Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More anti-ev gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except that the first battery car ran 100 years ago...

Early electric cars traveled more than 50 miles on a charge...
And were basically equivalent to golf carts. Not really a valid comparison. That Jay Leno quote always annoyed me for that very reason. A 25 mph top speed on bicycle tires with zero creature comforts and no safety features is no comparison at all to what modern EV's are expected to provide. A $75K Model S, similar cost to the Andersen in the article, will go over 400 miles at 25 mph, and still have all the bells and whistles, and safety features.

Mr. P jumping on some recent battery problems with the Mitsubishi i trying to stir the pot: http://seekingalpha.com/article/1308121-are-ev-dreams-going-up-in-smoke

For those who don't want to hand him a penny:
Some might disagree, but I think an electric car that the owner can't charge isn't much more useful than an airplane that the owner can't fly.
Special swipe at Tesla:
It could just as easily happen to General Motors (GM), Ford (F), Nissan (NSANY.OB) or even the mighty Tesla Motors (TSLA). While the big boys would no doubt survive the rocky road, niche players with feeble balance sheets who use massive quantities of commodity grade cells might have a tougher time adjusting to the challenge.

It looks like the Mitsu was in the lab when they were doing QA testing. C'mon, it didnt make it to a consumer product. Hard to say an industrial accident is a systemic problem. Mitsu is doing a CYA move to ensure they dont get sued.

How many batteries goes through the QA mitsubishi lab? How many regular engines go through the QA engine lab?
Then how many are subpar or somethibg happens? Lines blow, coolant problems, etc, etc.
didnt toyota and ford recall a bunch of cars for fire hazards last year?

I was at the New York car show looked at the Honda Fit EV price about $36,000 I began to figure a nice small EV to buy. I looked around for someone form Honda to speak to about the car. I began the conversation that I was interested in purchasing the Fit EV. It was explained that you were required to lease it. Ok what is the price to buy it at the end? Well sir the lease includes all maintenance and a litany of other things and she began to be quieter.I countered back in other words the car will be taken away from me after the lease like Mini, BMW etc. Sir it is unproven technology. I really felt like saying that electric motor running is unproven how??? I just walked off not worth arguing a moron!

I was at the New York car show looked at the Honda Fit EV...

Herb, like the MINI E before and the current ActiveE, the cars are not full production - they're not geared to stock parts and maintain trained staff for the long-haul nor have the cars been crash tested and approved in this form and lastly, it's a 'compliance car' that exists only for the purposes of meeting California regulations.

As great as the MINI E was, and we all wanted to keep ours, the cars were a rolling science experiment built from an alien parts bin. There's no way that MINI would be able to support them into the future. Many owners insisted that they'd take them 'as-is' but, that's not possible under US law and, I suspect that those that wanted to keep them would shy away when they realized that even a minor failure in the drive train would leave them stranded... forever.

Whilst I'm irritated that the Fit and others are not full production cars and that the manufacturers are building these somewhat begrudgingly, the sheer numbers on the road are starting to really raise awareness and forcing people to question the real viability of EVs. There is a quiet yet growing call for production EVs.

FYI: the Fit deal is $389/month for unlimited mileage, all maintenance costs and includes a get-out-free if you were to move out of the supported area. It's a good deal for a cracking commuter car.

The crazy part is the Fit is using Toshiba Scib nano titanate cells that will probably outlast the vehicle, so the one possible unknown with some EV's, the battery longevity, is pretty much eliminated in the Fit. Maybe that's why it's lease only, Honda want's the batteries back to use in other products.

Is it wrong to call out the people who made the comments a year and a half ago that said Sell TSLA, it's going to be the next Solyndra.. yada.. yada ..yada now?

There was one I just called out and referenced their earlier article..

Sell Ford... says the same writer who said sell TSLA when it was $22 18 months ago...TSLA is at $43 now

Dubious autobloggreen-‘news’-piece?

This seems to me, to be a really misinformed and misleading piece of ’news’. Unfortunately though I don’t have the know-how to correct it, nor do I really know how to, even if I did have said know-how. But perhaps there’s someone on this forum that does, if you feel that this should indeed be corrected.

Title: Expert: Unsafe lithium-ion batteries mean EV sales predictions were off by "more than a factor of 10"

Expert: Unsafe lithium-ion batteries mean EV sales predictions were off by

http://www.businessinsider.com/whats-holding-affordable-electric-cars-back-2013-4

The dream of an electric car that's both affordable and practical has eluded automakers, and will likely do so for another decade.
The problem is a lack of cheap, powerful battery technology that keeps ranges limited, charge times long, and prices high.

The hilarious part is their choice of EV. image The Fiat 500 EV pricing was just announced at as low as $20k.
2013-fiat-500e-electric.jpg

Last edited: