Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More stupid gimmicks coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Grand Kids after not seeing them for almost a year. Told them that I bought a new Tesla, and the first words out of their mouths was asking if it could still "Fart" and do the Christmas dance.

Things that seem unimportant to some, are valued by others.

Elon is moving forward with the full belief that in the near future, his cars will become fully self driving. When that happens, he wants to have a full suite of entertainment available to the passengers...just like people want on long distance airplane rides.

Elon just tweeted this:

"Customized horn & movement sounds (coconuts being one, of course) coming to Teslas soon"
Elon Musk on Twitter

Seriously!? This is so dumb. Why do we need to be able to customize our horn sounds? Why? There are so many other more meaningful features like text message support that are more important.

I know Tesla can do two things at once and these sort of gimmicks don't really hurt anybody but they kinda irritate me.

Rant over.

It’s “Parlor tricks and gimmicks,” if you would... :p

You can get the Monty Python sound clip right now for any Model S or X!!

https://ev-cpo.com/horn

My EV-HORN (PWD) allows you to upload any sounds you want, and you can have up to eight different sounds triggered by wireless remote control, or even the HOMELINK options in the car.

I'm working on a V2 which is speed sensitive so it can play any sound you want when accelerating or decelerating (different sounds for each), by remote control, or even with a mobile app!

• Love
Reactions: MitchMitch
This is definitely not stupid gimmick.

I can't count the number of times I've had to either honk my horn or roll my windows down while increasing my radio volume to let pedestrians know I'm behind them. It was getting pretty irritating at my work's parking structure.

Reactions: Brian's ReX
This is definitely not stupid gimmick.

I can't count the number of times I've had to either honk my horn or roll my windows down while increasing my radio volume to let pedestrians know I'm behind them. It was getting pretty irritating at my work's parking structure.

Directional horns are not a gimmick but a horn that makes fart sounds is. My first post was about the farting horn sound which I definitely consider a gimmick.

They're trying to make light fun out of a new regulation being imposed on the vehicle.
New regulation ?

I kind of remember the whole EV crowd getting very worked up in 2012/13 when the idea came out.

Feds: Electric cars must make noise so pedestrians can hear

The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 requires the U.S. Transportation Department, which includes NHTSA, to write a rule addressing this issue by Jan. 4, 2014.​

New regulation ?

I kind of remember the whole EV crowd getting very worked up in 2012/13 when the idea came out.

Feds: Electric cars must make noise so pedestrians can hear

The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 requires the U.S. Transportation Department, which includes NHTSA, to write a rule addressing this issue by Jan. 4, 2014.​

Final ruling did not come out till April 2018.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 141, Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

Regardless if it's old or new regulation doesn't mean anything to me. I'm just glad I'll have something to alert pedestrians without having to use the loud horn.

They're trying to make light fun out of a new regulation being imposed on the vehicle. What's wrong with that? It's not like the only option we'll have is the fart sound.

And honestly, if I was the pedestrian being honked at... I'd rather it be a funny fart sound than a harsh honk sound. It's funny and functional.

I've yet to have this happen in a parking structure, probably due to the noise the wheels make being amplified by the concrete box we're driving in... but I have certainly had it happen in numerous outdoor parking lots. Especially when going past the doorways of business, etc., or when people are leaving their cars and don't hear me coming.

I don't have strong feelings either way... but it would, as stated, be nice to choose what that sound - if mandated - would be.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I was at the Service Center waiting for my car when I started to hear a futuristic warpy sound behind me. When I looked back it was a new Model 3 that was backing up. I asked a tech and he said the new model 3’s being delivered come from factory with this now. They’ve actually had a few people come back to the center post delivery because of a “weird” sound while reversing, lol.

It seems like no one is considering blind pedestrians traveling. The added sound can be helpful at low speeds for people who are not able to see to identify a vehicle.
I teach people who are blind how to travel independently (Orientation and Mobility), and vehicles traveling slowly are hard to hear, but once any vehicle is moving 30+ ish mph, it is the sound of the tires and wind noise that make the vehicle detectable.

Reactions: jebinc and arghx7