Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2024 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you get your VIN #; Digit 10 is either P = 2023 or R = 2024. Digit 11 is the Plant. A = Austin, F = Freemont or B = Berlin. My ordered Y is a 2023 build from Austin (god help me....I get a good build).
Digit 7 (fuel type) will also indicate battery type, starting with 2024 VINs - F = LFP battery, E = Lion battery. That will be very useful going forward. To this point, it has always just been E for electric.

I'm looking to take advantage of Tesla's transfer of free lifetime charging from my 2014 Model S to a new MY Performance if I take delivery before year end. They are showing the exact configuration I want in stock locally, but I was considering ordering to get a 2024. Maybe I'll get an extra few hundred dollars at resale? I'm not in any hurry as I need to sell my Model S & I do have an extra car to drive. If I order now, will I get a 2024, or will they assign me the car they have in stock?

I'm looking to take advantage of Tesla's transfer of free lifetime charging from my 2014 Model S to a new MY Performance if I take delivery before year end. They are showing the exact configuration I want in stock locally, but I was considering ordering to get a 2024. Maybe I'll get an extra few hundred dollars at resale? I'm not in any hurry as I need to sell my Model S & I do have an extra car to drive. If I order now, will I get a 2024, or will they assign me the car they have in stock?
I just ordered on the 28th and got assigned a 2023 MY

Why? What's wrong with being willing to wait a few weeks to get essentially the same product that will hold its value 1 year longer?
I think the comment is more that in Tesla's case that isn't a guarantee (like it is with other car brands). It's much more based on the specific configuration (like HW4) which isn't tied to model years for Tesla.

As an aside, I never understood the US obsession with car model years in terms of resale value (with the exception of a real model year changeover into the next generation of the specific car). In Europe (not sure if that's the case for every country, it is for the few countries I have lived in) the resale value will be based more on the original purchase/production date which makes way more sense IMHO.

As an example, a 2023 model year car could be sold as new on exactly the same day as a 2024 one, why would the 2023 be 'one year older' (assuming the 2024 one is the same generation). In the same way a 2024 model could be (almost) one year older than another one.

I agree, production date makes more sense, but no one tends to know or provide the production date when selling. So all we have to go on is the model year. In most cars miles and time are 2 indicators or condition. Rubber seals and gaskets will dry up over time. UV will damage and fade based on time. There are a lot of things that break down based on time alone, including batteries... and humans.

In the precovid world, and likely the norm going forward...within the first year, many cars will lose up to 20% of their value. After that, they may lose about 15% more per year until the four-or five-year mark.

So if you sell in the first 5 years or so it could save you 15% in depreciation to get the 24 vs 23 model year.

It’s a depreciating asset. Also, there’s more to used car value then the model year. Mileage, options, color, market.
I don't want to flood this thread going on a tangent, but its nearly indisputable that a newer model year will be worth more in resale.

The people who are interested in getting a 24 over a 23 are not considering different options, colors and will drive both vehicles the same milage. All else being equal, model year is a significant variable in car valuation.

Putting it simply, its possible waiting a few weeks now could save you thousands in depreciation depending on when you resell.

Reactions: rlsd and acpd
Seriously !!!!!! What a dumb question!!
It’s really not that dumb. If you have an educated buyer who is looking for a Model Y with FSD and they have the option of a 2022 FSD and 2023 FSD. The 2022 FSD would probably go for the same price as the 2023. Since the 2023 is missing the USS, it lacks the full functionality of FSD found in the 2022.
Tesla and the way they are valued is not the same as the legacy manufacturers. Also, Tesla buyers aren’t the same.

I would not wait too much longer to order. I've seen people reporting delivery dates slipping a bit.

I would not wait too much longer to order. I've seen people reporting delivery dates slipping a bit.
I ordered one last night hoping I’d get a new factory one as well when there was an exact match within 50 miles of me in Inventory. They assigned me a VIN within 10 minutes of ordering. Weirdly enough, the local one still shows up in Inventory when you look online.