Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifying orders and Costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had a nice chat with Tesla this morning about adding FSD to my car this morning which shed some light on on changes to orders in general.

Adding FSD at the time of delivery is not generally acceptable. Your milage may vary and while they allowed a few to do it in the beginning, it caused paperwork issues on their end so in the interest of streamlining everything, FSD/EAP should be part of your configuration or added post deliver for $2k more. It's no longer their policy to add it last minute. Again, ymmv here. Getting this info actually required him to research and call me back as he wanted to make sure to give me accurate info.

On that note I asked him about adding it now as it'll push me back in the queue potentially and expose me to the new pricing if AWD and paint. This is where things got interesting. He said changes to the order won't affect pricing of other items and that while the website shows that you're being hit for all related items, it will only actually hit you for things you change.

For example, I want my same config but want to add FSD. Even though the configurator says it's going to charge the extra 1k for AWD and 500 for paint that when it processes, they will roll back those to the original cost.

If you change the paint color, then you would have to pay the increased price. If you're going from RWD to AWD, you'll pay the increase, etc.

I did forget to ask him about the doc fee increase but even if that does hit me, I'm not going to have a fit over $200.

Also, order edits do not affect your queue position nearly as much as your first config date when you gave them your $2500.

Hope this helps people.

The actual text of the FSD pricing states it's $3000 any time before you take delivery of the car.

Which would include day of delivery before you accept the vehicle.

Sounds like the dude on the phone just wanted the 3k sooner.

The actual text of the FSD pricing states it's $3000 any time before you take delivery of the car.

Which would include day of delivery before you accept the vehicle.

Sounds like the dude on the phone just wanted the 3k sooner.

There are people who have said that they could not get thr 3k price at the time of delivery recently so I called to clarify. "The dude on the phone" has no vested interest in what I buy. The fact that he took the time to tell me he didn't know for sure if it was possible and would research and called me back almost an hour later tells me that he wanted to get the right answer for the customer. Not cause an issue.

There are people who have said that they could not get thr 3k price at the time of delivery recently so I called to clarify.

Can you show me links to folks who have said that? I must have missed every one of em.

"The dude on the phone" has no vested interest in what I buy. The fact that he took the time to tell me he didn't know for sure if it was possible and would research and called me back almost an hour later tells me that he wanted to get the right answer for the customer. Not cause an issue.

there's lots and lots of folks whose posts I can link YOU to where "dude on the phone" was factually wrong about incredibly basic stuff... (for a while we'd have posts like "Guy on phone said the 18s fit over the P upgraded brakes" "Really? they told me the opposite!" or posts like "Guy on phone told me reservation date no longer matters, it's all first come first serve!" "Really? I was told reservation and ownership both matter!" "Really? I was told reservation but NOT ownership matters!".... and on and on.)

Far more reliable than "guy on phone" who will give you a different answer depending which you get is the actual website- which tells you clearly it's $3000 until after delivery- at which point it's 5k (for new orders).

It doesn't say "Goes up to 5k after VIN assigned" or "goes up to 5k after configuration is done"

It's 5k after delivery

Any time before that, it's 3k.

Can you show me links to folks who have said that? I must have missed every one of em.

there's lots and lots of folks whose posts I can link YOU to where "dude on the phone" was factually wrong about incredibly basic stuff... (for a while we'd have posts like "Guy on phone said the 18s fit over the P upgraded brakes" "Really? they told me the opposite!" or posts like "Guy on phone told me reservation date no longer matters, it's all first come first serve!" "Really? I was told reservation and ownership both matter!" "Really? I was told reservation but NOT ownership matters!".... and on and on.)

Far more reliable than "guy on phone" who will give you a different answer depending which you get is the actual website- which tells you clearly it's $3000 until after delivery- at which point it's 5k (for new orders).

It doesn't say "Goes up to 5k after VIN assigned" or "goes up to 5k after configuration is done"

It's 5k after delivery

Any time before that, it's 3k.

I'm not going to dig through the 50 something pages in the AWD thread but that's where I saw it.

I'm also not going to sit here and argue with you about it. The way that it was explained to me and some others is that you're trying to edit your configuration after a VIN is assigned even though it's just software. The discrepancy in the information is exactly why I said your mileage may vary. Not sure why you're so up in arms about it.

Just go to the manual URL edit design link posted many times before even if you have no edit button, they just re-adjusted the prices as of 8/14 for those who are "grandfathered" in to the old pricing.

Yep, just found this out on my own 15 min ago when I went to the manual URL link to verify still no VIN locked in. My pricing for options was back to original. Very tempting to change things but honestly I’d take the closest car to my config currently available if I could. Color be damned. Here’s a pic of my edit design with original pricing for paint back on it. Same for AWD.

Attachments

• F4B4D5B7-5958-4B0B-80C1-E409566999BE.png
    F4B4D5B7-5958-4B0B-80C1-E409566999BE.png
    407.2 KB · Views: 59