Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With EDD's moving doesn't really make any real concrete evidence of us actually getting our cars

To my mind the narrowing of an EDD will be reacting to some condition. Most likely seems to me to be that it matches a batch of cars that have been built (or "will be built and shipped in time").

Confirmation-bias would be other orders sticking at wide-EDD or being pushed back to next Quarter ("Not built, no plan to build that combination this quarter")

I've read some of all of those scenarios of EDD ...

Speculation on my part though.

Might also be that the EDD-updating-software isn't designed to cope with the logistics-chaos this quarter, post Shanghai lockdown

I placed my order for a Black/Black MY LR 20inch wheels 02.05.2022. I was given an initial EDD of August.
I received a text on 04.05.2022 with an updated delivery window of June 25 - June 30th. Called to confirm and they said this window was likely to happen and unlikely to come any earlier.
Online my delivery has changed to June 23 - June 30, not moving this week, note says "We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment". I have no trade in, seen as cash purchase.
I chose Bluewater as collection point.

I'm a little concerned they are going to invoice me for the full amount - and then push back the order to September! Not sure if that could happen. First Tesla purchase so no idea of payment window to delivery- anyone able to share experience?

I'm hoping for June, but would settle for August.

I placed my order for a Black/Black MY LR 20inch wheels 02.05.2022. I was given an initial EDD of August.
I received a text on 04.05.2022 with an updated delivery window of June 25 - June 30th. Called to confirm and they said this window was likely to happen and unlikely to come any earlier.
Online my delivery has changed to June 23 - June 30, not moving this week, note says "We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment". I have no trade in, seen as cash purchase.

I'm a little concerned they are going to invoice me for the full amount - and then push back the order to September! Not sure if that could happen. First Tesla purchase so no idea of payment window to delivery- anyone able to share experience?

Happy for you but have to admit its quite bizarre scheduling of Tesla to fulfil an order placed in May when people with very similar or identical spec's from Feb and March have had EDD's pushed to August.

I’m in exactly the same position as you in terms of order date, similar spec but mines 26th June - 30th June now changed today, I spoke to Tesla a couple of weeks ago and my understanding from the advisor was as long as you can show you can pay it and are going to as long as it’s a couple of weeks from delivery it’s essentially ok.

I’m in exactly the same position as you in terms of order date, similar spec but mines 26th June - 30th June now changed today, I spoke to Tesla a couple of weeks ago and my understanding from the advisor was as long as you can show you can pay it and are going to as long as it’s a couple of weeks from delivery it’s essentially ok.
Thanks for the info - I had presumed Tesla couldn't ask for full payment if a vehicle hadn't been allocated and delivery date was firmed up!

My EDD has narrowed to June 26 - June 30 from June 23rd
Which could, as per @WannabeOwner's rationale, be very good news.(He is an old hand at reading Tesla runes). I guess that in a sea of uncertainty, the one thing of which I can now be certain is that a car with an EDD moved this afternoon from May/June to Aug/September will not see the light of a Hampshire port this quarter.

Now... where is the phone number of that therapist ......

Which could, as per @WannabeOwner's rationale, be very good news.(He is an old hand at reading Tesla runes). I guess that in a sea of uncertainty, the one thing of which I can now be certain is that a car with an EDD moved this afternoon from May/June to Aug/September will not see the light of a Hampshire port this quarter.

Potentially yes, I was expecting when I initially ordered it to be ready for September, but within a couple of days it shifted to June and has stayed there ever since, just shortening and shortening. Having now got into a position where I am essentially ready (bar selling my current car and sorting that out to be ready) I’m just waiting with fingers crossed

I’m super excited for collection day, sadly I’ll only enjoy the drive back from bluewater to London as the cars going in for a wrap the same day and they expect that job to take a week
Excellent! Since I am now pushed to Aug/Sept, I will have time to hear about your wrap and your satisfaction with same. Could you please reveal the extent of the wrap, the firm and any impact this has had on your insurance?
Thank you.

Potentially yes, I was expecting when I initially ordered it to be ready for September, but within a couple of days it shifted to June and has stayed there ever since, just shortening and shortening. Having now got into a position where I am essentially ready (bar selling my current car and sorting that out to be ready) I’m just waiting with fingers crossed
Its all in the paint I believe; with red being a rare UK order, they have probably decided to hold of "tooling up" for red due to these difficult times.

My expectation would be:

You will be assigned a VIN (usually about when the boat reaches Suez). Only thing that will then prevent you getting a car is some sort of upcock, or the car being damaged in transit / failing PDI. So being asked to, and making, payment is basically not going to then be pushed back. But don't hold me to it!

payment window-tod-delivery is about 7 days if all goes well. I've paid at 15:00 day before collection (repeated errors on invoice) for collection at 09:00 following morning ... (ask about how to make sure they have your payment before you set off for collection! if that happens to you)

... if you are paying cash then your bank may limit how much you can transfer each day, so may take several days to pay it all

its quite bizarre scheduling of Tesla to fulfil an order placed in May when people with very similar or identical spec's from Feb and March have had EDD's pushed to August.

"very similar spec" is not the same. Could be in completely different build batches.

Unusual for prioritisation for identical spec to not favour first-come-first-served. However if someone after you has included FSD and you haven't then that is not "identical spec". I'm not aware that Tesla is allowing that sort of queue jumping to occur in UK, but adding FSD to order has been a means of queue-jumping in USA.

When Model-3 first arrived in UK I got one of the early ones. I had no "day-one reservation" or anything like that. I just placed an order when the order book opened. I'm a long standing customer, so if I assume that had some influence then "anything like that" might cause "allocation" and thus queue jumping.

Cars are not made-to-order, they are made in batches and then allocated to orders. So all thoughts of "I don't understand why X is in front of me" have no bearing, although generally speaking "100% Identical spec" will be in reservation number order. If you change your order from White to Red then you will lose your place in the queue (but you may get an earlier slot, if there are unallocated red cars that can be matched with your order).

one thing of which I can now be certain is that a car with an EDD moved this afternoon from May/June to Aug/September will not see the light of a Hampshire port this quarter.

Nope! A deferred collection will free up a car for re-allocation, so there's an extra curricular activity you could indulge in :)

I have no idea how that is prioritised, but fairly sure that is a manual process "Phone up and see if Customer is in a position to collect". If that's the case clearly they won't want to phone very many people to get a "yes", so maybe "Cash" beats "Finance" and "trade in/Not" carries weight too. Or maybe they just stick it in Inventory and then whoever is fastest-finger-first gets it.

recky

Reactions: PA_UK
Great news for you! Did you order white interiors and what's your collection location? I have White on White with 20" and EDD still shows 18 - 30th June.
I'm white/white with 20 and have changed today to Jun 25-30 as well. NEC collection.

In the last week or so I've narrowed as follows

Jun 04-30
Jun 20-30
Jun 23-30
Jun 25-30

In normal circumstances you would expect the narrowing of dates to be due to an increased level of certainty, but in these times who knows. I'll probably wake up tomorrow and find it says August.

Reactions: WannabeOwner

Its more of a Company/factory/city/port/country of uncertainty. the sea seams to be the most predictable part of the entire process!

Reactions: Wattsisname
My expectation would be:

You will be assigned a VIN (usually about when the boat reaches Suez). Only thing that will then prevent you getting a car is some sort of upcock, or the car being damaged in transit / failing PDI. So being asked to, and making, payment is basically not going to then be pushed back. But don't hold me to it!

payment window-tod-delivery is about 7 days if all goes well. I've paid at 15:00 day before collection (repeated errors on invoice) for collection at 09:00 following morning ... (ask about how to make sure they have your payment before you set off for collection! if that happens to you)

... if you are paying cash then your bank may limit how much you can transfer each day, so may take several days to pay it all

"very similar spec" is not the same. Could be in completely different build batches.

Unusual for prioritisation for identical spec to not favour first-come-first-served. However if someone after you has included FSD and you haven't then that is not "identical spec". I'm not aware that Tesla is allowing that sort of queue jumping to occur in UK, but adding FSD to order has been a means of queue-jumping in USA.

When Model-3 first arrived in UK I got one of the early ones. I had no "day-one reservation" or anything like that. I just placed an order when the order book opened. I'm a long standing customer, so if I assume that had some influence then "anything like that" might cause "allocation" and thus queue jumping.

Cars are not made-to-order, they are made in batches and then allocated to orders. So all thoughts of "I don't understand why X is in front of me" have no bearing, although generally speaking "100% Identical spec" will be in reservation number order. If you change your order from White to Red then you will lose your place in the queue (but you may get an earlier slot, if there are unallocated red cars that can be matched with your order).

Nope! A deferred collection will free up a car for re-allocation, so there's an extra curricular activity you could indulge in :)

I have no idea how that is prioritised, but fairly sure that is a manual process "Phone up and see if Customer is in a position to collect". If that's the case clearly they won't want to phone very many people to get a "yes", so maybe "Cash" beats "Finance" and "trade in/Not" carries weight too. Or maybe they just stick it in Inventory and then whoever is fastest-finger-first gets it.

recky
Thanks for the detail - really appreciate it.

My complete spec - in case it helps other work out what's going on - cut and paste from the order;
  • Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
  • Solid Black Paint
  • 20’’ Induction Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Autopilot
  • Enhanced Autopilot
Fingers crossed the VIN comes through - is there a forum channel to see potential ships and route?