Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received an email from my leasing broker saying that delivery is delayed to 31/05/2022 now which is frustrating. Especially considering I've received a message from Tesla a couple of days ago saying

"Your vehicle is on the way. Your arrival date is being calculated and you will be notified via SMS when your vehicle is scheduled for delivery".

I'm pretty disappointed. Any chance the leasing company could have it wrong do you think?
Tesla updated Model Y estimated delivery to May now and Model 3 to August and it was March yesterday. I won't be surprised if these timelines push further as the demand surges once people start to see MYs on roads next week.

is anyone doing the online change of license to personalised before they get delivery, or holding off till delivery to make sure everything is fine?
Wish I can but its not possible as reference number printed on physical V5C document is required to do an online plate change. I did this recently for another vehicle and V5C took a week to arrive from DVLA. There is no shortcut to this I'm afraid.

Unfortunately it seems impossible with Tesla.
Most dealerships will do it for a new car if you give them the V750 early enough (or the other “V7??” retention form)

Tesla won’t do it apparently.
They won’t register the vehicle to you until collection day, and you can’t swap the private plates onto a car that isn’t registered and taxed yet and you need the V5C reference number from DVLA.

So I presume what the other dealerships do is a few weeks before first delivery, send off the initial registration with the change of registration form and the V750 details and it all gets done at once and received back on a new V5C logbook before the new customer collects the car and is legally allowed to drive it (with the new personalised plates on it).

I’ll take my V750 along with me and ask Tesla if they can do it, when they register the car but apparently previous people posted they won’t do it !
And even if they did do it I guess you’re then in a legal limbo land as to whether or not you are driving legally on the correct plates or not. Because you won’t know the swaps been done till you get the new V5C. And legally you can’t drive the car :eek:

So only real way to do it is to wait for a week or so after delivery’till you’ve got the V5C from the DVLA and then you can do it online with the number required on the V5C using the DVLA’s online BETA plate allocation thingy-ma-jig.
Once that’s done you must put the new plates on immediately before you are legally allowed to drive the car on the public roads again !
- So don’t do the online allocation until you’ve physically got the new plates in one hand and double sided tape in the other 👍🏻

Realistically it’s going to be 5 days - 2 weeks maybe before you receive the V5C and can do the online allocation and put your new plates on I reckon.

Reactions: Ducati 996
Is this on tesla.com? I am getting mine via a business lease so although I made the original order, that isn't visible on my tesla.com account now. I'm leasing with Lex. I ordered mine on 26th Jan and finance company approved on 4th Feb.
Ddid you receive this type of test?
Tesla Update - Your vehicle is on the way. Your arrival date is being calculated and you will be notified via SMS when your vehicle is scheduled for delivery. For now, please familiarise yourself with the features of your Model Y

Most dealerships will do it for a new car if you give them the V750 early enough (or the other “V7??” retention form)

They won’t register the vehicle to you until collection day, and you can’t swap the private plates onto a car that isn’t registered and taxed yet and you need the V5C reference number from DVLA.

So I presume what the other dealerships do is a few weeks before first delivery, send off the initial registration with the change of registration form and the V750 details and it all gets done at once and received back on a new V5C logbook before the new customer collects the car and is legally allowed to drive it (with the new personalised plates on it).

I’ll take my V750 along with me and ask Tesla if they can do it, when they register the car but apparently previous people posted they won’t do it !
And even if they did do it I guess you’re then in a legal limbo land as to whether or not you are driving legally on the correct plates or not. Because you won’t know the swaps been done till you get the new V5C. And legally you can’t drive the car :eek:

So only real way to do it is to wait for a week or so after delivery’till you’ve got the V5C from the DVLA and then you can do it online with the number required on the V5C using the DVLA’s online BETA plate allocation thingy-ma-jig.
Once that’s done you must put the new plates on immediately before you are legally allowed to drive the car on the public roads again !
- So don’t do the online allocation until you’ve physically got the new plates in one hand and double sided tape in the other 👍🏻

Realistically it’s going to be 5 days - 2 weeks maybe before you receive the V5C and can do the online allocation and put your new plates on I reckon.
Regarding legal limbo you mentioned, when you change the plate online, you have two weeks for you to drive on old plates legally to get your new one printed. You just need to inform your insurance provider thats all. This two week thing was told by my insurance provider when I informed them about plate change.

Taking V750 is a brilliant idea! 👍