Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2024 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something to keep in mind is that the vast majority of Prius packs out there are still NiMH. The degradation curve for a well-designed Lithium pack is much better. I'd be surprised if the Lithium-based Prius packs (and by extension the mature Teslas designs in recent cars) needed nearly as much out-of-warranty work as the NiMH ones did. But when they do I also have no doubt there will be enterprising companies ready to take the challenge on.
I somewhat apologize for bringing Prius into the thread, as it's a bit off-topic ecosystems comparison. But from my earlier post before that, degradation is not how most packs are failing, before or after 8-year warranty. They fail in other ways though, it's not necessarily a high %, as yet, so perhaps far fewer Tesla packs than Prius packs may need replacement. Some of the Tesla failure modes like excessive cell or module imbalances, corrosion from water intrusion - happened on Prius packs too, but you could basically rebuild those, whereas you can't with Tesla.

Reactions: vickh
Hey guys,

I would like to share my experience ordering a tesla model y. I hope to gain your guys insight and advice. I have been really excited to get one but the ordering/delivery experience has thus far been shockingly worse than I had anticipated. Not having to step into a dealership was a refreshing concept but so far I would have to say it has been much worse.

Last week I ordered a model y. The advisor was really nice and pleasant to talk to. He answered questions about the vehicle and helped me place an order. I requested a home delivery and he was able to get me set up with that. Then a few days later I reached back out to him and I asked about the home delivery process, what is considered a "drive off" during the process, and if I had an opportunity for an inspection prior to accepting the car. He flipped out and started yelling at me that we had already talked about this when i had placed the order. I told him I never asked him these specific questions before and previously only had inquired if home delivery is available. He then went on to rant that I had too many concerns that I should cancel the home delivery and go to the service center instead.

On delivery day the car arrive. The driver was really nice and without me asking actually offered to let me see the inside and outside of the car. Everything looked good but unfortunately there was a long deep scratch on the driver's side door (the most conspicuous area of the car!). The scratch was fairly deep with the fingernail catching the edges and some fraying of the deeper layers. The advisor said I should just accept and get it "buffed" out but that they are really busy.

I ended up rejecting the car due to this damage and its potential headaches of going to the service center multiple times. I informed the advisor and he had told me that I needed to place a new order since I had already used a vin change when I requested for the better priced vehicle prior to taking delivery. I offered to hitch a ride with the driver to switch the damage vehicle with the vehicle of the same spec and price that they have listed on their inventory. He refused this idea and just told me to either accept the current car or to place a new order. I took the hit of losing the $250 ordering fee and placed the order for a new vehicle.

I am awaiting delivery tomorrow but then today I got a call from that service center saying that I needed to sign the lease agreement documents and to pay the final payment before they can deliver the car. I signed the lease agreement but said that I was informed that I can make the final payment once the car gets delivered? The advisor then threatened me that because of their business practice they need the payment before delivering the car. A similar thing happened on the first delivery attempt and another advisor clarified that paying after delivery of the car would be fine. Now this has come up again and I am getting the same threat of not having the car delivered?

Why are they acting like a dealership ? Why are they trying to coerce customers to pay before even seeing the car? Since then I haven't heard back from them so I am unsure if the delivery will happen.

Thanks guys for hearing my long winded story. I am just really frustrated. A really exciting event has turned into a nightmare.

I requested a home delivery and he was able to get me set up with that.
Its my opinion no one should do Home delivery on a brand new Tesla, unless there is zero other option. You have CA under your name, so there is likely another option.
I am awaiting delivery tomorrow but then today I got a call from that service center saying that I needed to sign the lease agreement documents and to pay the final payment before they can deliver the car. I signed the lease agreement but said that I was informed that I can make the final payment once the car gets delivered? The advisor then threatened me that because of their business practice they need the payment before delivering the car. A similar thing happened on the first delivery attempt and another advisor clarified that paying after delivery of the car would be fine. Now this has come up again and I am getting the same threat of not having the car delivered?
Why are they acting like a dealership ? Why are they trying to coerce customers to pay before even seeing the car? Since then I haven't heard back from them so I am unsure if the delivery will happen.
Probably because of the home delivery. if you want to inspect, or reject vehicles etc, you should not be getting them delivered to your home. If you want to sign the lease paperwork after you see the car, you should be seeing if you can cancel the home delivery and take delivery in the delivery center.

As for "why are they trying to get you to pay before it gets delivered.... thats the way almost every other product that is delivered to your house is billed, including everything from Amazon, instacart, UberEats, etc. The next thing normally said is "its a car, not something from amazon", but all we are talking about that point is cost of goods.

When you get a product delivered to your home, you normally pay for it right before its shipped to you. Since you dont want to do that (understandable, I wouldnt either actually) dont get home delivery.

It it getting even weirder now...

They are now saying that they don't see the loan agreement documents and that on their end they see that the same car is going to be sent and not the new vin I ordered...
I emailed them the screen shot of the loan agreement section being done. I even read them details of the documents. They had me do this over and over. Still waiting...

I just bought 2024 Model Y Dual Motor Long Range (built in Fremont).
What are the differences between that and a Austin car?
Which type of battery cells would it have?
How's the recent quality coming out of Fremont compared to Austin?
Anything else I should know?

I just bought 2024 Model Y Dual Motor Long Range (built in Fremont).
What are the differences between that and a Austin car?
I believe that Fremont only makes 7-seaters and Austin only makes 5-seaters. For a while the two plants were installing slightly different parcel shelves (rear cargo area covers) and Fremont wasn't installing matrix-capable headlights yet but I believe both plants are using the same parts now and all cars are getting the matrix-capable lights. Other than that I don't know of any differences.

Hi All!

New member here and owner of a 24 Model Y Performance - Stealth Gray

We had been looking into Teslas for a while but were turned off by the prices and quality. A week ago I was browsing the site and saw the Model Y Performance being discounted significantly here in the Bay Area, down to $48,100 with Black Interior. I immediately ran the numbers and began the process to get out of our Mazda CX30 and into this car. When you consider the gas and how many times we were filling up in the Mazda, it made sense to get the MYP.

The overall buying process was pretty smooth, I was very nervous for the delivery and I wanted to make sure the car came perfect, which I told the sales guy if it doesn't I won't buy it and he assured me he would get me a good one and let me reject it if I didn't like it.

Ordered it on 4/7 in Sunnyvale and arrived 4/8 in the afternoon ready on time! It came in perfect condition inside and out thankfully.

Final numbers were:
$650/mo with tax included
24 months
10K miles per year
$2,600 due at signing

Delivery Day Pic

Attachments

• IMG_8849.jpeg
    IMG_8849.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 15