Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tire and Wheel Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned several AWD Subaru's and several Chevy and Ford 4WD vehicles and have been warned by the service departments of each about mismatched tires causing drivetrain damage.

You can draw your own conclusions.

From the Subaru website:

Q: Do I need to replace all four tires at once on my Subaru?

A:
Most Subaru vehicles other than the BRZ have Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive as a standard feature, and you want to be sure that the tires have close to uniform tread depth at all four corners. In extreme cases where one tire is a different diameter than the others (e.g., when a temporary spare is mounted), the All-Wheel Drive warning light may flash.

Subaru models contain the following warning in the Owner’s Manual: “All four wheels should be fitted with tires of the same size, type and brand. Furthermore, the amount of wear should be the same for all four tires.”
Audi quattro are the same way unfortunately...

Tesla service in Cherry Hill, NJ did the service today. Quick and painless. No problem with ware difference on the tires. The SC was very busy but everything went smooth. Very helpful and courteous service. The car drives perfect.

I have had Subaru Outbacks the previous 4 vehicles I have had and i agree that I would not have gotten away without replacing two tires.

Last edited:
Tesla service in Cherry Hill, NJ did the service today. Quick and painless. No problem with ware difference on the tires. The SC was very busy but everything went smooth. Very helpful and courteous service. The car drives perfect.

I have had Subaru Outbacks the previous 4 vehicles I have had and i agree that I would not have gotten away without replacing two tires.
So what exactly did they do and what did it cost you?

Replaced Tire, Wheel, and Hubcap. Verified tread depth and about twenty other things including coolant. Inspected everything for damage. The bill with parts, labor and taxes was $1,225.

Which was high enough to cause she who should not be named to swear to never provoke a curb to attack her again.

Replaced Tire, Wheel, and Hubcap. Verified tread depth and about twenty other things including coolant. Inspected everything for damage. The bill with parts, labor and taxes was $1,225.

Which was high enough to cause she who should not be named to swear to never provoke a curb to attack her again.
Wow! Hope they signed off on your colonoscopy too… 😬

Last edited:
And we are sure the rim could be repaired an still be safe? How long would it take? don't forget taxes
Lots of mobile wheel repair places around in AZ, a quick search shows them in NJ too. They'll come right to your house/office etc... and do great work in my experience. Take the tire off, fix the rim like new and reinstall. Used them a few times, usually runs $100-$200. Wait times would vary I guess but shouldn't take long.

Send me the search and I'll try it next time. I'm sure she will hit another curb. I myself did not think the rim would survive having the a tire unmounted and remounted. I spent about 90 minutes total getting the repair. We only have one car so it can not be unavailable for any length without renting a replacement. Seriously send the search so I know what I'm looking for.

Send me the search and I'll try it next time. I'm sure she will hit another curb. I myself did not think the rim would survive having the a tire unmounted and remounted. I spent about 90 minutes total getting the repair. We only have one car so it can not be unavailable for any length without renting a replacement. Seriously send the search so I know what I'm looking for.
Just search for mobile wheel repair, you’ll get a list. Like I said, the ones I’ve had done look like new. Dealerships have them on call too as there’s plenty of business in fixing wheels!

Last edited: