Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More stupid gimmicks coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Elon just tweeted this:

"Customized horn & movement sounds (coconuts being one, of course) coming to Teslas soon"
Elon Musk on Twitter

Seriously!? This is so dumb. Why do we need to be able to customize our horn sounds? Why? There are so many other more meaningful features like text message support that are more important.

I know Tesla can do two things at once and these sort of gimmicks don't really hurt anybody but they kinda irritate me.

Rant over.

I will reevaluate ever buying a Tesla again if it makes some stupid noise when I'm driving to "warn" pedestrians or whatever feel-good reason they assign to it. I wanted a quiet car and I bought a quiet car.

Here's a novel idea; how 'bout they get the stuff we already paid for working properly and then bolster their customer service staff. I don't need more "features" that are just going to continue vamping my already limited resources of my MCU1 car. I would, however, like my wipers to function properly or my browser to actually work.

You know what would be truly revolutionary? If someone at Tesla answered the phone whenever I had a problem and needed help. Now THAT would be noteworthy.

I will reevaluate ever buying a Tesla again if it makes some stupid noise when I'm driving to "warn" pedestrians or whatever feel-good reason they assign to it. I wanted a quiet car and I bought a quiet car.

Here's a novel idea; how 'bout they get the stuff we already paid for working properly and then bolster their customer service staff. I don't need more "features" that are just going to continue vamping my already limited resources of my MCU1 car. I would, however, like my wipers to function properly or my browser to actually work.

You know what would be truly revolutionary? If someone at Tesla answered the phone whenever I had a problem and needed help. Now THAT would be noteworthy.

The governments here and in the EU have decided that future cars must make those noises.

Tesla didn’t have much of choice, but they’re trying to make it more fun and less onerous, unlike the other companies.

Seriously!? This is so dumb. Why do we need to be able to customize our horn sounds? Why? There are so many other more meaningful features like text message support that are more important.
I bet the customized horn is a weekend worth of effort and text message work is not.

Why do we have cars in this world when so many millions are hungry and homeless ?

The governments here and in the EU have decided that future cars must make those noises.

Tesla didn’t have much of choice, but they’re trying to make it more fun and less onerous, unlike the other companies.
I realize why EU has it but I do NOT want it here in the US. Especially considering there is absolutely not data to support that it increases safety which was the intention of the regulation in the EU. I'm a bit sensitive to this since I get so sick of laws being passed in the name of safety that absolutely nothing to actually increase safety. Just chipping away at our freedoms, one "safety measure" at a time.

I realize why EU has it but I do NOT want it here in the US. Especially considering there is absolutely not data to support that it increases safety which was the intention of the regulation in the EU. I'm a bit sensitive to this since I get so sick of laws being passed in the name of safety that absolutely nothing to actually increase safety. Just chipping away at our freedoms, one "safety measure" at a time.

I’m not really a fan of it myself, but it’s the law in the US as well now, though I think they have until sometime next year to start complying here.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
The “noise” is to comply with regulatory requirements. So to me, that’s not a Tesla thing but juz a compliance thing we and Tesla presently don’t have much choice in seemingly. We can complain and while I understand the ideological argument against it, seems like the dye is sorta cast on that.

Concerning features: We have young kids and the novel/new things that pop up in the car are actually really fun for them. I don’t think these little additions cost Tesla a ton of time or $ in the making but they do offer another slice of “value added” in my opinion and make the car more “experience” versus just car or just electric or just performance or just tech or the ability to play games or your riding companion in chess. Rather, the cars are a blending of all these elements that for me...continue to just set it apart. As a -really- functional Sentry stacks above an earlier “dash-cam” that goes back in time for us (and whereas before, there was none of that) and where Smart Summon adds to summon and shocks and amazes people I encounter daily and when I’m able to charging (say in Kettleman), where I not only enjoy a key coded / Tesla exclusive entry to a small Tesla store and Barista and clean bathrooms and sitting area and exit...only to watch Netflix in my car and while it’s finishing out it’s charge. I’m content.

Then just unplug the speaker already.

The “noise” is to comply with regulatory requirements. So to me, that’s not a Tesla thing but juz a compliance thing we and Tesla presently don’t have much choice in seemingly. We can complain and while I understand the ideological argument against it, seems like the dye is sorta cast on that.

Concerning features: We have young kids and the novel/new things that pop up in the car are actually really fun for them. I don’t think these little additions cost Tesla a ton of time or $ in the making but they do offer another slice of “value added” in my opinion and make the car more “experience” versus just car or just electric or just performance or just tech or the ability to play games or your riding companion in chess. Rather, the cars are a blending of all these elements that for me...continue to just set it apart. As a -really- functional Sentry stacks above an earlier “dash-cam” that goes back in time for us (and whereas before, there was none of that) and where Smart Summon adds to summon and shocks and amazes people I encounter daily and when I’m able to charging (say in Kettleman), where I not only enjoy a key coded / Tesla exclusive entry to a small Tesla store and Barista and clean bathrooms and sitting area and exit...only to watch Netflix in my car and while it’s finishing out it’s charge. I’m content.

I should further expand on this to say that, if you are forced to have a noise I guess it's nice to be able to customize it. My rantings were more about how I didn't want that kind of regulation here because it's silly.

What speaker? I have no speaker. Just the ones in the side blaring Credence Clearwater Revival, Kid Rock and Neil Diamond. lulz

The external speaker behind the front bumper that is required by law that you keep saying you don't want.

People keep telling you it's required by law in the US and you keep saying you don't like the idea. We get it. But do you?

The external speaker behind the front bumper that is required by law that you keep saying you don't want.

People keep telling you it's required by law in the US and you keep saying you don't like the idea. We get it. But do you?
Why are you still talking to me. If you can't sense sarcasm feel free to add me to your ignore list so keep your jimmies from getting ruffled.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Elon just tweeted this:

"Customized horn & movement sounds (coconuts being one, of course) coming to Teslas soon"
Elon Musk on Twitter

I know Tesla can do two things at once and these sort of gimmicks don't really hurt anybody but they kinda irritate me.

Rant over.
In general, I think you'll find that programmers adding stuff they think is fun makes real useful features appear more quickly. Happier, more relaxed programmers work faster and better.

So think of it as free stuff. And ignore it if you don't like it. I haven't even looked at any of the games in my Teslas.