Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare Size Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New correct size tire fit.jpg

This is the fit clearance in my Model S there is 1.25" below the rubber seal. I think I will be safe. Trunk closes just fine. I'll check it out with the Model Y later although I don't intend to use it with the Y.

Given the MY's 6.6" ground clearance with fully inflated tires, and this jack's reported 5 1/8" clearance, do you think it will still work factoring in a flat tire and the need for a puck?
I removed the black cup and replaced it with the a flat 1/4" thick washer. This is what I did and I tested it in Tesla Model S jack mode. But I'm used to improving designs. Most people won't venture in that direction. Besides, the Tesla rubber puck is too large in diameter to fit inside the jack cup. Does the Model Y have a jack mode? I never looked. You may be stuck with the Modern Spare small jack. It works but just more difficult.

I suggest you look at the topic on EV Dave's videos as he uses the hydraulic jack on his Y.

Ok guys- My model Y has returned home and I did some measurements for you with the proper size MS tire.

The MS tire without the cover will fit under the opening and the trunk will close, but it is a tight fit. I would not recommend it. If I were to put my MS tire kit in the Model Y I would resort to the front storage space by removing the Tesla lid. I would buy a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and cut it around the tire and then trim out a trunk rubber mat for a nice finish look.

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpg
    IMG_2299.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: ArtK
Just another update on my exchange of the MS for the correct one.

I still have not received the larger bag. My second request for a tracking number had no response. I have proof of delivery.

On Oct 1, I did receive an email they would "ship the bag out shortly."

I wonder what luck others have had getting their incorrect size spare exchanged.

you can't even order from Amazon right now.
?? I don't see a problem with that.

Update: I learned that they approved my return of the small tire and bag. They still owe me a bag that fits the larger tire size. They responded with a promise to ship one out this week sometime. When I receive that my nearly two month long exchange adventure will be over.

Best advice I can offer is stay on them with phone calls and emails.

?? I don't see a problem with that.

Update: I learned that they approved my return of the small tire and bag. They still owe me a bag that fits the larger tire size. They responded with a promise to ship one out this week sometime. When I receive that my nearly two month long exchange adventure will be over.

Best advice I can offer is stay on them with phone calls and emails.
Not sure what you mean - ?? I don't see a problem with that.

Just looked again and the list ing -

Snap10.png

confused. Which car is in the photo?
I think that is his MS. Must have just a tiny bit more room. Mine does not fit in the MY. I can get it in by tilting it but then it is rubbing against the headliner. If I take the floor cover off, it drops a couple inches and works.

My plan is not carry it locally but
1 - Call roadside. If I can get them out quickly and do a swap, it will be worth it to me.
2 - Call my wife to bring the spare. I bought a stuff sack for the jack and wrenches. I'm keeping those in the frunk. That drops the weight she has to lug to about 36 lbs.

On a trip, I'll probably put the rear seats down for room and just lay it flat. Or remove the floor and carry it like @TravelFree . That might depend on what I"m doing.

Reactions: TravelFree
Just had an idea. Hey ModernSpare. Bet you could increase orders if you also sold a custom floor. Take the current floor and put a bit of a curved well behind the seat. Just enough to drop the tire in case low enough to fit.

Or maybe one of the 3rd party accessory vendors like Abstract Ocean.

I'm thinking that, for road trip purposes, it might be preferable to place the spare vertically in the deep well, in front of the bumper. For sure, this would be inconvenient for loading/unloading the rear hatch area, but actually, in the event of a blowout on the highway, having the spare easily accessible would make the tire/wheel change easier.
Now that I've said that, I realize there needs to be space for the damaged tire/wheel to stow after removal...hmm...The OEM wheel/tire is much thicker than the Modern Spare.
Oh, the mind boggles...