Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a set of wheels nearby for 500 on craigslist. Am tempted.
Great price.

Mind you one thing I did notice is that the oem 19s give me better consumption numbers than the 18s.
Very odd but I assume it’s bc of my oversized tires, despite the significant weight difference. Again this is with the fast ev 18 inch rims, not oem 18 inch.
Touring tire with Skinnier width and beefier sidewall along with lower psi probably wasn’t a genuine idea. I could feel the mushiness in the turns.

Great price.

Mind you one thing I did notice is that the oem 19s give me better consumption numbers than the 18s.
Very odd but I assume it’s bc of my oversized tires, despite the significant weight difference. Again this is with the fast ev 18 inch rims, not oem 18 inch.
Touring tire with Skinnier width and beefier sidewall along with lower psi probably wasn’t a genuine idea. I could feel the mushiness in the turns.
I'm already lifted a bit, between Ohlins and larger tires on 19" wheels, so I'll be OK. I should be picking the wheels up Monday morning. It's a good thing I'm making room in the garage.

Great price.

Is that accounting for the larger diameter or just based on the number on the screen?

Last edited:
I’d that accounting for the larger diameter or just based on the number on the screen?
That does take into account the larger diameter.
The oversized wheels made my speedo 2mph hour faster slower pretty much across the board.
Not sure if I was calculating right but I figured the number shown on the screen was over by about 3%.
300 wh/ml was actually 291 wh/ml.
Stayed on those tires for about 8k miles, reset the trip meter to keep track of the consumption. After switch to the oem wheels, average is dropping fast, and that's only after about 500 miles. Not a huge difference but just thought that I was see significantly better consumption numbers with the lighter smaller wheels.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MattM24
The oversized wheels made my speedo 2mph hour faster pretty much across the board.
Not sure if I was calculating right but I figured the number shown on the screen was over by about 3%.
Stayed on those tires for about 8k miles, reset the trip meter to keep track of the consumption. After switch to the oem wheels, average is dropping fast, and that's only after about 500 miles. Not a huge difference but just thought that I was see significantly better consumption numbers with the lighter smaller wheels.
Good to know. How’s the ride with the factory wheels and the suspension?

The oversized wheels made my speedo 2mph hour faster pretty much across the board.
actually, larger diameter tires make your speedo indicate SLOWER than actual. Your offset of approx 2% is correct, just the other way....
larger diameter = fewer rotations per mile....
same with your odometer; it will register FEWER miles driven.

That’s too bad. Good luck! Are there any review of the MPP non adjustable yet?
BIG thanks to @MountainPass for the great product and a quicker delivery than expected!! Happy to be driving a more stable and comfortable model y.. I know some people are pushing 23 MYLR comfort as the something great but compared to my wife’s 2022 RDX its still feels like a bumpy go cart w too much suspension noise.. Initial Impressions - less dive w acceleration and breaking, more stable with Boosted power on turns and straights.. less jittery and bouncy.. seems to take bigger bumps better.. I expect it will take a little time to settle and soften up more. I am happy with the upgrade!.. We only lowered it about 1/2 in to avoid rear camber arms, but may go lower later… special thanks to TheDriveway in San Jose for a great install experience as they know mountain pass products.. one stop shop…. BTW I read everything here and spoke w ZEV, EAS,UP and this seemed to be the best price point for a no brainer upgrade.. I will update more as I get more miles on it.. today is the Tesla mobile install of the spoiler for 550$ .. and I will be done.. may be.. :)

There is…only one so far.
He seemed happy.

One isn’t very helpful on such a subjective field.

Depends if you want to spend the money.

The only good thing will be knowing that it’s a matched set, so it perform well. It’s just a matter of whether or not that is how you want the car to perform.

Have you checked suspension bushings to see if you have other problems? Like torn front lower control arm bushings?

i dont trust any of it. Don’t forget your setup was recommended by zev. At the end of the day its your money out of your pocket.
You are correct. It was recommended by zev.
He’s been nothing but helpful through the whole ordeal.
He actually talked me out of mpp into Tein bc he said the Tein has been more comfortable than mpp, which is what we’ve all been hearing. Not saying better, but more comfortable, seeing comfort was my highest priority.
Rishie has actually been awesome!
He’s even offering to make it right for me.
I don’t blame him for any of this, in fact I’m very pleased I was dealing with him this whole time!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimilol
One isn’t very helpful on such a subjective field.

Depends if you want to spend the money.

The only good thing will be knowing that it’s a matched set, so it perform well. It’s just a matter of whether or not that is how you want the car to perform.

Have you checked suspension bushings to see if you have other problems? Like torn front lower control arm bushings?
Unfortunately that is the only review I’ve seen this far.
A matched set is indeed more preferable perhaps. This is why I was leaning towards the flex z but seems the shocks were supposed to be more comfortable.
Perhaps the old mpp was more performance oriented while the new ones are more aimed towards comfort. I really don’t know anymore.

I haven’t checked bushings but I’m assuming installer would have noticed that. Or even the alignment tech. Could’ve been missed, I’ll check it out.

May be going back to oem for the time being….
I won’t be looking back after I park. 😢

IMG_4671.jpeg