Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

eivissa

M3P 2022 82kWh - MYLR 2024 79kWh
Jun 11, 2020
Germany
Actually more something for "Refresh 2022"!
V20 has been certified for the EU:
-The Model 3 Performance gets the LG 5L 79kWh pack with the Model Y Performance Drive Unit -> Higher Power Limits!
-The Model 3 with the CATL 6L 62kWH pack has a slightly higher WLTP of 495km now.
...Much more stuff!
v20_Reasons for Change.jpg
v20_Table.jpg

E5LD-P.jpg
E6LR v2.jpg

-The Model 3 Performance gets the LG 5L 79kWh pack with the Model Y Performance Drive Unit -> Higher Power Limits!
-The Model 3 with the CATL 6L 62kWH pack has a slightly higher WLTP of 495km now.
...Much more stuff!
View attachment 741624View attachment 741623
View attachment 741625View attachment 741626
Are these changes for MIC cars? For example, the new AMD chip for Infotainment only applies to MIC cars, at least so far. I imagine these changes will come to the US at some future date. Some of these changes will be great additions.

Moderator: Can this be posted in the "What's Next for the Model 3" thread?

Are these changes for MIC cars?
Yes. Currently all cars for the EU are MIC cars. Though it is very likely (and also mentioned in the approval) that these changes also apply to the Model Y MIG. Basically all European cars out for delivery in February, with a possibility that the performance cars get priority for new tech as we have seen in the past.

Yes. Currently all cars for the EU are MIC cars. Though it is very likely (and also mentioned in the approval) that these changes also apply to the Model Y MIG. Basically all European cars out for delivery in February, with a possibility that the performance cars get priority for new tech as we have seen in the past.
Performance is also coming from China to EU?

Got this over from Reddit, it's from the European Regulatory Authority.
Source: Model 3 / Model Y - Technische Veränderungen und Details
More info: Full list of updates in 2022 Tesla Model 3 and Model Y uncovered - new in-cabin radar, upcoming UI changes, and much more

Makes me wonder if/when these updates will be coming to US M3/MY's, if the UI refresh is for all cars or just those with the updated infotainment system (presumably MCU-Z), and if they'll offer an upgrade to the new AMD Ryzen-powered infotainment systems to older gens.

Sure would suck to miss out on the updated hardware by a few days/months. Tesla is obviously a very unique auto maker but it surprises me they'd do hardware updates within a model year and not at the start of one.

x7trg1a4v9481.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and Ren.OG
I'm already trying to get ahold of my SA to delay my delivery as it's scheduled for the 3/4th week of December 😬. No way I'm missing out on an updated MCU. Shame he won't reply to emails or pick up the phone 😑
There’s no guarantee the updated MCU will land in the first Q of ‘22. Infact, you could be waiting several quarters.

Tesla don’t do model numbers or yearly releases. What’s happened here is they’ve filled papers for upcoming changes with zero indication of when they are likely to land.

Equally, it’s likely a retrofit will be offered.

People with existing orders are likley to get the current MCU until the stock is depleted and the manufacturing line is altered, and they’ll likely only do that once production of the new MCU is at full scale.

There’s no indication when those changes will land. It’s likely they will be drip fed in, like the new batteries on the SR+ and LR.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
There’s no guarantee the updated MCU will land in the first Q of ‘22. Infact, you could be waiting several quarters.

Tesla don’t do model numbers or yearly releases. What’s happened here is they’ve filled papers for upcoming changes with zero indication of when they are likely to land.

Equally, it’s likely a retrofit will be offered.

People with existing orders are likley to get the current MCU until the stock is depleted and the manufacturing line is altered, and they’ll likely only do that once production of the new MCU is at full scale.

There’s no indication when those changes will land. It’s likely they will be drip fed in, like the new batteries on the SR+ and LR.

Yeah I'm aware that there's no guarantee I'd get it, but I would expect that with all the parts shortages going around that they won't have too large of a stock of 2nd gen MCU's and that the MCU-Z would start finding its way into cars soonish. Would also like the double laminated glass for the rear windows, lithium 12v(16v) battery and potentially modular connectivity (for future 5g). The other benefits like the "super horn" are not must-haves.

I'm also not in urgent need of the car, I was mainly holding out for a 2022 vin because it's better on paper for value.

Reactions: bioshox
Yeah I'm aware that there's no guarantee I'd get it, but I would expect that with all the parts shortages going around that they won't have too large of a stock of 2nd gen MCU's and that the MCU-Z would start finding its way into cars soonish. Would also like the double laminated glass for the rear windows, lithium 12v(16v) battery and potentially modular connectivity (for future 5g). The other benefits like the "super horn" are not must-haves.

I'm also not in urgent need of the car, I was mainly holding out for a 2022 vin because it's better on paper for value.
It’s highly likley there will be shortages of this new chip, also, given its use in many major electronic devices like phones and tablets.

It’s highly likley there will be shortages of this new chip, also, given its use in many major electronic devices like phones and tablets.

No doubt. I'm not sure if it's a 2000 series or 3000 series APU - Ryzen 2000's are 12nm, 3000's are 7nm. Perhaps if it's a older fab process there will be less demand since most new devices are going to be pushing for 5nm or 3nm.

Reactions: ord3r and bioshox
Below is the CPU and GPU on the Plaid.

"The main processor is now an AMD Ryzen YE180FC3T4MFG (4 core 45 watt Ryzen Embedded) 512 KB L2 cache per core, 4 MB L3 cache. The GPU is also an AMD Radeon marked 215-130000026, closest guess is a similar to a Radeon Pro W6600."

Source:

Reactions: FredMt
Below is the CPU and GPU on the Plaid.

"The main processor is now an AMD Ryzen YE180FC3T4MFG (4 core 45 watt Ryzen Embedded) 512 KB L2 cache per core, 4 MB L3 cache. The GPU is also an AMD Radeon marked 215-130000026, closest guess is a similar to a Radeon Pro W6600."

Source:

Seems like that's based off a Zen1+ 14nm process, so even more likelihood of it not competing for bleeding edge fab space.

• Informative
Reactions: trisk
Sure would suck to miss out on the updated hardware by a few days/months. Tesla is obviously a very unique auto maker but it surprises me they'd do hardware updates within a model year and not at the start of one.
Tesla has always made hardware changes independently of model years. Model years are only meaningful to the DMV and insurance companies. If you buy a used Tesla, you need to know the build month (or date) to know which hardware you’re getting.

Trying to time your purchase based on potential new hardware features (that might not come) is always risky. You might not like those changes or others that happen at the same time, and the price might go up. If you like the current configurations, don’t wait for something else.

Reactions: android04
...Much more stuff!
Is there info on the module dimension of HV battery? (especially interested in LFP) I remembered seeing it in a previous version.

Thanks OP these are good to be aware of.
I think the MCU change is due to the chip shortage, 'New' doesn't always translate to 'Better'
As bioshox said ... the MCU-Z is used in the Model S/X refresh. When compared against a current Model 3, it blows it away in terms of load times with everything.

The Atom is an outdated chip. Chip technology advances each year and AMD's Ryzen chipsets are leagues better than the Atom.