Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Molded mud flaps arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Theses are the eBay ones as well:

IMG_20190728_133335.jpg
IMG_20190728_133354.jpg

Got them on tonight temporarily. It's really tough getting the push connectors back in with the extra thickness of the mud flaps. It pretty much requires use of a mallet, it'd be much easier up on a lift with the wheels off. I'll try to get an idea if there's an efficiency difference tomorrow, my average is always very close to 250 wh/mile on my weekday routine, but there's rain forecast which would probably make a bigger difference than having these on.

Interested to see what the impact is to the wheelspray on the side of the car more than the efficiency change.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
how hard are they to install? I'm an 100 pound weak female - does it require a lot of hand strength to push those fastners in? Are there already holes or do u have to drill them?

These are a pretty easy install. Mine took about 17 days to arrive after ordering and they can be installed with a flat blade screwdriver, 10mm wrench or socket, and drill/driver to screw in the top-front screws into wheel well plastic. They come with more than enough hardware to do the job.

There is no drilling required, you can just use the screw at the top of the front flaps as self tapping. Its a little hard to describe, but it helps to preinstall the front with both old pins and try to screw in the top screw to mark the location. It won't screw in because of plastic deflection on the fender well. You can then take off the temporarily installed mudflap and get the screw tapped through the location you marked in the previous step.

The back is really easy with the plastic pin and existing 10mm bolt, and the top of it is molded to clip on to the rear quarter metal really nicely.

I'm very happy with the look - no pictures because they look exactly like @x-cimo pictures above on my blue car.

The only negative I've seen so far on my car is that the molded corner on driver's front only has a little gap highlighting a misaligned front fender to rocker panel as my car was delivered. Not the fault of the mudflaps at all. I used two screws on that flap to try and hide the problem a little better.

These are a pretty easy install. Mine took about 17 days to arrive after ordering and they can be installed with a flat blade screwdriver, 10mm wrench or socket, and drill/driver to screw in the top-front screws into wheel well plastic. They come with more than enough hardware to do the job.

There is no drilling required, you can just use the screw at the top of the front flaps as self tapping. Its a little hard to describe, but it helps to preinstall the front with both old pins and try to screw in the top screw to mark the location. It won't screw in because of plastic deflection on the fender well. You can then take off the temporarily installed mudflap and get the screw tapped through the location you marked in the previous step.

The back is really easy with the plastic pin and existing 10mm bolt, and the top of it is molded to clip on to the rear quarter metal really nicely.

I'm very happy with the look - no pictures because they look exactly like @x-cimo pictures above on my blue car.

The only negative I've seen so far on my car is that the molded corner on driver's front only has a little gap highlighting a misaligned front fender to rocker panel as my car was delivered. Not the fault of the mudflaps at all. I used two screws on that flap to try and hide the problem a little better.

Have you used any kind of tape or film between the mudflaps and the paint?

Have you used any kind of tape or film between the mudflaps and the paint?

I didn't. The back clips on very securely even on the top, so I don't expect any motion relative to the paint. The only thing I could see moving would be the front toward the top. I thought about and still might put a dab of silicone in that area.

In any case the paint will be in better shape than when it was getting blasted by rocks.

how hard are they to install? I'm an 100 pound weak female - does it require a lot of hand strength to push those fastners in? Are there already holes or do u have to drill them?

If you're reusing the existing push pins, its nearly impossible to push these in without a mallet or some other tool you can get leverage with. I'm fairly large and I found it quite difficult doing this with the car on the ground and the wheels on, so you might want to find help, or have them put on when you're having your tires rotated.

The only hole you need to drill is for the screws at the top of the front mud guards, into the plastic wheel well liner. Turning the wheels left and right will give you all the access you need. You might be able to skip this if you used double sided tape instead.

• Informative
Reactions: tkc9789
I like the look of these. I requested a refund from the group buy of the flat flaps that was going on in another thread. Been two weeks and never even received an order confirmation.

I thought for certain I was going to go with the ones from the Group Buy (the flat ones), but looking more at these China/eBay ones, I think I like these better. They definitely are molded better, fit better, and provide a more integrated OEM look. I might pull the trigger on these. But the only thing holding me back is that I found these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TWD1M7...&colid=JOIK1DIX35IR&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

They have them in Blue, which is my car's color. But not sure how well they'd match the DBM color. Has anyone purchased these colored ones?

--Cintoman

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and elf9