Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - UK estimated dates and pricing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or the person in WD who told me back in 2016 , when I put my deposit down on an inventory Model S, that the rumours of a refresh weren’t true.

Within 24 hours the confirmatory news came out and I took my £1k back. It took me 3 years before I was prepared to give them another chance and bought an inventory 3.

I’m glad I did and will be putting a deposit down on a Y as a 2nd car once it’s possible.

Moderator comment - thread formerly known as "Any ideas about Model Y price in the UK?"

I have been pondering the idea of buying a MY when they become available in the UK, but wondered where the UK price might end up.

In an effort to get a feel for how the land lies elsewhere, I compared the list price of a LR MY as a function of the LR M3 price in the same country, just to see if the relative prices showed any consistency. Guess what, they didn't. For interest the range looked like this;

Spain 121% (MY price as % of M3)
Belgium 110%
Germany 117%
France 129%
Italy 119%
US 107%
Canada 108%

So, unhelpfully, I have concluded it will be somewhere between 110% and 130% of a M3, in other words, I still don't have a clue.

Does anyone else have a clue?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Llama. and PrGrPa
Interesting stat!

I think that the European Model Y, which will benefit from the huge castings, plus 4680 batteries, would allow Tesla to use the reduced cost to reduce the price to compete with the ID4 and similar. That's if they feel the need to. Doesn't answer your question, I'm afraid.

Interesting stat!

I think that the European Model Y, which will benefit from the huge castings, plus 4680 batteries, would allow Tesla to use the reduced cost to reduce the price to compete with the ID4 and similar. That's if they feel the need to. Doesn't answer your question, I'm afraid.

That combination of rear and front castings plus structural battery pack are predicted to bring improvements in construction costs and build quality and consistency but I wonder if it will affect insurance costs ... because repairability looks like it's going to be zero even in a moderate shunt. (Totally off topic for this thread ... sorry ... I'll get my coat now ...)

• Informative
Reactions: moj66 and PrGrPa
That combination of rear and front castings plus structural battery pack are predicted to bring improvements in construction costs and build quality and consistency but I wonder if it will affect insurance costs ... because repairability looks like it's going to be zero even in a moderate shunt. (Totally off topic for this thread ... sorry ... I'll get my coat now ...)

I’m glad I’m not the only person who immediately thought that

I have been pondering the idea of buying a MY when they become available in the UK, but wondered where the UK price might end up.

In an effort to get a feel for how the land lies elsewhere, I compared the list price of a LR MY as a function of the LR M3 price in the same country, just to see if the relative prices showed any consistency. Guess what, they didn't. For interest the range looked like this;

Spain 121% (MY price as % of M3)
Belgium 110%
Germany 117%
France 129%
Italy 119%
US 107%
Canada 108%

So, unhelpfully, I have concluded it will be somewhere between 110% and 130% of a M3, in other words, I still don't have a clue.

Does anyone else have a clue?

I think you have already done all you can to estimate the UK cost. The best you can do is take an average of all those variations. It probably won’t be far off.

Musk has already addressed this point many times. The rear bumper supports in the mega casting are designed to be cut off and can be replaced with bolt-on members. Any shunt heavy enough to damage the battery pack would also likely fire off the airbags. At that point most modern cars are written off.

A colleague insisted that his insco repaired his Audi A5 when it was in a relatively low speed side impact. The bill for the airbags alone was in excess of £15K. That was without any labour as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Great research on varying pricing. However we also need the equivalent of PIGG in each of these countries which might indicate if tesla are influenced by subsidies.
It would be a mistake for Musk to push the Y LR higher than £49999: it is going into a very competitive part of the market with what is really now a 2019 car.

Reactions: snowywhite
The comparisons probably don't take into account regional incentives that may be stepped depending on price and Tesla usually price this into the figures you see. As an example a M3 LR is really just under the 50k here but appears to be just under 47k because of the incentive, whereas the MY LR will almost certainly be above the 50k threshold so no incentive. If a similar scenario happened in the US then the after incentives comparison would be, 47 to say 55 for the MY whereas the before incentives would be 50k to 55k. Hope that makes sense?

Another thing that may make a difference is where the UK MY get made. If they don't build RHD cars in Germany, we might not get the newer battery packs promised which may mean ours are cheaper and more in line with the US and Canada 10% price increase rather than the European 15-20% increase which have the newer battery tech priced in.

I really can not see a MY below 50k unless its a SR+ model

The comparisons probably don't take into account regional incentives that may be stepped depending on price and Tesla usually price this into the figures you see. As an example a M3 LR is really just under the 50k here but appears to be just under 47k because of the incentive, whereas the MY LR will almost certainly be above the 50k threshold so no incentive. If a similar scenario happened in the US then the after incentives comparison would be, 47 to say 55 for the MY whereas the before incentives would be 50k to 55k. Hope that makes sense?

Another thing that may make a difference is where the UK MY get made. If they don't build RHD cars in Germany, we might not get the newer battery packs promised which may mean ours are cheaper and more in line with the US and Canada 10% price increase rather than the European 15-20% increase which have the newer battery tech priced in.

I really can not see a MY below 50k unless its a SR+ model

Agree entirely it's all speculation until Elon tells us otherwise, but I was interested to see if the 'headline' price differential showed any consistency. As doesn't, happy to hear any other views/insights.