Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Faster and newer processor, so more future proof. MCU 1 folks had it bad in later years of MCU 2 was released and started to get phased out on certain updates. My kids watch Netflix and Disney a lot so wanted better performance on that. I had Intel without much issues on my prior 3 and current Y, Takes some time to load up both. Lucky didn’t happen to me in 3 years of my old 3, but I worry about getting 12v battery failure out of the blue. So lithium supposedly is better than that. Lithium as 12v is better battery and technology. Waiting couple extra weeks didn’t matter to me since we still have our old car, so it was worth it for me to wait
Thank you

Thank you, I ordered a Model Y last year hoping that it would come with 4680 but spouse indicated that she prefers a model 3, had to switch gears and ordered a model3

I got both, they both have their pros and cons. Ultimately spouse is always right!! If you have kids and plan on it, Y is superior car. Extra head space and extra space between 1st and 2nd row is nice and trunk space really helps. Double stroller fits with ease vs playing Tetris with 3. 3 is way more fun to drive.

Theres a bigger issue with new Tesla Model 3s (and Y’s) than Ryzen vs Atom. I’m surprised this isn’t getting more buzz, but I never heard of this until I started playing around with my new M3 today. Remember a couple months back when Tesla started shipping cars without USB-C ports? Well they have them now, but they may as well not.

All M3 and MY cars made after 11/18/2021 have “power only” USB-C ports in the center console. If you’ve never heard of such a thing (and you probably haven’t) here’s what that means. They can only be used to charge things. Thats it. No data. That means no sentry SSD can be hooked up to them. No USB music stick. No light show USB. and the biggest bullshit of it all, “NO GAME CONTROLLERS”. Thats right. And because those ports no longer support data or interaction with the infotainment center, you will not have Sonic, Cuphead, Catquest or any game that requires a controller installed on the car. They are not there. You wont have them. And for some odd reason that includes Tik Tok as well.

The only USB port in the car that interacts with the infotainment center is the USB-A port in the glovebox. Thats the only port that can be used for sentry mode, dash cam, game controllers, light show. 1 port for 1 function at at time. Locked away in the glove box.

Two USB charging ports in the console, thats all they are. Even though I can wirelessly charge two phones on the console wireless dock. Stupid, aggravating and nonsensical. Some people have been worrying about future proofing it. Ha! The whole infotainment computer has set itself back a few generations.

Theres a bigger issue with new Tesla Model 3s (and Y’s) than Ryzen vs Atom. I’m surprised this isn’t getting more buzz, but I never heard of this until I started playing around with my new M3 today. Remember a couple months back when Tesla started shipping cars without USB-C ports? Well they have them now, but they may as well not.

All M3 and MY cars made after 11/18/2021 have “power only” USB-C ports in the center console. If you’ve never heard of such a thing (and you probably haven’t) here’s what that means. They can only be used to charge things. Thats it. No data. That means no sentry SSD can be hooked up to them. No USB music stick. No light show USB. and the biggest bullshit of it all, “NO GAME CONTROLLERS”. Thats right. And because those ports no longer support data or interaction with the infotainment center, you will not have Sonic, Cuphead, Catquest or any game that requires a controller installed on the car. They are not there. You wont have them. And for some odd reason that includes Tik Tok as well.

The only USB port in the car that interacts with the infotainment center is the USB-A port in the glovebox. Thats the only port that can be used for sentry mode, dash cam, game controllers, light show. 1 port for 1 function at at time. Locked away in the glove box.

Two USB charging ports in the console, thats all they are. Even though I can wirelessly charge two phones on the console wireless dock. Stupid, aggravating and nonsensical. Some people have been worrying about future proofing it. Ha! The whole infotainment computer has set itself back a few generations.
Not to fear. Abstract Ocean to the rescue......

USB-C Upgrade Module

Yes, thats cool, I saw in another thread. The big problem is that Tesla is crippling the software based on the vehicle (vin manufacture date or something) and so changing the hardware might get you another port to plug in a SSD, theres probably going to be software issues remaining. I guess we wont know until late February until after this product is released. :(

Yes, thats cool, I saw in another thread. The big problem is that Tesla is crippling the software based on the vehicle (vin manufacture date or something) and so changing the hardware might get you another port to plug in a SSD, theres probably going to be software issues remaining. I guess we wont know until late February until after this product is released. :(
Some SC are saying that Tesla is adding BT controller support but you never know.

Some SC are saying that Tesla is adding BT controller support but you never know.
Yeah, I saw that too. But again, even if that happens in however long it takes for Tesla to decide to add it, it only solves one issue, you can have a bluetooth game controller. But you would still be forced to use the glovebox for your sentry SSD (thats ok, its where its reccomended anyway. But now you have nowhere to put a custom light show. If you want to use one, you would have to open your glovebox, unplug your SSD, start the show, replace your SSD etc. Same for any accessory that might be plugged into USB now or in the future.

The big question is WHY is Tesla doing this? Is it because the USB parts were hit by supply chain issues and they figured half ass USB ports were better than nothing for now? Or did they make a technical/engineering design issue that will affect all future builds?

Reactions: omkar
Yeah, I saw that too. But again, even if that happens in however long it takes for Tesla to decide to add it, it only solves one issue, you can have a bluetooth game controller. But you would still be forced to use the glovebox for your sentry SSD (thats ok, its where its reccomended anyway. But now you have nowhere to put a custom light show. If you want to use one, you would have to open your glovebox, unplug your SSD, start the show, replace your SSD etc. Same for any accessory that might be plugged into USB now or in the future.

The big question is WHY is Tesla doing this? Is it because the USB parts were hit by supply chain issues and they figured half ass USB ports were better than nothing for now? Or did they make a technical/engineering design issue that will affect all future builds?
No one knows, but I'll speculate that it's supply-chain related.

Why? Because there's already two Qi chargers up front, and why go to the added expense of putting any ports in the front of the console when you've got those? I doubt it's for those people out there still packing an iPhone 6 or 7, or an ancient flip phone.

Reactions: civicdrivr

Supply issues. One thing is sure. That we are not going to get those back. When Tesla get ridoff something that’s is.

No one knows, but I'll speculate that it's supply-chain related.

Why? Because there's already two Qi chargers up front, and why go to the added expense of putting any ports in the front of the console when you've got those? I doubt it's for those people out there still packing an iPhone 6 or 7, or an ancient flip phone.
But what about those who want to play lossless audio? This would mean you'd have to remove the sentry drive in order to plug in a music USB. Teslas have a really nice audio system, but you can't use it to play hi-fi music??? Makes no sense at all. Come on Tesla. WTF?

Reactions: disneygirl420
But what about those who want to play lossless audio? This would mean you'd have to remove the sentry drive in order to plug in a music USB. Teslas have a really nice audio system, but you can't use it to play hi-fi music??? Makes no sense at all. Come on Tesla. WTF?
What I mean is if the ports are going to be charge-only, there's no reason for them to even exist. But Tesla is still putting USB-C ports in the console, so I have to believe they will eventually be connected once the parts are available.

What I mean is if the ports are going to be charge-only, there's no reason for them to even exist. But Tesla is still putting USB-C ports in the console, so I have to believe they will eventually be connected once the parts are available.
I couldn't disagree more, to me and I think many others supplying power is by far the most important function of USB ports in a car, especially these USB-C ports with USB PD (much more powerful than USB-A). Yes I use the wireless charging pads often out of convenience, they're great for that, but if I need a proper quick charge or to keep a laptop powered, then I plug in.

Also I've read that the 3/Y charge-only ports support higher power than the older data+charge ones. That can be useful for laptops and other devices capable of sinking more power than a phone.

Reactions: frodebh
I couldn't disagree more, to me and I think many others supplying power is by far the most important function of USB ports in a car, especially these USB-C ports with USB PD (much more powerful than USB-A). Yes I use the wireless charging pads often out of convenience, they're great for that, but if I need a proper quick charge or to keep a laptop powered, then I plug in.

Also I've read that the 3/Y charge-only ports support higher power than the older data+charge ones. That can be useful for laptops and other devices capable of sinking more power than a phone.
I think you are sadly mistaken the importance of data communication with the cars computer.

I get it, you want to use your car as a battery pack for more devices than just two phones.

Good think for you that Tesla had provided 6 charging ports within reach on the drivers seat. 2 wireless phone chargers. 2 USB C ports in the console and 2 more USB C ports in the back of the console for rear passengers. You could also use that USB A port in the glove box, it’s slower but for owners with high charging demand like pyourself it should work in a pinch.

If that’s no enough charging ports, you can always add one of these to charge an ADDITIONAL 4 devices.

One can never have too many charging ports.