Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y, unusual noise from dashboard area, recording attached

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A noise like a fan or compressor grinding/squeaking has recently been happening intermittently, recording attached.
It's intermittent, but happening more frequently than not, and only occurs under the following conditions:-
- car has come to a halt without applying the foot brake
- car is in drive
- car is fully stationary
The noise stops immediately if the foot brake is applied, the car is put in park or the accelerator is pressed.
Before I raise a service request anyone had the same or any ideas?

If the sound comes from speakers then it could have been produced by the MCU due to EM interference.

This has affected a number of model S and X (both MCU1 & 2) and is fixed by adding a few ferrite clamps, might not apply to your case but it's worth locating the source of the sound.

Reactions: Gezb
Sounds like it might be a fault with the electric brake not applying correctly when you stop. Mine makes a slight noise as I come to a stop for a split second and I am under the impression this is said brake being applied. Definitely sounds like a service request needed imo and I hope it's something simple and sorted quickly for you.

Sounds like it might be a fault with the electric brake not applying correctly when you stop. Mine makes a slight noise as I come to a stop for a split second and I am under the impression this is said brake being applied. Definitely sounds like a service request needed imo and I hope it's something simple and sorted quickly for you.
Yeah, that sounds more likely thinking of the symptoms of when it occurs and, in thinking about it, it does sound somewhat like a relay chattering.
I'll log a service request and update the post with the results as I'm sure I won't be the only one to get the issue.

Reactions: Sparky750
Yeah, that sounds more likely thinking of the symptoms of when it occurs and, in thinking about it, it does sound somewhat like a relay chattering.
I'll log a service request and update the post with the results as I'm sure I won't be the only one to get the issue.
I am hearing the same sound in our Y. Did you find out the cause and the fix?