Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moisture condensation in taillights, fog lights, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had enough with poor quality Tesla Model 3- worst of all people working at the Tesla. WTF, why is it OK to have water leak on the electric car? Is Tesla brain dead- electricity and water don't mix well?

View attachment 475450
View attachment 475451

I agree with both you and Tesla.

Tesla should not replace the light at their cost as its not a problem. 99% of the time....the condensation goes away after you start driving and it does not cause the light to rust or fail in any way.

I agree with you that if you don't like it....sell it.

A $60k+ Model 3 will have the same build quality as a $35k model 3. The main difference will be battery and motor along with a few minor interior features. So when stating that you’re paying $50k for the car, you’re just paying for the battery/motor/software, while retaining the $35k build quality.

I agree with you.

The tail light "does not know" or cares how much you paid for the car...so.....

I very rarely see a car with fogged up tail lights. I very often go out to my model 3 with fogged up tail lights. Not saying others do not have the same problem, I just personally do not see fogged up tail lights on the road as a normal thing in moist conditions.

I’ve had this on almost every car I’ve owned. Some are just better at it then others.

the lights aren’t sealed on purpose. It allows expansion, cooling, and no pressurization where it might pop if broken.

all that being said, keep an eye on pooling water or major drops, then the housing isn’t venting properly.

Wrong. Most, if not all, tail light housings is "sealed" with just rubber strip, air pressure is easily equalized if needed. Tesla just has poor quality. I've had anything from cheapo Chevy Spark and Corvettes to Lexus GS and Acura, none had water condensation in tail light housings, Lol.

Reactions: TCloudman
Wrong. Most, if not all, tail light housings is "sealed" with just rubber strip, air pressure is easily equalized if needed. Tesla just has poor quality. I've had anything from cheapo Chevy Spark and Corvettes to Lexus GS and Acura, none had water condensation in tail light housings, Lol.

Well, those cars probably had halogen bulbs which keeps the housing hot and dries the humid air inside. Tesla uses LED bulbs and they don't produce that much waste heat. Here in Norway I often see condensation in the housings mostly during the colder months because the humidity inside won't dry up. I also had condensation on my previous Mercedes which also had LED headlights.

Reactions: tracksyde
I'm sorry but moisture inside the tail lights look tacky, especially when there is no reason to design an LED tail light with an air gap inside them. They should be a solid piece.

No. There’s likely a good reason for this. LEDs still produce heat! And what happens when hot air meets cold air? Right. So you need somewhere for that moisture to go. Same thing with your house windows.

8291DEAB-D9D0-4FEA-9C14-35680E2F3E83.jpeg
597CFC70-CE73-4125-92E5-005CF232723F.jpeg
Granted this MS, but this is not acceptable! Was replaced under ESA. Also bugs in tailights

^Agree. FWIW, my car had a case of taillight water in the first month. Then I adjusted the trunk fit just by turning the mounting posts to even the gaps on left and right sides. Thereafter never had water in the taillight again. I cannot say that was causal, but 11 months later still no h2o in there.