Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare fitment question, 2021 MYLR: URGENT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pianewman

2021 MYLR VIN 88,XXX, Rd/Wh, 12/20 delivery
Supporting Member
Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
For the first time, I mounted the ModernSpare on my 2021 MYLR to check it's fitment prior to a lengthy road trip.

I was shocked to see that the ModernSpare hub opening is considerably larger (3"?) than the MY hub (2 1/2"?)

Maybe this is old-school thinking, but it has been my understanding that any wheel should fit snugly around the hub itself, so that the HUB is supporting the vertical stress of the wheel, and that the lugbolts/nuts simply hold the wheel on the hub.

Am I missing something here, or is the ModernSpare not designed properly for our rather heavy Tesla MYs?

I'd like to hear from those that already own the ModernSpare and have put it on their car.

I know the difference, but I thought, with the challenges of EV weight, ANY wheel application for the Tesla would be hub-centric, I understand the tapered surface of the lug nuts centers the wheel on the lugs, but I wouldn't want the weight of the vehicle on the lug bolts.

When I think it through, though, given the required reduced speed while using the spare, and also assuming my car isn't driven off-road, the risk of damaging the lug bolts is minimal. In addition, the spare would be used only short distances.

Last edited: