Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - 2023 refresh UK date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current Model 3 lease is ending in December and I will likely move to a Model Y. The small refresh announced for China looks pretty good (no more fake wood!) and I would prefer to get this version rather than the current one. I checked with Tesla on the web chat, but the person had no idea of ETA for the UK. Has anyone heard anything about an ETA?

My current Model 3 lease is ending in December and I will likely move to a Model Y. The small refresh announced for China looks pretty good (no more fake wood!) and I would prefer to get this version rather than the current one. I checked with Tesla on the web chat, but the person had no idea of ETA for the UK. Has anyone heard anything about an ETA?
With you there… my model 3 lease expires in April 2024 and I’ve had to order now. Opted for Model Y but crossing everything that we’ll end up with the China refresh version if only for the extra mileage range, acceleration and gear shift! Have to say, really surprised and disappointed that Tesla hasn’t rolled out the updates across all regions at the same time. Feel like the poor relative despite my brand loyalty!

With you there… my model 3 lease expires in April 2024 and I’ve had to order now. Opted for Model Y but crossing everything that we’ll end up with the China refresh version if only for the extra mileage range, acceleration and gear shift! Have to say, really surprised and disappointed that Tesla hasn’t rolled out the updates across all regions at the same time. Feel like the poor relative despite my brand loyalty!
Or at the very least been a bit more transparent about the roll out!

I would think by the new year we will be getting the refresh as I doubt they will continue with both designs at the same factory - they are probably just using up old parts before they switch, if they haven’t switched already.

I was at my local Tesla service centre Monday and asked about Highland availability, the answer I got was 'likely Q4 2024'. Read this forum when I got home and read Jan/Feb delivery for UK. I am hoping that the MY refresh will be Q1 as well as they will not want to keep building different cars, as suggested by @MrT3 . Fingers crossed....

This is the rumoured Project Juniper, it’s not been announced yet so it’s all just rumours but considering the Model 3 Highland announcement to shipping time I highly doubt you’ll see this early in 2024. If that was happening they’d probably have announced it like they have Highland.

I think second half of 2024 seems reasonable.

This is the rumoured Project Juniper, it’s not been announced yet so it’s all just rumours but considering the Model 3 Highland announcement to shipping time I highly doubt you’ll see this early in 2024. If that was happening they’d probably have announced it like they have Highland.

I think second half of 2024 seems reasonable.
No this isn't the Project Juniper, just the mild refresh that China has received - and it would make sense that all other countries supplied by the China factory will start to receive this update too.

I would have thought it would come out fairly soon, because the UK Y is built in China, and the changed parts aren't significant.

China always seems to get this stuff first, likely due to the fact that the parts are made there. It makes it very easy for that market to get this stuff first. They've had several new Tesla products over there first (or only over there).

TBH I just missed out on the M3 refresh in 2020, I had the 'new frunk' but nothing else, I was a little bitter when I saw 70 plates (Mine was also a 70 plate) with the refresh and I still ran with the chrome and 'piano black' but I got over it, I knew in 3 years I'd be getting a new one and it'd have the change to the interior, plus I wasn't even sure we'd be getting the Y back then (as that was what I wanted originally). Now I'm driving a Y with the new (to me) interior and I love it, I will wait for my new 3 year lease to end to get a new Y with the newer interior.

The M3P I got was a freak version where Tesla decided to get rid of dimming wing mirrors for like 5 minutes. They disappeared at the start of 2020 and came back Q3 2020 or maybe even earlier.

There's seldom a perfect time to buy tech kit, and Teslas seem to be no exception. I would say that would probably apply to Highland too - there may well be a mild refresh of it within a year of launch, after Tesla have had feedback or whatever.. it could add stuff or take stuff away, you never know.

Given that the refresh isn't actually out in China yet - only going through clearance etc. I would be surprised if we saw any this year in the UK.

It will be interesting to see if they also bump up the APR on them as will which is why the current ones are low so they can shift all the current stock.

As for the Juniper - Given what's been out so far and comparing it to the Highland I wouldn't expect anything in the UK until 2025.

The M3P I got was a freak version where Tesla decided to get rid of dimming wing mirrors for like 5 minutes. They disappeared at the start of 2020 and came back Q3 2020 or maybe even earlier.

There's seldom a perfect time to buy tech kit, and Teslas seem to be no exception. I would say that would probably apply to Highland too - there may well be a mild refresh of it within a year of launch, after Tesla have had feedback or whatever.. it could add stuff or take stuff away, you never know.
You mean when they struggle to sell them because of the missing indicator stalk and it strangely reappears? ;)

Announcing a refresh dates means an immediate slowdown in sales as people wait for the new release.
Don't expect any heads-up from Tesla until it's available to order.
As there are no LHD rumors/spy shots in sight yet, and we are typically at least a quarter behind LHD, I would expect not before at least Q2 2024 at the earliest.

Let's not forget that the current Model Y has been around for nearly 4 years now in the US, but less than 18 months on our shores... still a bit young for a facelift

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel