. Later, when we lowered the pressure, we are providing a relative feel for the car - in comparison to that initial pressure. This has nothing to do with any people on the assembly line, or at the service center...
Relative to what “initial” pressure?

There is only one significant pressure to be relative to. The door tag. Which you should check when you get home after it cools off. What’s in it at “initial” delivery is meaningless.

• Disagree
Reactions: John in LB
The cold pressure on our MYLR, as delivered, was exactly 42psi. I lowered the pressure to 40psi and the wife noticed the difference right away. I drove the car later in the day and also found it to be less harsh. Reportedly, Tesla recommends 40psi for more comfort and 45psi for maximum efficiency.

From the lowest cost to the most expensive:

-Lower PSi on 19" Apollo (Gemini's) wheels. I've dropped mine down to 38 PSi and it only helped a tiny bit. Ride is still rough, suspension still feels like it bottoms out on everything but the tiniest bumps.

-Different tires. I haven't read this helps much on ride comfort as much as it decreases range & braking distance (the latter which is a good thing) and gives superior grip.

-Comfort Springs. Only one company I know makes these so far. I hope they help.

-Non-adjustable Comfort shocks. Nobody makes this yet. I'm hoping someone does!

-Adjustable comfort shocks. see above.

-Complete comfort shock and spring set. Nobody makes this yet. See comfort shocks, above.

-Lighter 19" wheels. a few lb's shaved doesn't seem like it will help as much as the two immediately above. Aftermarket rims aren't cheap.

-18" wheels WITH 235 55R 18 tires. This shaves a lot of weight per wheel, increases range, and opens up the tire selection immensely (like Michelin Defenders!). Tires are cheaper too! I'm hoping to see more people with these. I wonder why Tesla didn't go with this wheel/tire size, but I think they leaned more towards performance when they made their decision.

-Nonadjustable comfort coilovers. This is available for the Tesla brother, the model 3. I hope this gets made for the Y.

-Adjustable comfort coilovers. Very expensive. Reviews exist, and seem to be extremely positive. This is the reason why I think the highlighted above, would be good too. I'm highly considering these but haven't purchased, not because of cost, but because of unavailability AND lack of other above options.

The Model Y has only been out for a year, so I'm hoping as time progresses, people will step in and fill in the holes above with good product. Right now we' only have choices of inexpensive but don't work well vs. really expensive (and unavailable!). Forum pages are chock full of complaints, and there's rumor that even Tesla is changing around the suspension with the newer model Y's. This is a really good indicator of a high demand for these products.
I had the Redwood Motorsports GT Coilovers installed on our Model Y LR and we could not tell any difference and I moved the settings from one extreme to the other in two step increments (32 steps total). On the softer end the bumps seemed the same but the car "sailed" a little bit.

I had the Redwood Motorsports GT Coilovers installed on our Model Y LR and we could not tell any difference and I moved the settings from one extreme to the other in two step increments (32 steps total). On the softer end the bumps seemed the same but the car "sailed" a little bit.
On 19" wheels, (Gemini for instance), the use of larger diameter tires (up to 29") adds sidewall depth and thus some cushioning.

I've gotten an 18" wheelset (actually M3 Aero) for the MYLR and am using 255/55/18 tires, which add 1" sidewall.
This wheelset will NOT work for MYP - they don't clear the brake calipers. Other 18" wheels can, but you have to verify.

The 18" wheelset has helped. It's probably the least expense route to go.
But there's nothing you can do about the wheelbase length, which is a primary determinant of ride issues on uneven pavement.

Reactions: kindofblue

Attachments

• IMG_4861.JPG
    IMG_4861.JPG
    877.7 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: jebinc
are these a brand new offering? Anyone else have them yet or you will be one of the first? Contemplating a set myself
Unplugged Performance has some comfort springs (stock height) that are supposed to soften the ride. About $2K less than their coilovers. I have some on order. In 8-12 weeks, I'll let you know if it improves the ride.
@Redekw did you end up installing the UPP comfort springs? If so, did they make a difference? I'm thinking about installing the Comfort Coilovers but would prefer to just do springs if that helped. Thanks!