Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He says stiff on the motorway. On the countryside, he praises the precision. On the city, yes, everyone is upset.
On well kept roads the MY is on a par with the M3 and they have at least got rid of some of the crashyness, but on bumpy B-roads in particular it comes across as overly stiff and suffers from bump steer much more than the M3 which a lot of drivers and passengers won't like in a car aimed at the SUV/family market. Suspension is very subjective though, and one person's 'sporty' is another person's 'harsh'.

Reactions: Martin J
Most cars, with the performance capabilities of the 3 and Y have pretty stiff suspensions.

German cars are usually tuned to offer taught rides, and excel at 120+ speeds, due to their unlimited speeds on the Autobahn.
Most other cars do not tune for such high speeds, as their regional freeways have much lower speed limits.

The video offers pretty great praise for the car, until he takes it on super broken tarmac, where he finds it terrible. If you often ride on broken tarmac, you might also not be satisfied with your ride.

WIth the increasing volume of Tesla, it is only a matter of time until Bilstein and others begin to offer better shocks for these cars.

Sandy Monro noticed, years ago, that Tesla had mounting accomodations on their earlier Model 3s. He suspected that they were their to make offering air suspension at some time in the future. That future has not yet arrived.

On the other hand, the Model S and X come standard with remarkable adaptible air suspension systems that give a rewarding combination of soft and quiet ride, along with excellent handling at both low and high speeds.

Reactions: QuanTim
To be absolutely clear, he says, and I quote, "It doesn't feel safe".
Thomas was saying that in reference to going 220km on the Autobahn in terrible conditions. I know he is used to well planted, high-performance cars on that same stretch of road, but the Model Y is naturally (and by design) a higher riding SUV so it's obviously not going to feel the same as what he is used to. Also, he noted that the wind noise was loud at that speed and at the same time he noted a change in pressure - these factors combined could've contributed to him to leading to that remark - and he even follows it up by pointing out the bad conditions. And he didn't necessarily say that the handling was bad at that speed and if you re-watch the video, he had little to no steering input. In most of his other vids, when the conditions are right, he would sometimes weave between lanes at high speeds to test how well planted the car is at those high speeds. He didn't do that here. He also rounded it out by saying that it rode perfectly fine at normal motorway speeds.

Going those speeds in those conditions in many (or any!) cars is fundamentally not "safe".

But anyway, I do hope Tesla addresses the overall ride quality. They should have enough cash now to start retooling their production lines to add better suspension and with their margins what they are, I'm sure they can still make a massive profit selling the cars at the same price.

I get the feeling that people expect boat-like SUV suspension, with a wallow-y, soggy feel. Just like every other SUV.
If the MY rides like a M3, it sounds fine to me. I imagine the only decent riding SUV is something like a Porsche Macan or better.

I get the feeling that people expect boat-like SUV suspension, with a wallow-y, soggy feel. Just like every other SUV.
If the MY rides like a M3, it sounds fine to me. I imagine the only decent riding SUV is something like a Porsche Macan or better.
If you put decent suspenion on any SUV it will ride and handle well and Porsche will tend to put better suspension on at the factory than Tesla do, so yes a Macan is pretty good, but as long as you're prepared to spend a bit of money on a Tesla you can improve its ride and handling substancially.

The last BMW I owned was the same. It would be fine cruising the autobahns but on UK roads it was crashy and harsh just like a stock Model 3/Y. I spent some money fitting a Bird's Bilstein coilover kit and proper tyres in place of the runflats and that transformed it.

The stock MY is better than the stock M3 in some ways but worse in others. They can both do with some help.

For context at 135mph he says "It doesn't feel too safe", followed by "I always have to be cautious here as the road is not entirely dry" then "performance is like woah, great performance".

@22:30 for anyone interested
Indeed watch the video because his quote "it doesn't feel too safe" is followed by "and I always have to be cautious here as the road is not too dry". The inherent feeling of safety isn't a primary function of the wet road, in other words.

But I'm prepared to accept this is open to interpretation and to an extent it's moot, since we don't have derestricted sections of motorway in the UK.

Love autogefuhl, but as he states himself in another model y video, even the unlimited autobahn sections longevity is in doubt.

Who here regularly drives 120mph, or even 90mph in the U.K.? We have so many cameras, dynamic speed zones, coppers with mobile cameras everywhere I can’t honestly say his comments about autobahn speeds are concerning.

Having driven some bone rattling bimmers to now driving a barge, I am really interested to test drive a Y this weekend and see how it stacks up though… I’m expecting somewhere in the middle.

Many interesting comments! I'm not concerned about stability at high speed because I dont drive at high speed. General comfort around town and pottering about is a concern although happy to make some concessions because... hey, its a Tesla I can afford.

Reactions: Roarr
Mountain Pass Performance sell a Comfort suspension kit and an Adjustable Comfort Suspension kit for the Model Y. MPP is a Canadian company but the kit is based on KW3 (German) suspension and is quite reasonably priced. I have the adjustable kit on my M3P and it has improved the ride and suspension control (less lean and jolting) and only increased the insurance by 5 to 10%.

Having done back to back test drives of a Model Y LR and a Model 3 LR with my wife we both felt that there was hardly any difference between the two.
I did think my M3 P- (LR suspension) was over sprung and under damped. Any lumps or undulations on a fast sweeping bend could easily upset the balance a lot. It also tended to gently bounce down the motorway which was causing more travel sickness in my (admittedly quite sensitive) family. (you can actually see this if you follow another M3 on the motorway).

I also ended up putting MPP comfort coil overs and eibach sway bars on it, and I think its much better for it. Lowered just a little with a fair bit of pre-compression on the springs seems to work better that it being lower with less precompression. Better, quieter, more comfertable and more secure feeling than stock.

As Amp says - Canadian company, but the kits can ship from the EU so its not totally ridiculous getting them. Any competent garage can do the swap. Much much happier car for it I would say.

But that's just coming from a fussy driver with a family who are sensitive to motion sickness. YMMV and the stock suspension is pretty acceptable really. Just not as good as the best of the German brands mid comfort/sport models.