Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension and Ride Comfort Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the idea is to get more sidewall to better absorb the road imperfections, smooth out the ride a little.
To a small degree, tire pressure can also be adjusted to suit. But this only provides a very minor benefit. BTW, low AND higher should be tried.

The Model YLR standard suspension uses a 28" diameter tire on a 19" wheel. Size 255/45/19 is standard.
245=width, 45=aspect ratio (width to sidewall height), 19=wheel size.

It can accommodate a tire up to 29" in diameter (tall). That's a realworld max, although some might say a 29.5" would fit.
The determining factor for max tire diameter is the knuckle on the upper wishbone. There's close to 3/4" clearance above the tread of a 255/45 tire.
A 1 one inch added tire diameter adds 1/2 inch (above and below the tire equator) and it clears. That distance never changes regardless of wheel movement.

It gets tricky when considering tire WIDTH. This is really only an issue on the front, where the tires are turned L/R, and clearance needs to be determined.
You can eyeball this with the MY. Since the car rides so high, there's a lot of room.
Sitting in the car and turning the steering wheel lock-lock will show how much space is available.

Here's a link to sizing calculator, showing dimensions of various tire sizes of your choosing and comparison tools.
So to simplify all that for a tire idiot, basically a 29' tire would give an extra half inch or whatever sidewall and therefore should be a more comfortable ride? And them maybe take out a few PSI and that's probably the best you can do? Does width matter? Would you want the widest 29' tire that would fit, for either more comfort or less road noise?

Last edited:
So to simplify all that for a tire idiot, basically a 29' tire would give an extra half inch or whatever sidewall and therefore should be a more comfortable ride? And them maybe take out a few PSI and that's probably the best you can do?
That's about the least expensive approach. Try tire pressure first. The options for tires on a 19" wheel aren't plentiful, but they exist.
Hang on another week - I'm getting a set of 255/55/18 AT tires (BFG Terra-Terrain) put on Tesla 18" Aero wheels and throwing them on my new MY as a test.

I have a twice-a-month need to drive thru a rock garden spillway from a small dam to access a dirt road facility.
I made it with the stock Gemini wheels and Conti tires, and 6.5" ground clearance, but it was a nail-biter for both tires and clearance.
The Conti's aren't designed to handle rock gardens....and the clearance was, oh boy, marginal for river rocks.
BTW the Conti's are pretty good on good roads. Quiet and smooth. But then they should be....

There are others who have blazed this trail (ahem) before me and done the same, so it's not a real risk that the setup won't fit.
But it will give me some direct experience with a taller more robust tire, the ride quality of the larger diameter, and additional noise from aggressive tread design.

I'll report back after next weekend.

Reactions: Wigan
So to simplify all that for a tire idiot, basically a 29' tire would give an extra half inch or whatever sidewall and therefore should be a more comfortable ride? And them maybe take out a few PSI and that's probably the best you can do? Does width matter? Would you want the widest 29' tire that would fit, for either more comfort or less road noise?
You don't necessarily want the widest tire. If comfort is primary concern the taller tire will give you more damping. Adding a wider tire is just adding more losses unless you want more grip on top of the change.

Reactions: Wigan and tangible1
So here's what you're looking at.
Tire pressure alone isn't going to accomplish much but make you feel like you're doing something.
I'll provide more info in the coming day or two, but adding sidewall is a definite improvement. Takes a lot of the jiggle out of the system.

Today I mounted a set of BFG Terra-Terrain 255/55/18 on an 18" Model 3 Aero wheelset and threw them on my MYLR.
Note these are 18, not 19" tires, and you have 19" Gemini wheels. Which I have also, but I chose to get another wheelset because I want mostly to run the Gemini's.
I may re-think that, as the new BFG's definitely smooth things out. Even though they're over-inflated - 46 psi from the shop install right now.
And they're All Terrain tires, not known to be quiet or smooth riding !!!! But they are. I can barely tell any difference, and wouldn't if not listening hard.

A 255/50/19 would provide a very similar tire dimension to what I mounted today - 1/2" less sidewall, but same width and diameter.
And that added sidewall seems to make a substantial difference. You can look at the attachment for the dimensional comparison, and go to that website to play with numbers.
You'll find that going to a wider tire will also get more sidewall, but....the 255/55/18 has just 1/8" clearance at full lock.
Full lock is rarely ever done, and certainly not at speed (Full lock is the steering wheel turned all the way in one direction). But you shouldn't get a 29" diameter tire wider than 10".

In summary, I would suggest that when you wear out your OEM tires (or they wear you out), pick a replacement set that's 255/50/19. Whatever brand you prefer.
Net cost is the tires....maybe $800-1000. You're in the Carolinas so I'm not sure you do snow tires, but that's a thought too. Try that size in snows.
BTW, the BFG's I mounted are 3-Peak Mountain snow-rated too.
Costs - $212 at America's Tire (Discount Tire Shops nationally), and the Aero wheels net cost me $100 each. Unfortunately, the shop demanded I get TPMS sensors - 75 each.

Critical dimension guides:
1. Steering knuckle (ball joint centered above the tire on the upper wishbone) is the diameter limiter. You must not rub on that. The 29" tire has 3/8 clearance - very good.
2. Full lock steering wheel rotation provides the width limit info - you don't want to rub the wheel well. The 29" x 10" tire has 1/8" clearance at full lock - good enough.
3. Wheel (rim) width (not diameter) should be compatible with the tire width. Tire specs will guide what wheel size is applicable, +/- 1/2 inch is okay.
4. Wheel offset needs to be compatible with the suspension. This is a bit more nuanced, but if you use the factory wheels, you're good.
5. Any wheel you use must provide clearance for the brake calipers (the M3 18" Aero wheelset does NOT clear the bigger MYP brake calipers).

Finally
I'll check in after a couple more days playing with this setup. But
- I've already run thru severe roadway dips (rain troughs) that used to bounce me like hell. Not any more...
- I've run smooth pavement, looking for increased noise. Nope !!
- I've run uneven pavement, and the jangling has become muted.

There are limits to the MYLR chassis that only a longer wheelbase would help.
There are limits to what the stock dampers / springs can achieve, which can only be improved via UPP, MPP, Redwood suspension kits costing $3-5K.
So taller tires with more sidewall are, so far, looking like a very good approach to the problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 19-43-20 Tire Size Calculator.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 19-43-20 Tire Size Calculator.png
    556.6 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Based on tangible1's comments, I looked on Tire Rack and found these with the best ride comfort for the MYLR:

Pirelli SCORPION AS PLUS 3 - SIZE: 255/50R19 107V XL​

For the past several decades I've stuck with Bridgestone or Michelin, so I don't have any experience with Pirelli. But even my wife has complained about the OEM tires and she rarely rides in my car. And I agree with her.

Does anyone have any experience with these tires on MYLR; and is the ride difference noticeable? It doesn't snow here, and barely rains, so I don't need a winter tire.

Thanks,

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

e645824: "...best ride comfort..." is always subjective. Is that based on tread noise or tire comfort over harsh concrete cracks? These have a 107XL rating, meaning they can support slightly more weight than the 104XL. I'm wondering if that means a slightly stiffer sidewall, even though the aspect ratio is 50 vs. OEM 45?

With only 216k miles reported, I'm happy to wait to read more reviews. This tire does look like a good option. Thanks for posting!

e645824: "...best ride comfort..." is always subjective. Is that based on tread noise or tire comfort over harsh concrete cracks? These have a 107XL rating, meaning they can support slightly more weight than the 104XL. I'm wondering if that means a slightly stiffer sidewall, even though the aspect ratio is 50 vs. OEM 45?

With only 216k miles reported, I'm happy to wait to read more reviews. This tire does look like a good option. Thanks for posting!
I've been running the BFG Trail-Terrain 255/55/18 on M3 18" Aero wheels with the MYLR for 2+ weeks and ...... I'm wondering if I even want to bother going back to the OEM Continentals on 19" Gemini wheels. I have planned on switching over to the BFG's about 10 days a month.
But I'm very pleased with this setup, might just stay with it all the time.

I'm not getting additional noise like I expected, they are quiet, even though they're A/T tires.
The extra cushioning of 1" extra sidewall makes the ride more comfortable without question. It still gets jiggly on uneven pavement, but speed bumps and dips are good.
They've got a 60K mile warranty; the Conti's aren't likely to go much over 25K.

So I can solidly report that sidewall buys some comfort. Getting a 29" diameter tire will definitely get you some cush, especially if you go to an 18" wheel.
However, it's not going to fix the fundamentals of wheelbase length and spring/damper stiffness. There's still some jiggle that's uncomfortable.
But it's well mitigated by larger tires.

I can't speak for anyone else, I'm not looking for a racecar, just a boulevard cruiser with some punch, but this experiment has been well worth the 2K I put into it.
So as I summarized earlier, when the OEM tires wear out, or wear you out, try a larger diameter tire, up to 29".

Oh, I should add tire pressure info. I've settled on 40lbs cold. Comes up to about 45 on the highway. Works good. Could go to 39 if driving hard.

Last edited:
I've been running the BFG Trail-Terrain 255/55/18 on M3 18" Aero wheels with the MYLR for 2+ weeks and ...... I'm wondering if I even want to bother going back to the OEM Continentals on 19" Gemini wheels. I have planned on switching over to the BFG's about 10 days a month.
But I'm very pleased with this setup, might just stay with it all the time.

I'm not getting additional noise like I expected, they are quiet, even though they're A/T tires.
The extra cushioning of 1" extra sidewall makes the ride more comfortable without question. It still gets jiggly on uneven pavement, but speed bumps and dips are good.
They've got a 60K mile warranty; the Conti's aren't likely to go much over 25K.

So I can solidly report that sidewall buys some comfort. Getting a 29" diameter tire will definitely get you some cush, especially if you go to an 18" wheel.
However, it's not going to fix the fundamentals of wheelbase length and spring/damper stiffness. There's still some jiggle that's uncomfortable.
But it's well mitigated by larger tires.

I can't speak for anyone else, I'm not looking for a racecar, just a boulevard cruiser with some punch, but this experiment has been well worth the 2K I put into it.
So as I summarized earlier, when the OEM tires wear out, or wear you out, try a larger diameter tire, up to 29".

Oh, I should add tire pressure info. I've settled on 40lbs cold. Comes up to about 45 on the highway. Works good. Could go to 39 if driving hard.
Yeah 255/55/18 are the ticket. I switched over to that size on my MYLR. Thought about the BFGs but decided to go with V rated Falken Wildpeak AT Trails and have been very happy with comfort and overall lack of NVH. I also run them at 40 psi cold and they are PERFECT.

Yeah 255/55/18 are the ticket. I switched over to that size on my MYLR. Thought about the BFGs but decided to go with V rated Falken Wildpeak AT Trails and have been very happy with comfort and overall lack of NVH. I also run them at 40 psi cold and they are PERFECT.
I have zero experience with A/T tires; I just went with reviews and the marketing blurbs saying the BFG's were designed to be highway quiet as well as A/T capable.
And of course, price. America's Tire only needed 212 per tire. Deal !!! Figured I could dump them on Craig's List if it didn't work out. Obviously it has.

Just curious, what wheels did you go to? I'm actually happy with the M3 Aero wheels (sans the ugly hubcaps that I sold)

I have zero experience with A/T tires; I just went with reviews and the marketing blurbs saying the BFG's were designed to be highway quiet as well as A/T capable.
And of course, price. America's Tire only needed 212 per tire. Deal !!! Figured I could dump them on Craig's List if it didn't work out. Obviously it has.

Just curious, what wheels did you go to? I'm actually happy with the M3 Aero wheels (sans the ugly hubcaps that I sold)
I’m using Method 502 18x8 wheels, mainly due to their higher weight rating. There’s pics of them in some of my other posts.

So, slightly different discussion:

I have a 2022 Model Y LR with 19" wheels. Like some, I am looking for a more comfortable ride without lowering the height of the car.

I can report that lowering tire pressure from 42 to 38 definitely makes an improvement. Not enough, but it moves things in the right direction.

The other thing to consider is that I now have 4200 miles on the car and noted that the suspension is softer now than when the car had less than a couple of thousand miles - so, I would recommend waiting till you get this level of break-in before making any decisions about changing the suspension on the car. Someone else on this forum, actually suggested 10,000 miles - I don't know if I can wait that long...

Beyond the ride, which at this point I think is ALMOST ok - the car is excellent. It is quiet and rattle free.

At this point, I am seriously considering switching to coil overs - but am nervous about price and creating a new problem with the car such as suspension noises... that would be a disastrous result, given how quiet the car is now.

You guys will think I am crazy - but my plan is to leave the rear springs in place, replace the shock absorbers in rear and replace the entire strut assembly in the front. I think I am going with Redwood because of the 3 companies discussed in this forum, it is the only one with the front strut and rear shock absorber assemblies with adjustable perches (meaning I can lengthen the body of the strut assembly without compressing the spring or losing up/down range in the shock absorber). As the rear height will be precisely stock, I will adjust the front struts to get back to a level height.

Leaving the springs stock in the rear will allow me to keep the load carrying capacity of the car intact - especially since the most change in weight is occurring in the rear (adding extra passengers, luggage, etc...) For the rear, the shock absorbers will be adjusted to achieve a more comfortable ride (it may not be as successful as softening the rear springs also, but I think it is a better compromise.)

As the front struts do not "see" as much of the weight change as the rears, I think the new, softer, struts with springs from Redwood will also result in a better ride without a change in the car stance.

Any comments about my plan would be welcome...

John in LB: Hmm...I've put about 13k miles on the MPP coilovers, and I have absolutely ZERO suspension noise, Like your car, mine is rattle free and quiet...at 23k miles.

I'm not expert enough to agree/disagree with your possible plan of keeping the OEM rear springs. I'm just not sure you'll gain any additional load carrying capacity by doing so. I think the whole point of coilovers is buying a complete set of "matching" struts/springs.

I wonder if any of the 3 companies would be willing to offer an opinion here? We'd all benefit from the transparency.

So, slightly different discussion:

I have a 2022 Model Y LR with 19" wheels. Like some, I am looking for a more comfortable ride without lowering the height of the car.

I can report that lowering tire pressure from 42 to 38 definitely makes an improvement. Not enough, but it moves things in the right direction.

The other thing to consider is that I now have 4200 miles on the car and noted that the suspension is softer now than when the car had less than a couple of thousand miles - so, I would recommend waiting till you get this level of break-in before making any decisions about changing the suspension on the car. Someone else on this forum, actually suggested 10,000 miles - I don't know if I can wait that long...

Beyond the ride, which at this point I think is ALMOST ok - the car is excellent. It is quiet and rattle free.

At this point, I am seriously considering switching to coil overs - but am nervous about price and creating a new problem with the car such as suspension noises... that would be a disastrous result, given how quiet the car is now.

You guys will think I am crazy - but my plan is to leave the rear springs in place, replace the shock absorbers in rear and replace the entire strut assembly in the front. I think I am going with Redwood because of the 3 companies discussed in this forum, it is the only one with the front strut and rear shock absorber assemblies with adjustable perches (meaning I can lengthen the body of the strut assembly without compressing the spring or losing up/down range in the shock absorber). As the rear height will be precisely stock, I will adjust the front struts to get back to a level height.

Leaving the springs stock in the rear will allow me to keep the load carrying capacity of the car intact - especially since the most change in weight is occurring in the rear (adding extra passengers, luggage, etc...) For the rear, the shock absorbers will be adjusted to achieve a more comfortable ride (it may not be as successful as softening the rear springs also, but I think it is a better compromise.)

As the front struts do not "see" as much of the weight change as the rears, I think the new, softer, struts with springs from Redwood will also result in a better ride without a change in the car stance.

Any comments about my plan would be welcome...
You might discuss this with Redwood.
Dampers are designed to be used with a specific range of spring power.
Other than that, your thinking seems ok.

Another cosideration: more tire sidewall. Go to a 255/55/19 tire. That gets you 1/2 inch more cushion.
The stock tires (you're on 19" Gemini wheels) are 28" diameter. You can easily fit 29" diameter tires.

I'm located nearby. I can give you a demo ride on a second wheel/tire set I have that's 255/55/R18, which are 1 inch more sidewall.

Last edited:
Tangible1 and John in LB: Agree on taller sidewall tires. John: The MPP setup dropped the car about 1/2" all around, with full spring travel, AFAIK. I'm thinking of going to a 50 aspect ratio tire when the OEM ContiPros are finished. (They're wearing well, at 23k miles, prob at least another 10k...I don't abuse tires...or cars!) I'm thinking that the change from 45 to 50 will probably look just fine, returning the car to very close to OEM ride height.

Tangible1 and John in LB: Agree on taller sidewall tires. John: The MPP setup dropped the car about 1/2" all around, with full spring travel, AFAIK. I'm thinking of going to a 50 aspect ratio tire when the OEM ContiPros are finished. (They're wearing well, at 23k miles, prob at least another 10k...I don't abuse tires...or cars!) I'm thinking that the change from 45 to 50 will probably look just fine, returning the car to very close to OEM ride height.
Just to clarify, Pianewman: How well did the MPP setup work? Did it make a huge improvement? Or do you still feel the need to go to higher profile tires as you mentioned?

Keep in mind I live in the DFW, TX region, which is notorious for uneven aging concrete roads. That said, even with the MPP coilovers, there are neighborhoods that I avoid because of the harshness. Sadly, going in and out of my own neighborhood, and on my 3.5 mile commute, the concrete road is 25+ years old, uneven, and makes the best cars bob and weave. Our new-to-us 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited (15k miles) is marginally softer and smoother, quieter for sure, but still bobs over several of the worst cracks.

The MPPs DO make the suspension more predictable and controlled, seems to track better over road imperfections.

All of this is subjective, of course. I wish I could find a Redwood susp setup, so that I could do a side-by-side comparison.