Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They only make a handful of S/X models and that number was close to 0 in 2021 which left about 300,000 Model 3/Y's being exported.

Many countries in Europe and Asia have seen a sudden shift to Chinese imports in recent months but that doesn't mean all US exports have suddenly stopped. Tesla is fighting for position one country at a time and needs as many cars as possible to enter and maintain each new market. The US market is pretty low priority by comparison since there is no competition here so I'd expect Tesla to maintain a large US export ratio indefinitely, perhaps even increasing the ratio of exports as Austin comes online.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
The US market is pretty low priority by comparison since there is no competition here so I'd expect Tesla to maintain a large US export ratio indefinitely, perhaps even increasing the ratio of exports as Austin comes online.
As far as I am aware Tesla is currently not, and hasn't for a while, exported any vehicles from the US to anywhere other than Canada and Mexico.

Yea can't seem to get any clear answers

My understanding is that Tesla is currently transitioning to the new upgrades, and project that they will fully clear old parts inventory and be building 100% with the new parts sometime in Q2 of this year. In other words, you have a chance of getting AMD Ryzen now, but it seemingly is skewed towards Intel Atom. Alternatively, you can hold off on delivery until some point in Q2 when the transition is complete.

On another note, Tesla should build out the Hertz order using Atom chips 🤡

Hah. Right when I sent that they replied that it does not:

“Hey John, Tesla Cincinnati here. Unfortunately, your vehicle does not have the new computer chip. We are expecting all vehicles to have the new chip and battery by Mid 2022. We will also add your trade-in vehicle to your account. Please log into your Tesla account to complete your trade-in task.”

Hah. Right when I sent that they replied that it does not:

“Hey John, Tesla Cincinnati here. Unfortunately, your vehicle does not have the new computer chip. We are expecting all vehicles to have the new chip and battery by Mid 2022. We will also add your trade-in vehicle to your account. Please log into your Tesla account to complete your trade-in task.”
What was your vin for reference? I have a 354XXX and it looks like i'll miss out on AMD chip as well but will confirm w/ SA tmo

The last 6 digits of the VIN? Mine are 151XXX which is well off compared to yours. Does this mean it was probably a 2021 that was rejected?
No. The first Ryzen chips were spotted in 139XXX cars that were built in December so your number makes sense.

A guy on Reddit claimed their SA got an email saying all Model 3's built on/after 1/11/22 will have the Ryzen chip ... but you all know SA's have been wrong plenty of times before.

No. The first Ryzen chips were spotted in 139XXX cars that were built in December so your number makes sense.

A guy on Reddit claimed their SA got an email saying all Model 3's built on/after 1/11/22 will have the Ryzen chip ... but you all know SA's have been wrong plenty of times before.
No doubt I’m taking this news with sodium chloride, I’m also inclined to think Tesla is aware this is a sought after feature and would be causing themselves a lot of headache in rejected cars if not implemented ASAP.

No doubt I’m taking this news with sodium chloride, I’m also inclined to think Tesla is aware this is a sought after feature and would be causing themselves a lot of headache in rejected cars if not implemented ASAP.
A logical thought (that might not be reality):

Why would Tesla start building cars with the new AMD Ryzen chips if they had not exhausted all of their Intel Atom inventory? My guess is they didn't do that and what we are seeing currently is simply people taking delivery of the final run out of cars built in December with the last of the Intel Atom chips. So those with January 2022 build dates should not have Intel Atom chips...let's see if that is the case.

Reactions: M3PDOC and MR F
I spoke on the phone with a Tesla rep of some sort, and specifically asked if I could refuse delivery of my 2022 M3P if it did not have at least the newest chip and battery. He stated if refusal was only due to that, my order would be cancelled and my deposit would be forfeited.