Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Test Drive and … Upcoming Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got to see a Model Y and to test drive one in Paramus today. I had ordered one back in January.

It's a gorgeous car. I swear it performs even better than the Model 3. The interior is beautiful. I don't see how anyone can say it's low end. Haven't they ever heard that minimalism is more expensive than clutter? The interior is gorgeously minimal and the storage is much better than on my Model S. I was afraid the storage space in the back would be much smaller than my 2006 BMW 530xi wagon, but it seems like it will be similar, if not bigger (when the frunk and compartment under the floor panel are included). It's a lovely, lovely car.

The one I tried had no paint or panel trouble (blue is gorgeous… ours will be red), the seats went down fine (at first the right didn't, but it was clear the seat belt was stuck).

I'm impressed. It's going to make a lot of money for Tesla.

did it feel fast and powerful or did it leaving you wishing it was the performance version?

I would like the extra performance but I don’t need/want any of the other stuff and feel like $8,000 is a lot for just a quicker 0-60 time.

I test drove one this week at Santana Row. LR version w/20" wheels. Compared to my LR Model 3, it felt just as fast, if not faster. I attribute this to the more upright, higher seating position.

I too was worried about it feeling slow, but not anymore. I was considering the Performance version and probably would have gotten it if I could customize the package to come with 20" wheels and the car not being lowered. Now, I'm glad I resisted upgrading.

Same here - I was slightly worried about not getting the Performance, but am happy with the non-P. Haven't even tried to floor it from a stop as that's pretty bad for new tires and could even throw off the balancing. Coming from a 2018 BMW X3 M40i.

Great post - thank you for your impressions of your test drive. I have been considering an MY and comparing to an MX. I currently have an MS and have heard a lot of stories about expectations and quality related to the Y. This post makes me more open to the Y and actually excited about finding out more and maybe test driving one myself when available.

I test drove one this week at Santana Row. LR version w/20" wheels. Compared to my LR Model 3, it felt just as fast, if not faster. I attribute this to the more upright, higher seating position.

Interesting to hear that the Santana Row showroom has a Model Y available for test drives. Wonder if the Sunnyvale, CA location also has one for test drives now?

I ordered the Model Y March 4th 2020 and actually sat in it today. To me/for me it's better than the Model S and the Model 3 as far as entry and exit. It's just perfect. It will be prepped Tuesday and Wednesday if necessary and I should be driving and causing all kinds of havoc in Rhode Island by the end of the week. I'm kind of a "car" guy and when working I would trade every 2 or 3 years. Not always because of high mileage but spending so much time in them it made sense to me to treat myself a little bit. I retired in 2002 and bought my last car in 2010 so really I'm a "used to be" car guy.

Anyway this is an exciting time in the automobile business, not unlike when the Ford Model T was introduced and everybody with a horse and wagon began to complain about the feeding and the horseshit.

I believe we are at the beginning of great things to come.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Interesting to hear that the Santana Row showroom has a Model Y available for test drives. Wonder if the Sunnyvale, CA location also has one for test drives now?
Sunnyvale is a service center, no? Have they ever done test drives?

Anyway, last week I went to the website and requested a test drive. I got a call from the Santana Row showroom literally 5 minutes later and scheduled a test drive for the next day. I got the impression those guys are sitting around with nothing to do. They gave me the car to drive by myself for 20 minutes, but he told me he had no more test drives after me and to take as long as I wanted.

I ordered the Model Y March 4th 2020 and actually sat in it today. To me/for me it's better than the Model S and the Model 3 as far as entry and exit. It's just perfect. It will be prepped Tuesday and Wednesday if necessary and I should be driving and causing all kinds of havoc in Rhode Island by the end of the week. I'm kind of a "car" guy and when working I would trade every 2 or 3 years. Not always because of high mileage but spending so much time in them it made sense to me to treat myself a little bit. I retired in 2002 and bought my last car in 2010 so really I'm a "used to be" car guy.

Anyway this is an exciting time in the automobile business, not unlike when the Ford Model T was introduced and everybody with a horse and wagon began to complain about the feeding and the horseshit.

I believe we are at the beginning of great things to come.
Where did you test drive? In RI? I called them in MA and currently they have no model Ys in any location for test drive.

I test drove a MY Friday at the Denver (Littleton) SC. They are taking reservations to test drive. Looks like one hour slots.
Prior to a few days ago, I had never even seen the MY in person. I am glad I got the chance to test drive one. I have a really hard time spending that much money for a car I have never driven or seen in person.

The good: Anyhow, it was a Performance version and the height, seat positions were all really nice. The doors are at a very comfortable arm rest level for me (6'2") and plenty of room. The performance acceleration was awesome!

The bad: this model had a few production QC issues. Hatchback didnt close, panel alignment issues, scratches, etc. Probably makes for a good test drive vehicle, but would need some TLC if it were a customer's vehicle for certain.

While we were there, they delivered three MY's. One White Performance AWD, One White NON-Performance AWD, and One Blue Non-Performance AWD.

Sunnyvale is a service center, no? Have they ever done test drives?

Anyway, last week I went to the website and requested a test drive. I got a call from the Santana Row showroom literally 5 minutes later and scheduled a test drive for the next day. I got the impression those guys are sitting around with nothing to do. They gave me the car to drive by myself for 20 minutes, but he told me he had no more test drives after me and to take as long as I wanted.

No the Sunnyvale location has a showroom and you can do test drives there as far as I know. I'll have to give them a call....

I test-drove LR AWD MY yesterday (same as what I have on order). I didn't really get a feeling for good acceleration, initially. One of the problems I had with MY is amount of pressure that needs to be put on the pedal in order for it to accelerate. With my current hybrid SUV, a barely-there tap on accelerator will have the car taking off and going smoothly, so with 12 years of muscle memory behind me I tried to apply similar pressure to MY, and it barely moved. Its toward the end of the test drive when I started pushing the pedal harder, I finally started to get a sense of its true potential. In general I expect a different pedal response in every model of car I ever drove, and renting cars quiet often when traveling I got used to adjusting to different amount of pressure that needs to be put on accelerator and brake pedals, so I will probably adjust here, if I decide to go ahead with the reservation. I wonder if performance has different feel though.

I test-drove LR AWD MY yesterday (same as what I have on order). I didn't really get a feeling for good acceleration, initially. One of the problems I had with MY is amount of pressure that needs to be put on the pedal in order for it to accelerate. With my current hybrid SUV, a barely-there tap on accelerator will have the car taking off and going smoothly, so with 12 years of muscle memory behind me I tried to apply similar pressure to MY, and it barely moved. Its toward the end of the test drive when I started pushing the pedal harder, I finally started to get a sense of its true potential. In general I expect a different pedal response in every model of car I ever drove, and renting cars quiet often when traveling I got used to adjusting to different amount of pressure that needs to be put on accelerator and brake pedals, so I will probably adjust here, if I decide to go ahead with the reservation. I wonder if performance has different feel though.

In the setting, there's an option to set how aggressive the car accelerates.

I just test drove a MY AWD with 20s. MSM, black interior. I too feel much better now having seen the car and driven it. Can't wait for mine to be delivered. Unless you have to have the blinding, pin you to the seats acceleration, the Dual Motor is just fine. For me performance is taking a huge step up from my Acura RDX. The Y handles better, accelerates way better and the ride is better. Sound system is better too. I drove it from the gallery to my home so I could drive on roads I drive all the time. The Y did so much better! Absolutely no regrets placing my order but I do regret doing the test drive in that it makes me that much more impatient for the delivery of my car. I would highly recommend taking one out on a test drive if you haven't yet.

In the setting, there's an option to set how aggressive the car accelerates.
In that car there were only two options, Chill and Standard. It was set to Standard. I think i will get used to it, its just I expected a slight touch on pedal to get it going, like in my current car. Just a matter of retraining the muscles.

Concerning handling, I thought it was really stable. For a car with only 2" less ground clearance than my SUV, cornering felt almost like driving a sports car, the way it hugged the road.

It is 4" wider than my SUV - which I supposes is one reason its so stable, besides low center of gravity - which worries me a little. I have a pretty narrow parking spot at home, and I often have trouble squeezing into it as it is, if neighboring car is parked close to my line. I have at times clipped the concrete post next to my spot trying to turn in.

Last edited: