Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - UK estimated dates and pricing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread merged from "Model Y"

Hi all, I haven't followed Tesla and their announcements over the last few months as I am just waiting for the MY.

Do we have any idea when the MY will be ready for the UK not that it's shipping at full steam in the US?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn’t sure whether the import duty applied to the car differed based on whether it was sourced from Fremont or Berlin.
at the moment no tariff from Berlin, but tariffs (10% I think) on Fremont M3 imports

After 1st January 2020 who knows.....

Berlin - depends on UK/EU getting a trade deal together
Fremont - depends on Congress, Northern Ireland, November Presidential Election + many other things (food standards etc...)

For UK currently the only thing that is certain is uncertainty.

Reactions: ringi and freekie
The rumour mill suggests it’ll be manufactured in Giga Berlin, so no earlier than late 2021

There is a rumor that RHD market will be done by China

Aussie Model 3 and Model Y could be made in China at Gigafactory Shanghai - techAU "- Giga Berlin, so they’re likely to service the UK market, which also is a LHD market." Assumming thats a typo

Tesla intends to export China-made Model 3s to Europe, report says

Tesla plans to ship cars made in China to Asia and Europe by the end of 2020 | Torque News

Might see them as early as end of Q1 (March 21)

I would like MY UK cars to come from Berlin so we get the fancy new paint option.

I will be part exing my 3 for a Y as soon as it’s available. Maybe sell privately.

Tesla will be wanting to get Y’s to the UK market as competition from the IDs will hot up.

The UK market is second after Germany in Europe, alongside France, Italy and Spain (not sure how the EV market is there). They will want to sell here ASAP trust me. Norway have a lot of EVs but obviously a much smaller country. LHD and RHD cars usually roll off the same production line in the traditional car plants, not sure about Tesla.
ALso , Elon said he wants to reduce carbon footprint and produce cars closer to the target market so it makes sense that EU cars will be made in Berlin, AND maybe be even cheaper as there is no import duty

Last edited:
as competition from the IDs will hot up.

Model Y is not the same segment as ID3.

So you are talking ID4

New Volkswagen ID.4 electric SUV revealed: price, specs and release date | carwow

Reasons not to bother:

1. 0-60 is 2 seconds slower
2. cost is the same
3. there is no supercharger network
4. VW software is notably bad
5. Slow/Non-existant OTA updates - see #4
6. VW ID3/4 has service schedules... WTF?
7. Max 100Kw charging... Also see #3
8. Not 4 wheel drive - at least initially

Also this:

"Both launch versions are limited to 27,000 units. Once they have sold, Volkswagen will focus on delivering more variants of the ID.4 throughout 2021. When entry-level 52kWh cars land on sale, expect the price tag to drop towards the £35,000 mark. "

27k, even if its per year is not "copetition". It's a token effort to avoid buying regulatory credits while they fight to stay solvent.

Edit: "VW has slapped a 100mph top-speed limiter on the ID.4. Now, that doesn’t really matter in the UK, but it’ll probably annoy a few Germans who use the Autobahn to get to work. VW will make a faster model with two motors and four-wheel drive, but you’ll have to wait until 2021 for that."

Last edited:
Model Y is not the same segment as ID3.

So you are talking ID4

New Volkswagen ID.4 electric SUV revealed: price, specs and release date | carwow

Reasons not to bother:

1. 0-60 is 2 seconds slower
2. cost is the same
3. there is no supercharger network
4. VW software is notably bad
5. Slow/Non-existant OTA updates - see #4
6. VW ID3/4 has service schedules... WTF?
7. Max 100Kw charging... Also see #3
8. Not 4 wheel drive - at least initially

Also this:

"Both launch versions are limited to 27,000 units. Once they have sold, Volkswagen will focus on delivering more variants of the ID.4 throughout 2021. When entry-level 52kWh cars land on sale, expect the price tag to drop towards the £35,000 mark. "

27k, even if its per year is not "copetition". It's a token effort to avoid buying regulatory credits while they fight to stay solvent.

Edit: "VW has slapped a 100mph top-speed limiter on the ID.4. Now, that doesn’t really matter in the UK, but it’ll probably annoy a few Germans who use the Autobahn to get to work. VW will make a faster model with two motors and four-wheel drive, but you’ll have to wait until 2021 for that."

Yep, the IDs are being hyped up to the sky, they're all over social media and YouTube reviewers, however, I am not impressed, to be honest.

And the speed limit is a joke, and not only happening at VW but also other new releases. Tesla is the only one that is proper,

EDIT: and it looks like Vauxhall Grandland X