Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd get the EnduraPlus Pros over the FlexZ. IMHO, The FlexZ is just not a really good coilover kit - it's popular because its cheap, even though some shops market it as a performance suspension. If you get a chance to drive in a Model Y with a MPP, Ohlins or KW/ST setup, you'll immediately notice how they outperform the FlexZ by a longshot.

Suspension can really make or break the overall driving experience. If budget is really the limiting factor, I'd rather see people at least getting the MPP Comfort Coilovers (we just got a few sets in this week) or the ST Suspensions kit. You really get what you pay for.
Were you one of the chosen few to test out the new MPP non adjustable?
Seems someone just posted a review but thats one person out of 100s probably going to be installed soon.
Just wondering why you suggest the ST over MPP?
I have tried everything with the Tein but just cant find a sweet spot....yet.

Were you one of the chosen few to test out the new MPP non adjustable?
Seems someone just posted a review but thats one person out of 100s probably going to be installed soon.
Just wondering why you suggest the ST over MPP?
I have tried everything with the Tein but just cant find a sweet spot....yet.
These are 2 different kits, but in the budget price range. ST is height/dampening adjustable, the MPP Comfort is only height adjustable.

We've already installed a couple sets of the MPP Confort coilovers already, the kit is great, as expected from MPP. Have more kits on the way that should be landing this week.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I'd get the EnduraPlus Pros over the FlexZ. IMHO, The FlexZ is just not a really good coilover kit - it's popular because its cheap, even though some shops market it as a performance suspension. If you get a chance to drive in a Model Y with a MPP, Ohlins or KW/ST setup, you'll immediately notice how they outperform the FlexZ by a longshot.

Suspension can really make or break the overall driving experience.
If budget is really the limiting factor, I'd rather see people at least getting the MPP Comfort Coilovers (we just got a few sets in this week) or the ST Suspensions kit. You really get what you pay for.

THIS 100%. If one is considering a suspension upgrade towards performance or comfort, you need to commit. the price paid for those more expensive setups are all in QA, testing, and overall quality. Not to say Tein is worse, they have higher end products, it's just in comparison to what's available within our scope isn't so great.

I've also heard Tein Endura Pro Plus Dampers are next level over FlexZ, dare I say this including off the shelf Ohlins R&T DFV's, not the custom Redwood Ohlins. if comfort is the goal.

Ohlin R&T's are RAW and much more aggressive than Redwoods custom Ohlins, just wanted to put that out there haha. If you're looking for all out performance, than those are it! Ask me how i know. 😎

I echo Tom here, suspension can make or break the overall experience. Bottom line folks should really compare and contrast in cars with different setups where possible to get a feel of what is right for them. even better join local autocross, typically have a few Tesla drivers there who are happy to help.

Last edited:
THIS 100%. If one is considering a suspension upgrade towards performance or comfort, you need to commit. the price paid for those more expensive setups are all in QA, testing, and overall quality. Not to say Tein is worse, they have higher end products, it's just in comparison to what's available within our scope isn't so great.

I've also heard Tein Endura Pro Plus Dampers are next level over FlexZ, dare I say this including off the shelf Ohlins R&T DFV's, not the custom Redwood Ohlins. if comfort is the goal. Ohlin R&T's are RAW and much more aggressive than Redwoods custom Ohlins, just wanted to put that out there haha.

I echo Tom here, suspension can make or break the overall experience. Bottom line folks should really compare and contrast in cars with different setups where possible to get a feel of what is right for them. even better join local autocross, typically have a few Tesla drivers there who are happy to help.
there is no substitute for knowledge and experience.
very few people truly understand vehicle suspensions, and the marketing of them doesn't help.
suspension is also very subjective. one person's objectives, needs. and desires are not another's.
most people have experience only with cars they've previously owned and never thought much about their ride qualities.

some suggestions:
find a shop that can do demos. ask them stupid questions, don't be embarrassed, its your money.
find locals that have the suspension of interest installed and will do a demo ride. (ask on this blog for instance)
make sure to pick out a few roadways in advance that will test what you'd like to improve upon from the current suspension you have.

understand whether the new kit can support OEM ride height, or not. (most require some lowering, leading to alignment changes and possibly additional parts needed)
find out if the warranty requires parts return, and if so, what the shop can do to support you while its in process.

in short, it takes time, and learning as much as you can beforehand will make for better decisions.
YMMV

there is no substitute for knowledge and experience.
very few people truly understand vehicle suspensions, and the marketing of them doesn't help.
suspension is also very subjective. one person's objectives, needs. and desires are not another's.
most people have experience only with cars they've previously owned and never thought much about their ride qualities.

some suggestions:
find a shop that can do demos. ask them stupid questions, don't be embarrassed, its your money.
find locals that have the suspension of interest installed and will do a demo ride. (ask on this blog for instance)
make sure to pick out a few roadways in advance that will test what you'd like to improve upon from the current suspension you have.

understand whether the new kit can support OEM ride height, or not. (most require some lowering, leading to alignment changes and possibly additional parts needed)
find out if the warranty requires parts return, and if so, what the shop can do to support you while its in process.

in short, it takes time, and learning as much as you can beforehand will make for better decisions.
YMMV
Agree completely. Most have this stigma that all performance suspensions are stiff and unsuitable for daily driving, and never have had the opportunity to ride in a a vehicle with a proper suspension setup. For the past 20+ years, we've been installing, stocking and testing various parts and giving our own reviews on how they perform when asked for recommendations, without sugarcoating it.

The fact that we're giving advice on what not to purchase rather than simply jumping at the easiest sale should speak hopefully speak volumes.

Hi, I posted the kinda basic review of new MPP non adjustables and was worried that after install it would make things worse - admit that the 23 comfort suspension had calmed down after like 4k miles but still on rough highway where I would feel wiped out by the vibration generated.. so my kids said after the install the car felt faster? Later they said smoother.. ill take it ..

Take that advice carefully.
It’s internet advise.
I wouldn’t count my life on it!
I picked up a set of M3 Aero wheels to run knobbies on (BFG Trail-Terrains) for some minor off-roading I do.
There just aren't tires for that in a 19" sizing.
Unless you're carrying major loads or towing something significant, the wheel load rating of the M3 18" wheel is sufficient.

Note that M3 Aero wheels do not fit over MYP rear wheel brake calipers of prior years. I have not checked lately, after reports that MYP now uses MYLR rear calipers.

A full load-rated wheel would be a Method 502, for example. But 3x what I paid for the M3 Aeros.

• Informative
Reactions: Jigglypuff