Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wireless phone charger doesn't work with iPhone 13 pro max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The factory charging pad seems very hit and miss with an iPhone pro max. Mine didn’t work with a very thin case. The Jeda pad fixed the issue.
I don’t think the case issue is just about thickness. Even a thin case may be enough to cause an issue. I think the bigger issue is the type of case - some are built specifically for wireless charging such as the magsafe cases from Apple. They have a coil built in to help with wireless charging.

The factory charging pad seems very hit and miss with an iPhone pro max. Mine didn’t work with a very thin case. The Jeda pad fixed the issue.
Tried again since yesterday. I took my iPhone 13 Pro Max out of its Otterbox case since it wasn't working with either side of the charging pad. I was able to get it to work on the passenger's side but not on the driver's side of the charging pad without a case. My wife's 13 Pro and daughter's iPhone 13 worked without any problems to include upside down.

I have an Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max with Apple’s leather case, and my phone essentially will not charge in my 3/22 production Model Y.

If I really move the phone around slightly left and right on the pad, at some point it will start to charge, but after a minute to two it will stop. I think this is caused by the phone moving ever so slightly.

I am convinced that the cameras sticking out, and therefore the case’s ridges around the lenses to protect them, make it so that the phone does not lie flat. This is by (Apple’s) design, but make it unsuitable for a flat charging pad like in the Model Y.

This is really too bad, especially as the iPhone 14 is rumored to have an even larger camera “bump” than the 13…

My old Jeda wireless charging pad that I put into a Model 3 was a much better design as it had no issues with my 13 Pro Max in the Apple leather case. (It was also nice as it let me put the phone in horizontal and still charge!

It was Apple’s choice to go with their MagSafe design and hence ignore the issue with the big camera bump, so I don’t really blame Tesla for this. But at least in the USA, iPhone’s are a huge part of the market and I’d think Tesla would check compatibility (especially with Apple iPhone cases)…

Last edited:
I am convinced that the cameras sticking out, and therefore the case’s ridges around the lenses to protect them, make it so that the phone does not lie flat. This is by (Apple’s) design, but make it unsuitable for a flat charging pad like in the Model Y.
It is Apple's design, but there's plenty of other flat charging pads that work fine with them. I think Tesla just buried theirs a hair too far under the padding.

(Solution) I have been frustrated that the iPhone 13 Pro Max won’t charge on on the Tesla Model Y (and possibly Model 3) built-in MagSafe chargers unless you remove the phone from its case. This also is not a problem in the Tesla Model S or Model X.

I tried four different cases and finally found that the Apple MM1L3ZM/A iPhone 13 Pro Max Leather Case does work in the Model Y. I assume that the silicone versions of these cases would also work for a little less money.

I’ve tried tried the above case on both the driver and passenger side and it works. The alignment is a little finicky so you may have to slide it around a little if it doesn’t start charging right away.

I hope this helps someone.