Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More FSD Beta 11.3.3 Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just uploaded a video to YouTube of today's adventures:

The HOV lane problem is a new issue, as far as I can recall. Nav on Autopilot was able to get out of an HOV lane to take a route-planned exit.

I will be posting more problem videos. Seemingly, FSD beta misbehaves in my area a lot more than others have experienced in theirs.

Haven't used v11 yet, but wondering about something...

One of the issues with v10 is that the car is poor at planning lane changes needed to follow the route (NoA is the same way on the highway). On secondary/city streets, the car will tell you about an upcoming lane change long before it actually needs to change lanes, but then it won't actually try to change lanes until the last minute, and there's often traffic in the way. The one "intervention" I make most often when using FSDb is forcing preemptive lane changes so I know I won't be blocked.

Has this improved at all in v11? I do have v11 in one of my cars, but I'm trading that one in soon so I'm avoiding driving it. Still waiting for v11 in our other car.

One of the issues with v10 is that the car is poor at planning lane changes needed to follow the route (NoA is the same way on the highway). On secondary/city streets, the car will tell you about an upcoming lane change long before it actually needs to change lanes, but then it won't actually try to change lanes until the last minute, and there's often traffic in the way. The one "intervention" I make most often when using FSDb is forcing preemptive lane changes so I know I won't be blocked.

Has this improved at all in v11? I do have v11 in one of my cars, but I'm trading that one in soon so I'm avoiding driving it. Still waiting for v11 in our other car.

I'll say it is...umm...different. I know what you mean and unfortunately I think there is going to be a lot of YMMV. I still find it making lane changes under the following route guise that are either unnecessary or wrong. There is also some waiting too long to make the lane change decision but on my route the last couple days it seems to be acting with some variability in the timing. I have definitely had it change lanes to follow the route just for it to change back for the same reason.

Personally I think that the car needs a bit of geographical referenced memory, specifically in regards to lane count and orientation referenced to map/route required. For example, I have an intersection that has two straight lanes but after the intersection the right one has 1 entrance to an apartment complex, and two entrance/exits for a church and then ends after a total of 0.2 miles past the intersection. My car used to always put me in that right lane going through the intersection which was annoying. With 11.3.3, I think I have gone through the intersection twice and once it chose the right lane and once it chose the left lane...with minimal traffic.

Given this is part of my normal route home over 35 miles, I think it should be able to remember the lane configuration along the routed navigation.

Just after this point it also(still) turns on the left turn signal and hesitates while it decides whether it wants to turn left into a forest... same spot every time. 🤣

This version does plan differently.

There is one spot where all FSD versions failed for me so far. Two lane road initially splits into 3. Two left lanes turn left, 3rd one stays straight and eventually another lane appears on the right for turning. So to go straight, you have to stay on the right lane all the way. And no signs to indicate this until the very last moment. Lots of cars make quick lane changes late here.

Unfortunately, the mapping (lane) data is also wrong here due to recent updates to the road. It used to just stop on the wrong lane and looking confused.

11.3.3 still got the approach wrong, but it actually tried to switch a lane before making a stop. Almost pulled it off, but the car on my right was too close. Previous versions didn't even try to change lane at this spot.

Oh and when I visited this town the very first time, I, a human driver, also failed on this spot. 😅

Hopefully this kind of scenario will be properly handled better in the future - vision overriding mapping data.

I am having a flashing autodrive icon. Also it took away a good boy while my hands were on the wheel. I'm not impressed with 11.3 .3 2021 model X performance
Braking while on a road alone. And the drivers notes ummmmmm haven't see it yet.

V11.3.3 looked promising at first. Hopefully the team is diligently working on a v11.3.4 release with real meat on the bones. It feels like they wham-bammed the V11.3.3 release.
That sounds like a version of the next release is mind blowing. They should just give up on self driving. Build a better car with fewer defects, increase range, and
put back radar to warn of impending disaster(s). Forget this overpriced Dojo supercomputer.

For me, that is still a problem in V11.3

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
I used to have a relaxing drive using autopilot on hour long freeway driving. I can change my music, drink my coffee etc. Now on 11.3, the car (refreshed S) warns me more frequently, to the degree that I can't change my music or it will disable autopilot and mark a point from the FSD beta.

The car also slows down too much when going around walled freeway. The old autopilot can do the same curve with my set speed.

Forcing us to use the percentage offset is another problem. Now I have to adjust my max speed every time back to 10 over.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
I had a simple drive home from Wendy's. Couple miles straight then right turn (jerky) 1 block then left started a a wide turn to the right and missed the left, went back into FSD 3 stop signs, right turn, 1 block then left, home. The left turns were jerky also. This code is a colossal CF.
I feel it is all Wendy's fault.
My impression from V.11.3.4 is that it is ... interesting. It does some things better, like driving on unmarked WIDE residential roads and doing some turns more confidently. It feels as it is unsure about some turns and intersections where it was overconfident before, but now it introduces some teenager drama. So, I take it over and tell the car to relax.

Edit: one more thing. I notice the FSD sometimes replicates the bad-driver behavior, such as cutting corners in left turns. I had to take over several times when the car was clearly bulling the drivers waiting in the left-turn lane.

Since some portion, or potentially all, of the planner was moved to new neural nets, it seems from various reports and videos that lane selection and some turns are rough right now.

For those that don't know, the "planner" is what is generating that blue tendril/tentacle that shows you where the car is going. It's responsible for taking mapping/route data and planning out where the car needs to be to execute maneuvers. It also handles things like lane changes for speed.

V11 made some big changes to planning and control, so I always expect some roughness when a neural net takes over functions that were previously hard coded. If the pattern holds from previous updates, more telemetry from the fleet will help dial in the new nets and hopefully smooth things out.