Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um... Mods have already stated that criticism of others' plans to defer delivery to get the car they want isn't a thing they're tolerating. Maybe consider taking this down or just letting this go?
Yeah, a few others have mentioned this. If Mods wish to remove it that's fine, but as the original poster he was replying to I'm really not offended in the slightest. He wasn't rude at all and makes a solid point that I was already considering. The flip side is that people will make their decisions regardless and it possibly just clutters up the thread with pointless posts like this one. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Dodofosho
Has it even been proven to be a true upgrade yet or is it more of a side step. Meaning they couldn't get the atoms any more or the price went up on them so they found an alternative which makes netflix load a little faster at the cost of losing range in your battery
We don't really have the ability to fully benchmark a Tesla computer directly, but both CPUs are commodity parts and the performance difference is well documented otherwise. They're a completely different class of CPU altogether. In a desktop / laptop, the Atom would have felt slow from the beginning. On the otherhand Ryzen would still perform reasonably well in a Desktop / Laptop today.

What's a little less clear is the GPU. Either way it should be better than the Atom system. But there's some conjecture that the Ryzen in the 3/Y doesn't have a separate discrete GPU like the S/X. I have not seen any real proof of this. To the contrary, the teardown images I've seen show a ribbon cable that leads to a separate board with what appears to be a GPU on it. Physically looks the same as the GPU daughter board in the S/X.

The motivation for Tesla to change it might have been parts shortages. Or maybe they wanted to keep the S/X and 3/Y on the same platform to make future development easier.

What do we think about the new battery for the Performance model? Is it a new unit capable of more output or maybe more output on low soc and cold battery? I'm not loving my 2021 m3p with the Panasonic 82kwh battery in cold weather.
What is your experience of the performance of the 2021 M3P in cold weather / low SoC? I had the impression that the issues were resolved/masked from 2021.4.11 onwards.

From what I have read of the LG M50 79.1kWh battery, it has higher voltage at a lower SoC and less voltage drop (sag) under load. Both should lead to more power being delivered. For the 2022 M3P it is being coupled with the cat.3 DU from the (heavier) MYP, so I am expecting a step in performance from the 2022 to compensate for the slight reduction in range and charging curve.

My M3P order is on hold, hoping to get one with 340 miles range which would indicate BT43 in the vehicle options.

Last edited:
Where are all the videos demonstrating the Ryzens performance over the Intel?? There’s one sketchy video made in China 2.5 months ago, but now we have a spreadsheet with 100s and likely 1000s of Ryzen Model 3/Y in the US and no one has tried to make a viral YouTube video on this yet? Seems very strange to me.
Very good point. Could it be just rumor and clickbait?

Where are all the videos demonstrating the Ryzens performance over the Intel?? There’s one sketchy video made in China 2.5 months ago, but now we have a spreadsheet with 100s and likely 1000s of Ryzen Model 3/Y in the US and no one has tried to make a viral YouTube video on this yet? Seems very strange to me.
Yeah because those users have an intel m3 and a ryzen m3 just handy to do proper controlled testing right?

So just for comparison, here’s a fairly typical Intel atom Geekbench ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X541SA - Geekbench Browser

It’s a little harder to figure out exactly which Ryzen is being used in the Tesla, but it’s probably similar to the v1756b (which is another 45W 4-core Ryzen embedded cpu): here’s a typical Geekbench score for that: HP HP t740 Thin Client - Geekbench Browser

In iPhone terms, if the Atom is an iPhone 6, the Ryzen is an iPhone Xs

So just for comparison, here’s a fairly typical Intel atom Geekbench ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X541SA - Geekbench Browser

It’s a little harder to figure out exactly which Ryzen is being used in the Tesla, but it’s probably similar to the v1756b (which is another 45W 4-core Ryzen embedded cpu): here’s a typical Geekbench score for that: HP HP t740 Thin Client - Geekbench Browser

I think it’s been documented that the model 3 Intel Atom is liquid cooked and overclocked to run at 2ghz 100% of the time. So your comparisons and analogy is underestimating that.

Yeah because those users have an intel m3 and a ryzen m3 just handy to do proper controlled testing right?
Yeah, why is that hard to imagine? 1,069 Tesla videos hit YouTube each day. On Tesla presentation days people are putting up videos before Elon is done speaking.

The first video to go up showing the differences is going to get a ton more clicks than the obscure Chineese video. All these channels want to be the first to report it and all these guys have a huge community of enthusiast followers. Getting hands on a new delivery is way overdue. Unless there’s really nothing to see.

• Funny
Reactions: DVM3P
Yeah, why is that hard to imagine? 1,069 Tesla videos hit YouTube each day. On Tesla presentation days people are putting up videos before Elon is done speaking.

The first video to go up showing the differences is going to get a ton more clicks than the obscure Chineese video. All these channels want to be the first to report it and all these guys have a huge community of enthusiast followers. Getting hands on a new delivery is way overdue. Unless there’s really nothing to see.
Where are your two model 3s?

this is one of the better sources, unlike the hundreds of click bait robo articles that completely assume and spread false information.

I can’t say for 100% (no one can at this point), but the commments by AMD CEO Dr Su, especially in the post article footnote, appear to imply that the Model S and X chips are different.

So there is about a four generation difference between Intel Atom vs AMD Ryzen? Like iPhone 6 (2014) vs iPhone XS (2018)?

Ordered 10/12 LR white with black interior and Aeros, placed on hold till New Years. I passed on 3 VINs (154, 155, 156) with intel since I wanted new chip and more importantly new 12v. Not in a hurry to get one since I picked up our 7 seater Y as our primary family car in Dec. Finally got my Ryzen and new battery with 167xxx VIN. Super excited. I was missing our 2018 LR model 3 already, more fun and agile than the Y
What are the advantages of AMD Ryzen and new 12v battery?

What are the advantages of AMD Ryzen and new 12v battery?

Faster and newer processor, so more future proof. MCU 1 folks had it bad in later years of MCU 2 was released and started to get phased out on certain updates. My kids watch Netflix and Disney a lot so wanted better performance on that. I had Intel without much issues on my prior 3 and current Y, Takes some time to load up both. Lucky didn’t happen to me in 3 years of my old 3, but I worry about getting 12v battery failure out of the blue. So lithium supposedly is better than that. Lithium as 12v is better battery and technology. Waiting couple extra weeks didn’t matter to me since we still have our old car, so it was worth it for me to wait

• Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson