Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension and Ride Comfort Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading about the suspension change on MY and M3 for many months now....at least since the time I've joined the forum back in March.
Many forum members that owned early model year MY report very noticeable improvements when they bought a recent 2022 MY.
2022 MYP owners reported that the suspension was softer than their original MYLRs.
Out of Spec had 2019 M3P next to 2022 M3P and found a way softer suspension.

The question is when this change occurred and what they did to make it happen?
The other question is whether this most recent mention by Elon is in reference to the previous change noted by many or another change that is just happening now. I suspect it is in relation to the previous change.

Reactions: Wilber
I've been reading about the suspension change on MY and M3 for many months now....at least since the time I've joined the forum back in March.
Many forum members that owned early model year MY report very noticeable improvements when they bought a recent 2022 MY.
2022 MYP owners reported that the suspension was softer than their original MYLRs.

The other question is whether this most recent mention by Elon is in reference to the previous change noted by many or another change that is just happening now. I suspect it is in relation to the previous change.
No one really knows and it's difficult (at best) to tell.
Unless there's a suspension part number change,all we'll ever get is anecdotal.

As I had posted earlier, I spoke with Bilstein contacts (from my racing days) last fall, and they indicated they had won a contract with Tesla to supply suspension bits, likely starting up late spring 2022. What that could mean, when it was to start, etc is all for speculation. I had been told by a guy without authorization.
Rumor quality.

I would add that there could have been two or more changes. Who knows? Perhaps one around the end of 2020 and another just a couple months ago? Sure would like to hear from Tesla about this!

I would add that there could have been two or more changes. Who knows? Perhaps one around the end of 2020 and another just a couple months ago? Sure would like to hear from Tesla about this!
Unless part number changes have been made to the springs and shocks individually (or version identifiers), we may never know.
Tesla has no history of making this information available.
All we've been told is that it's been modified.
And at that, mostly by the internet hype machine, and off-handedly 'confirmed' by and Elon tweet.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and Wilber
Unless part number changes have been made to the springs and shocks individually (or version identifiers), we may never know.
Tesla has no history of making this information available.
All we've been told is that it's been modified.
And at that, mostly by the internet hype machine, and off-handedly 'confirmed' by and Elon tweet.
This is a great thread. I’ve been looking at suspension options, but I like keeping cars more or less stock. I certainly don’t want to induce any suspension noise or reduce safety in anyway. In addition all the suspension options are pricy with not a lot of improvement if any at all.
So switching from 255/45R19 to 255/50R19 on the Gemini wheels will cause minor discrepancy in the speedometer, and a minor increase in comfort. Adjust air pressure about 38-40 PSI and its seems like a good combination
What tire seems to be the best for NVH?

Continental ExtremeContact Sport

Pirelli P Zero (PZ4)

Goodyear ElectricDrive GT

This is a great thread. I’ve been looking at suspension options, but I like keeping cars more or less stock. I certainly don’t want to induce any suspension noise or reduce safety in anyway. In addition all the suspension options are pricy with not a lot of improvement if any at all.
So switching from 255/45R19 to 255/50R19 on the Gemini wheels will cause minor discrepancy in the speedometer, and a minor increase in comfort. Adjust air pressure about 38-40 PSI and its seems like a good combination
What tire seems to be the best for NVH?

Continental ExtremeContact Sport

Pirelli P Zero (PZ4)

Goodyear ElectricDrive GT

since tire selection / NVH descriptions are so subjective, we are on our own.
people's understanding of, and abilty to communicate, their experience with tires and suspension are highly variable.

I take any 'recommendations' offered here with a measure of salt.
Tire Rack has reasonable review info but many aren't applicable to EV, and specifically, Tesla.
and the whole 'EV tire' market can be seen as a marketing splurge on existing tire tech.

I did the Tein shocks on just the rear of the 2020 Model Y, and lowered the PSI to 36 PSI. Wow, it's finally an acceptable ride now. Night and day different. My Tein shocks are set at 1/4 of max stiffness (set with 12 counterclockwise clicks from the max clockwise setting). The total cost was around $330 and the DIY was easy.

Last edited:
I did the Tein shocks on just the rear of the 2020 Model Y, and lowered the PSI to 36 PSI. Wow, it's finally an acceptable ride now. Night and day different. My Tein shocks are set at 1/4 of max stiffness (set with 12 counterclockwise clicks from the max clockwise setting). The total cost was around $330 and the DIY was easy.

Thank you for the feedback and video. Very useful. Will you consider upgrading the shocks in the front also or stay with just the back upgraded shocks?

Thank you for the feedback and video. Very useful. Will you consider upgrading the shocks in the front also or stay with just the back upgraded shocks?

Just the back. The back are very easy to replace, and easy to put back on if a warranty issue comes up. It's crazy how Tesla tries to wiggle out of warranty work, so I wouldn't want to give them the pleasure of finding a non-OEM suspension to make my life difficult, even if I win in the end.

Reactions: JonB65 and Occhis
Yeah 255/55/18 are the ticket. I switched over to that size on my MYLR. Thought about the BFGs but decided to go with V rated Falken Wildpeak AT Trails and have been very happy with comfort and overall lack of NVH. I also run them at 40 psi cold and they are PERFECT.

With that setup 255/55r18 what tire setup did you use in your Tesla config? I’m coming from 19 and installing the same setup Wednesday but wondering about the best setting to try and address the speed variance from different sized tires and rims.