Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tire and Wheel Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2022 Model Y Long Range that was attacked by a curb. It looks as if the wheel and tire will need to be replaced. Also the Hub Cap looks pretty ugly. The tire has a chunk out of the sidewall. There is a large section of the rim missing. The car drives fine at all speeds. Is not loosing air so it does not seem to be a problem for local driving. I would like to replace verything before I go on a road trip in April. The tires have 7,000 miles on them. 19’’ Gemini Wheels

My question is should I have Telsa Service do the work or have the work done by a local tire center.

Attachments

• IMG_9249.jpeg
    IMG_9249.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:
If you value your time it may be worth the convenience of having Tesla's Mobile Service bring you a replacement wheel, tire and wheel cover. Estimated cost $450. If interested you can open a Service Request in the Tesla app; attach a photo of the damaged wheel to the service ticket. Tesla will provide a quote for replacing the wheel, tire and cover.

The wheel looks like it can be repaired as it not cracked. Repair would involve straightening the rim, sanding and painting or clear coating). This would cost around $150.

A Gemini wheel Cover costs $35 from the Tesla online store.

The tire looks like it should be replaced although you could keep the damaged wheel and tire as a spare if you decide to have Tesla provide a replacement for the wheel and tire.

We have a 2022 Model Y Long Range that was attacked by a curb. It looks as if the wheel and tire will need to be replaced. Also the Hub Cap looks pretty ugly. The tire has a chunk out of the sidewall. There is a large section of the rim missing. The car drives fine at all speeds. Is not loosing air so it does not seem to be a problem for local driving. I would like to replace verything before I go on a road trip in April. The tires have 7,000 miles on them. 19’’ Gemini Wheels

My question is should I have Telsa Service do the work or have the work done by a local tire center.
I can't tell from the pic but you might want to see if a wheel repair guy can fix it first. If so you could then go to Discount Tire. Or just going to Tesla would be easiest, though probably not the least expensive. Edit: as jcanoe mentioned either way you'll probably want a new wheel cover.

wheel might be repairable but that tire needs replaced for sure. If you can get the wheel, tire, and aero cover for $450 that would be cheaper.

Tire is $300 and wheel repair usually $150-$200 and then the aero cover is probably another $50

Then you will need tire mounted and balanced...at least another $50.

You can check with a wheel repair shop to see if it can repair the wheel (most likely can), then get a tire from tire rack/discount tire, and have them shipped to the repair shop, the repair shop should be able to mount it for you, just make sure they jack the Tesla properly.

Being an AWD vehicle, can you just replace one tire. I know some cars like suburu or jeep Cherokee, it will destroy your transmission. Front or rear wheel drive cars not so much bc of they don’t have transfer case. Wheel and tire should be replaced as well alignment. I don’t know about teslas but many other cars have components that could have been damaged

Being an AWD vehicle, can you just replace one tire. I know some cars like suburu or jeep Cherokee, it will destroy your transmission. Front or rear wheel drive cars not so much bc of they don’t have transfer case. Wheel and tire should be replaced as well alignment. I don’t know about teslas but many other cars have components that could have been damaged
I have the same question. Every AWD and 4WD vehicle I have owned has always cautioned that all tires had to be the same circumference or damage to the drive train would occur.

You can use any tire combo on any car. AWD doesn't make it special. No tires can damage "components on the car".

You can use any tire combo on any car. AWD doesn't make it special. No tires can damage "components on the car".
Not really. Someone with TESLA drivetrain knowledge will undoubtedly post with Tesla specific requirements.

The reason why it matters in an ICE engine with AWD is because the entire drivetrain is connected. Open differentials allow them to spin at different rates, but it’s still in relation to the input and by the SAME amount.

If the input is spinning at 100 rpm, one output can spin at 90, but the other then has to spin at 110. A mathematical way to look is input x 2 = output1 + output2, or input = average (output1 + output2).

If you forcibly spin them more or less than that relationship, it creates stress and can cause damage over time from extra wear and tear. If there’s no difference between outputs, then the gears inside the differential don’t move, minimizing wear on them.

In Tesla, AWD has two separate motors, one for the front and one for the rear. So, while they are connected left to right, they’re not connected between front and rear.

This is treated the same as any 2WD ICE. Tires should be paired as similarly as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pianewman
The reason why it matters in an ICE engine with AWD is because the entire drivetrain is connected. Open differentials allow them to spin at different rates, but it’s still in relation to the input and by the SAME amount.

If the input is spinning at 100 rpm, one output can spin at 90, but the other then has to spin at 110. A mathematical way to look is input x 2 = output1 + output2, or input = average (output1 + output2).

If you forcibly spin them more or less than that relationship, it creates stress and can cause damage over time from extra wear and tear. If there’s no difference between outputs, then the gears inside the differential don’t move, minimizing wear on them.

In Tesla, AWD has two separate motors, one for the front and one for the rear. So, while they are connected left to right, they’re not connected between front and rear.

This is treated the same as any 2WD ICE. Tires should be paired as similarly as possible.
If the outer diameter and rotational difference, front to rear, is more than 2/32nd inch the Tesla Model Y will detect this and display a message that it is time to rotate the tires. This can be annoying but will not cause any issue.

If you match a new tire on one side with an existing tire on the opposite side of the same drive unit this can cause issues in the Tesla Model Y as the traction control may be triggered. The Traction Control system will interpret the faster rotation of the worn tire as wheel slip.This would cause the Tesla Model Y to apply the friction brake to the older, smaller (due to normal tread wear) diameter wheel. The Tesla Model Y can also apply the friction brake if you use an incorrect (too small diameter) spare tire, causing unnecessary brake wear and heat build up on the brake components.

• Disagree
Reactions: nate704 and TomB985
Not correct. Different tire circumferences on an ICE vehicle (or even tractors) causes the tires to spin at different RPM's which induces binding in the transmission. Serious and expensive damage can and will occur. I'm just not sure if the EV's transaxles are connected in a manner that allows different tire rpm's or not.

Meh, it's fine. The plastic hubcap is slightly scratched, the outer cosmetic lip of the wheel rim is slightly bent, and the cosmetic outer layer of the tire sidewall is slightly cut. Underneath that outer cosmetic rubber layer is a strong mesh of steel and kevlar that are critical but surely not affected by this superficial scuff.

Just get a used wheel from a local or online junkyard, a hubcap, and then have a local tire shop swap over your tire and inspect it. There are an infinite number of used Gemini wheels available since they are the base wheel that people "upgrade" away from, never toward.

As for rolling diameter differences with a new tire, folks seem to be caught up in 4WD stuff with locking transfer cases and limited slip differentials and stuff. For normal cars (fossil or Tesla) the only issue is adaptation needed by the stability control. The slight RPM difference does cause the differential gears to rotate slowly but that happens every time you change lanes, it's nothing.

Reactions: nate704 and TomB985
Not correct. Different tire circumferences on an ICE vehicle (or even tractors) causes the tires to spin at different RPM's which induces binding in the transmission. Serious and expensive damage can and will occur. I'm just not sure if the EV's transaxles are connected in a manner that allows different tire rpm's or not.
Actually not true.
2-3 mm treads depth difference (usually less) is not going to do any damage or you will notice anything.

Reactions: TomB985
So we only have one car so running around trying to find everything that's needed is going to be very problimatic. I opened a ticket with Tesla Service and have an appointment on Friday. With the 15 minute ride to the service center and wait for them to mount the new tire, wheel and inspect everything I should be home in about 90 minutes.

The only thing that surprised me was the price of the wheel $650. Again I can't be without a car while they try to fix the tire. As far as junkyards the last on in our area was destroyed in fire a few months back. So we save a lot of money by only having one car so it is what it is.

The good news is the driver is now extremely cautious with curbs. Also my threat to make her take uber to her pickle ball events.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Reactions: DanDi58
So we only have one car so running around trying to find everything that's needed is going to be very problimatic. I opened a ticket with Tesla Service and have an appointment on Friday. With the 15 minute ride to the service center and wait for them to mount the new tire, wheel and inspect everything I should be home in about 90 minutes.

The only thing that surprised me was the price of the wheel $650. Again I can't be without a car while they try to fix the tire. As far as junkyards the last on in our area was destroyed in fire a few months back. So we save a lot of money by only having one car so it is what it is.

The good news is the driver is now extremely cautious with curbs. Also my threat to make her take uber to her pickle ball events.

Thanks for everybody's input.
I've owned several AWD Subaru's and several Chevy and Ford 4WD vehicles and have been warned by the service departments of each about mismatched tires causing drivetrain damage.

You can draw your own conclusions.

From the Subaru website:

Q: Do I need to replace all four tires at once on my Subaru?

A:
Most Subaru vehicles other than the BRZ have Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive as a standard feature, and you want to be sure that the tires have close to uniform tread depth at all four corners. In extreme cases where one tire is a different diameter than the others (e.g., when a temporary spare is mounted), the All-Wheel Drive warning light may flash.

Subaru models contain the following warning in the Owner’s Manual: “All four wheels should be fitted with tires of the same size, type and brand. Furthermore, the amount of wear should be the same for all four tires.”