Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I have 35k miles on MPP ComfortCoils. Are there coilovers available that have done a better job creating comfort since my MPPs were installed 2 years ago? I hope so! Two years is a long time for others to develop struts/shocks/springs.

I don't dislike the MPPs, for my own purposes. My disappointment occurs when my wife, who drives a 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited, rides in the car.

(Thread drift: 2019 Avalon Hybrid: I just replaced its Michelin PilotSport AS 4s, with 37k miles on them, with Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3s. They are considerably softer and less harsh than the 5/32" Michelin tread. I might try them on my 2021 MYLR when its PilotSport tires are worn out.)
Nice insight on the MPP.

I have typically been a Michelin user religiously.
The reason I didn’t go with the PilotSport series this time is bc I am not really interested in the sport aspect with these. I don’t foresee any extreme track days upcoming on the model y.

I’ll have to give the pirellis a shot eventually.

I’d assume with an Avalon regardless of tire, the suspension is just a hair below Lexus.
I used to own 5 or 6 ls430s prior to making the switch the Tesla. The non “sport” suspension always drove smooth as butter.

Nice insight on the MPP.

I have typically been a Michelin user religiously.
The reason I didn’t go with the PilotSport series this time is bc I am not really interested in the sport aspect with these. I don’t foresee any extreme track days upcoming on the model y.

I’ll have to give the pirellis a shot eventually.

I’d assume with an Avalon regardless of tire, the suspension is just a hair below Lexus.
I used to own 5 or 6 ls430s prior to making the switch the Tesla. The non “sport” suspension always drove smooth as butter.
Is your goal LS430 ride quality? That’s a tall order.

How would you say it currently compares with the 235/60R18 tires? What are you looking to improve other than getting the height back down?
The tire size is actually amazing and almost at the comfort level I need.
Highways are excellent.
It’s lower speed maneuvers that need help.
And like you said the lowered height.
I was actually thinking about it while driving today, main reason for all the work now is just a bit more comfort and reduced height.

The tire size is actually amazing and almost at the comfort level I need.
Highways are excellent.
It’s lower speed maneuvers that need help.
And like you said the lowered height.
I was actually thinking about it while driving today, main reason for all the work now is just a bit more comfort and reduced height.

From what I read, those shocks should do the trick.
I’ve had custom valved KW V2’s on different cars in the past and I could change how the car felt quite a bit with those. Hopefully, these shocks do the trick for you.

Zevcentric advised you correctly. As you’re not looking to lower a lot, Tein dampers w your choice of springs is the ticket.

Enjoy!
Well that’s quite reassuring to hear.
Thanks for chiming in.

@MattM24
@Pianewman

So just thinking aloud here.
Tein shocks can be paired with oem springs or lowering springs…supposedly.
In theory oem shocks can also be paired with oem springs or lowering springs but this results in inferior ride quality.
Wouldn’t this also hold true to the Tein shock to a certain degree?
Let’s say Tein shock has 10 inches of total travel. Paired with Oem spring allows 9 inches of travel. Lowering spring allows 8 inches of travel. Haven’t you decreased the total allowable travel distance and in turn sacrifice ride quality? Even if it is only by 10-15%?
Of course these are theoretical numbers. But still…
Thoughts?

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Thanks for chiming in.

@MattM24
@Pianewman

In theory oem shocks can also be paired with oem springs or lowering springs but this results in inferior ride quality.
Let’s say Tein shock has 10 inches of total travel. Paired with Oem spring allows 9 inches of travel. Lowering spring allows 8 inches of travel. Haven’t you decreased the total allowable travel distance and in turn sacrifice ride quality? Even if it is only by 10-15%?
Thoughts?
The internal valving varies wildly between OEM and Teins/KW/MPP/etc. The valving is what the main differences are as opposed to shock travel.

Thanks for chiming in.

@MattM24
@Pianewman

Thoughts?
It would depend on if that extra inch had you hitting the bump stops.
In theory, it would be worse, but I don’t know in practice on this car.

There are so many variables, when you're mixing manufacturers: struts/shocks and springs.

My conclusion? I wouldn't mix and match. You may end up with the exact match, for YOUR expectations, and YOUR tire/wheel setup, but you also might arrive at an unacceptable solution., In my opinion, this just proves the importance of going with a single company and trusting their R & D.

I'm not criticizing any of the manufacturers we're discussing, simply stating what is probably obvious to all of us.

Sigh...final conclusion? YMMV!!!

The internal valving varies wildly between OEM and Teins/KW/MPP/etc. The valving is what the main differences are as opposed to shock travel.
Makes perfect sense!
It would depend on if that extra inch had you hitting the bump stops.
In theory, it would be worse, but I don’t know in practice on this car.
Thanks for all your input, will post an update once everything is said and done.
There are so many variables, when you're mixing manufacturers: struts/shocks and springs.

My conclusion? I wouldn't mix and match. You may end up with the exact match, for YOUR expectations, and YOUR tire/wheel setup, but you also might arrive at an unacceptable solution., In my opinion, this just proves the importance of going with a single company and trusting their R & D.

I'm not criticizing any of the manufacturers we're discussing, simply stating what is probably obvious to all of us.

Sigh...final conclusion? YMMV!!!
I appreciate your input!

I didn't read you referencing Redwood Motorsports, which use Ohlins based coilovers. They are considered at the top for comfort, albeit at a higher price than MPP or UP. I placed my order for them, along with rear camber and toe control arms, but am still waiting for the order. Check them out before making your final decision,
You are right I did not reference them due to pricing.
I just don’t want to spend that much on the setup.
Rishie from Zevcentric has convinced me the Tein/Eibach combo should fit my needs pretty well.
I’ve already placed my order, just waiting for back ordered parts to be shipped.

Reactions: miracj
Did you already purchase the Teins/Eibachs? We have them in stock.

We've also been installing the new ST Coilover packages, these are a great single-way entry coilover which are perfect for daily drivers for not much more in cost than than the Tein/Eibachs, and you get a matched setup.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll be happy to help.

Did you already purchase the Teins/Eibachs? We have them in stock.

We've also been installing the new ST Coilover packages, these are a great single-way entry coilover which are perfect for daily drivers for not much more in cost than than the Tein/Eibachs, and you get a matched setup.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll be happy to help.
I have already ordered.
Zevcentric was awesome with answering the countless questions.
Thanks for replying.

I recently installed Tein EnduraPro Plus shocks on my 22 MYP. After completing the install and taking my car for a test drive, the installer tech commented that these shocks give the same level of comfort as his own Tesla which has MPP coils on it. And given that I’m on 21” Uberturbines and his car is on 19’s, he was quite impressed.

If you’re interested in just comfort, I highly recommend the Teins.

I recently installed Tein EnduraPro Plus shocks on my 22 MYP. After completing the install and taking my car for a test drive, the installer tech commented that these shocks give the same level of comfort as his own Tesla which has MPP coils on it. And given that I’m on 21” Uberturbines and his car is on 19’s, he was quite impressed.

If you’re interested in just comfort, I highly recommend the Teins.
Pretty impressive!!
It will be a few weeks before I’ll be getting my shocks and springs installed.
Installer has some scheduling issues so taking advantage of that time to get some last minute warranty work in before I kill the warranty.

Reactions: Jovo