Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - whine noise fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All:

I know this topic of rear drive unit whine has been discussed a lot. Anyone have link to a handy YouTube video or pic thread (in this forum or Reddit) on how to add sound deadening material (I have searched and not come up with any in YouTube). One thing the Tesla SC told me is to add some to the trunk area after you pull up the cover boards (especially the one closer to the seat other than for storage) (not just the rear seats).

Thanks for your help.

SR

Hi All:

I know this topic of rear drive unit whine has been discussed a lot. Anyone have link to a handy YouTube video or pic thread (in this forum or Reddit) on how to add sound deadening material (I have searched and not come up with any in YouTube). One thing the Tesla SC told me is to add some to the trunk area after you pull up the cover boards (especially the one closer to the seat other than for storage) (not just the rear seats).

Thanks for your help.

SR
I saw something about tightening a ground strap above one of the rear wheels.

This MYLR of mine has a slight whine too, but I'm guessing it's normal. Sounds like a low level version of a high pitch whine, like you'd hear on a passenger jet as the engine spools up or moving around on the tarmac. Sounds kind of cool actually, as long as it gets no worse.

I saw something about tightening a ground strap above one of the rear wheels.

This MYLR of mine has a slight whine too, but I'm guessing it's normal. Sounds like a low level version of a high pitch whine, like you'd hear on a passenger jet as the engine spools up or moving around on the tarmac. Sounds kind of cool actually, as long as it gets no worse.
A faint sound is normal. I like it. My MYP is same. Volt had it too.

Hi All:

Thanks for your help.

SR
In my opinion, if the "whine" in your car is loud enough that you think you need to add sound insulation, you possibly have a problem with the perimeter seal on the drive motor.
A faint electrical "whine" is normal.