Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension and Ride Comfort Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked Tesla about the suspension when I was last at the service center. They said there have been no suspension component revisions since the Y was released. (I have an early 2020 build.) This squares with the parts catalog which shows a single set of springs and dampers regardless of VIN. So I think the anecdotes of newer Y's feeling softer can't be related to the suspension. Maybe there's something else going on, or maybe it's just rationalization bias for upgrading to a newer Y :p.
Based on my research into this, I agree with this post.

• Informative
Reactions: Exelion
2 ways to improve the ride of a car.
1 better Tires (tried and true on every car I have owned, from small cars, to small suvs) i will be getting the new michelin ones coming out next month
2 suspension upgrade ( i want to go this route but 3k is a lot to spend... especially if the ride isn't horrible[about the same as my 18 prime but being higher up helps] Saving that 4k for the EAP i hope is coming soon., if not then maybe i will do.
Exactly which Michelins are you talking about? Exactly what size?

I believe its these Michelin Pilot Sport EV's:

Which, I think, will be available in these sizes:

255/45R19
235/45R20
255/40R20
255/35R21
275/35R21

Which look like they follow closely to the Model Y's tire sizes...

Last edited:
Reactions: whisperingshad
The Michelins look like a great option. I'd go with them on a set of the Martians in 18's and hopefully improve ride, handling and acceleration.

As to the original OPs post, almost sounds like our situation to a T. We didn't end up with the MYP but the main reason we didn't was because of how bad the ride was for us.

I just ordered the Vredestein Quatrac Pros and expect to have them installed later this week. I am trying to improve the ride - starting with the lowest cost options. From what I have read, these tires should improve the ride and snow handling significantly. I have the 19" Geminis and unhappy with the OEM Continental tires over any kind of broken pavement. Anyone interested in the Continental tires (with less than 500 miles), let me know.

255/45R19
235/45R20
255/40R20
255/35R21
275/35R21

I can confirm that Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 ride is softer than anything I had so far.
I had Gemini with stock Continental's and I also tried 21 Uberturbines with Pirelli's.
After 21 Uberturbines the ride is much softer and more forgiving, but at the same time it is less sporty and refined.

I am also waiting to hit 10k on the car, from what I read about 8k the ride softens as well.

255/45R19
235/45R20
255/40R20
255/35R21
275/35R21

this isn't available yet for tesla? sounds like they are worth waiting for! I might delay buying new rims until these are out.

I can confirm that Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 ride is softer than anything I had so far.
I had Gemini with stock Continental's and I also tried 21 Uberturbines with Pirelli's.
After 21 Uberturbines the ride is much softer and more forgiving, but at the same time it is less sporty and refined.

I am also waiting to hit 10k on the car, from what I read about 8k the ride softens as well.
How big of a difference?

It's not clear to me, what SIZE Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 are you running? Which wheels? Thanks.

At 9k miles, yes, 19" Gemini, ContiProContact, ride softer than when new, but will have MPP Coilovers installed today.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I just ordered the Vredestein Quatrac Pros and expect to have them installed later this week. I am trying to improve the ride - starting with the lowest cost options. From what I have read, these tires should improve the ride and snow handling significantly. I have the 19" Geminis and unhappy with the OEM Continental tires over any kind of broken pavement. Anyone interested in the Continental tires (with less than 500 miles), let me know.
How do you like the Vredestein? I know it’s early but did you notice anything with efficiency?

I have zero issues with the ride comfort. I think some people maybe Comparing the ride comfort to their last car they owned. Having the vast majority of the weight underneath you rather than in front of you is a whole different animal. I love how my Tesla sucks to the ground around tight corners at high speed. If bad roads are causing some issues maybe sitting on pillow will help?

I have zero issues with the ride comfort. I think some people maybe Comparing the ride comfort to their last car they owned. Having the vast majority of the weight underneath you rather than in front of you is a whole different animal. I love how my Tesla sucks to the ground around tight corners at high speed. If bad roads are causing some issues maybe sitting on pillow will help?
Honestly its not the at speed ride, its the going over dips, bumps etc.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
If you drive the M3P, M3 LR, MYP, and MY LR back to back, there is quite a variation in ride quality. The issue I had most with the MYP was that it wasn't very supple over the smaller bumps (part of that likely due to tires) and could crash into the bump stops pretty easily when cornering fairly enthusiastically (7/10ths pace). The M3P was better than the MYP. The M3 LR was just a touch better than the MY LR overall and definitely felt more nimble without being harsh.

I ended up going with a set of 19x8.5" wheels that were much lighter than stock. It made a very significant difference. I won't say it transformed the car in daily driving but it might be pretty close to that. I have a bunch of cobblestone sections coming into where I live. I just hated driving over these before but now they are a lot less noticeable. Normal driving it seems more nimble and on bigger bumps, the tires seem better dampened by the shocks.

Ride quality is of course subjective. Environment plays a big impact (pardon the pun) as well. I live in Florida and we have quite a bit of smooth roads with little frost damage. Almost anything can seem good on those roads. There are also some that are pretty beat up due to heavy trucks and lack of maintenance as well. There is a ton of road construction going on in my area too. In those bad areas, I would have given the MYP a 3-4, and stock MY LR 5-6. I would say the wheels have put it up to about a solid 8 or more. Not luxury car level smoothness but a lot more composed overall, with less jarring impacts and more fun to drive. I have no idea if maximum lateral grip has been impacted and honestly I don't care. I didn't buy it to rip up backroads and the cornering limits don't seem to be worse based on my normal driving patterns.

The wheels were a far sight cheaper than suspension and would compliment any suspension work anyway. Not to mention I like the looks a lot better than stock.

Reactions: rlora
I was in the same boat as the OP. I liked the MYP ride but my wife missed the air ride of my Model X (it felt like driving a boat to me). The first change I made was to 19" wheels for the winter. The ride was definitely smoother but not night and day. When spring rolled around, I went back to the 21" but this time with lightweight forged wheels. Each wheel is 14lbs lighter than the stock Uberturbines. This combo was noticeably smoother than the 19"s. Finally, I've installed the MPP coilovers. That made a big improvement as well. I usually run them on the softest settings but I have them cranked up at the moment because I'm going to the track this weekend. With my lightweight wheels and softest shock settings, it feels like a Lexus or X5. I'm very happy with it.