Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No but yeah, my pick up is in Duxford but yes its AJ71...
Probably they just registered it at that office in Bristol, who knows?

Side note for anyone putting a different plate on...

You need the reference number on the actual V5 logbook to allocate your private plate to the vehicle as well, so I guess it'll be a few days before I can get that on the car. Also more importantly, I see that the plate allocation to the car can now be done online, which should make things faster.

Good luck people, I'm getting quite excited now.
Plate allocation online is instant and straight forward once all the detail are provided. DVLA could have digitised V5C document as well and thats the only step which delays things.

You mean using the downloadable form whereby you don’t have to wait for the V5 logbook in the post?

This….?

I meant when Tesla registers the car, if there is a provision for them to download and give us a digital copy, it fast tracks everything.

Once we receive V5C by post for Tesla assigned 71 plate, rest is two step process (request online for number assignment) and download eV948 form and use that along with other existing documents to get a personalised plate made. You don't need to wait for a new V5C to get new plates made.

Last edited:
Reactions: acoustonaut
No but yeah, my pick up is in Duxford but yes its AJ71...
Probably they just registered it at that office in Bristol, who knows?

Side note for anyone putting a different plate on...

You need the reference number on the actual V5 logbook to allocate your private plate to the vehicle as well, so I guess it'll be a few days before I can get that on the car. Also more importantly, I see that the plate allocation to the car can now be done online, which should make things faster.

Good luck people, I'm getting quite excited now.
Is there a specific reason why you got that location and the rest has 3 days later in Southampton? If you ask Tesla they’ll tell you that 19th is the earliest day.
Just wondering

I t
I meant when Tesla registers the car, if there is a provision for them to download and give us a digital copy, it fast tracks everything.

Once we receive V5C by post for Tesla assigned 71 plate, rest is two step process (request online for number assignment) and download eV948 form and use that along with other existing documents to get a personalised plate made. You don't need to wait for a new V5C to get new plates made.
Thanks for that. Appreciate it.

This is all new to me but I think I understand now. So the main delay is having to wait for the very first original V5 form to arrive in the post AFTER Tesla register the car on delivery day? No bypassing that?

I thought after reading the link I posted above that you didn’t need to wait for the original first V5 in the post either but seems like that is for subsequent plate allocation and not the very first time onto a brand new car. That nuance wasn’t immediately obvious to me from the DVLA link I read.

Anyway thanks again for explaining 👍🏻

Reactions: ukmy
Is there a specific reason why you got that location and the rest has 3 days later in Southampton? If you ask Tesla they’ll tell you that 19th is the earliest day.
Just wondering
No idea.

Maybe they prioritised;
No trade in and no finance on the car?
Order date?

Maybe there are 100 black Model Y’s already at Duxford?

I ordered a black MY, white interior, 20”.
Ordered within first week of Tesla opening order book and it’s closer to my location (just).
Other than that no specific reason why I or the ‘supposed’ other 100 people will be picking our cars up from Duxford on the 16th.

This is all new to me but I think I understand now. So the main delay is having to wait for the very first original V5 form to arrive in the post AFTER Tesla register the car on delivery day? No bypassing that?
Yes its the very first V5C you need to wait for. As far as I know, we can't bypass this. I recently changed my address and there was no provision to download a pdf of new V5C so I'm guessing it's the same when Tesla registers the car.

I thought after reading the link I posted above that you didn’t need to wait for the original first V5 in the post either but seems like that is for subsequent plate allocation and not the very first time onto a brand new car. That nuance wasn’t immediately obvious to me from the DVLA link I read.

Anyway thanks again for explaining 👍🏻
Yes. It's not clear. have a look at a comment at bottom of the page (link you sent). Looks like this is a known problem. Tesla are to be blamed here for not behaving like the other dealers when it comes to such a simple thing. May be this is due to their return policy which creates additional work if we we return cars and we want our number plate back.

Last edited:

I ordered plates from Sureplates.co.uk and the order confirmation email gave a link to upload entitlement certificate but then a few hours later I got an email to say plates had been dispatched and I have them in front of me. Seems like some places only pay lip service to the rules.

I'm thinking the same. I just got excited seeing a few folks get theirs last night. Not that it particularly means anything other than just getting another day closed to collection!
I think the February batch have all been accounted for, if you haven't got the SMS by Friday then yours is still on a ship somewhere. I'm planning March first week, and i ordered immediately no trade in or finance, nothing special other than the change in colour.

I ordered plates from Sureplates.co.uk and the order confirmation email gave a link to upload entitlement certificate but then a few hours later I got an email to say plates had been dispatched and I have them in front of me. Seems like some places only pay lip service to the rules.
Thanks for that. 👏 I’m gonna order from them as well.

For the Model Y;

I assume the size you go for “standard Oblong” with the green EV flash ?

I think the February batch have all been accounted for, if you haven't got the SMS by Friday then yours is still on a ship somewhere. I'm planning March first week, and i ordered immediately no trade in or finance, nothing special other than the change in colour.
Oh I’m already set for collection on the 19th at 11:00. Some folks with collections earlier in the week got texts last night with their reg numbers though. That’s more what I was after. Seeing if any of the other early collection folks got their reg numbers today too.

Oh I’m already set for collection on the 19th at 11:00. Some folks with collections earlier in the week got texts last night with their reg numbers though. That’s more what I was after. Seeing if any of the other early collection folks got their reg numbers today too.
I too am set for collection on the 19th at 11 and haven't had the final payment request through. It's been on drafting contracts for weeks now!