Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most favorite part about driving the M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is owning a tesla in Michigan besides the fact you need to go to Ohio for a service center? I've heard drag racers getting pissed that a simple to use sedan is beating them at the tracks.
It’s great. The state government is hostile but that’s because they’ve been bought and paid for by the dealer lobby. (We’re working on it but it’s a marathon, not a sprint.) But I haven’t met one single actual human person who wasn’t somewhere on the spectrum between politely curious and drooling fanboy. Even the people matching stereotypes you might think would be resentful are anything but, e.g. the construction worker in the camo jacket who wanted to know all about the 0-60 time and top speed. I don’t get as many thumbs-up and shout-outs from passers-by as I used to now that the cars are more common, but that’s definitely the vibe.

I guess there might be people with bad feelings at drag tracks. I’ve never been to one so I don’t know.

Also, the going-to-Ohio for a SC thing is a pain in the butt in principle but so far, in practice it’s been fine, in fact in many ways more convenient than living near a SC because everything is valet service. My car was trailered to my door when I bought it. All my warranty work other than one single issue was taken care of by a Ranger, again coming to my door and doing the work on-site. The one issue that couldn’t be fixed on-site was handled by Tesla giving me a loaner and transporting my car to the Cleveland SC for me. You really can’t beat it for convenience, I’m just concerned they won’t be able to keep scaling up with the kind of overhead it must represent. It could also be a problem if I had something that needed instant attention, but I haven’t had that yet. Oh yeah, I have been getting annual services (I know, the necessity is debatable) and those are not covered as free valet (there’s a $100 transportation fee chargeable I think). However I’ve managed to have them all fall during road trips to Chicago, and the Chicago SC is happy to store my car for me after they’re done doing the work. Which at Chicago parking prices, almost pays for the service.

This is the first car I’ve owned that does precisely what I want it to do when I want it to. I’ve heard someone describe it as “surgically precise” driving. When I need to accelerate or pass quickly...done. Need to slow down quickly? Done. Feeling sporty? No problem. Just want to cruise along nice and mellow? Easy. Want to turn a corner without getting tossed into the door or onto the other passenger? No sweat.

I love how effortless the acceleration is. No lag when pressing on the go pedal. No upshifting with accompanying jerks between gears. Just sheer linear acceleration. My own mother described it as like a jetliner taking off. I liken it to a rocket on wheels that would fly if it could.

It’s great. The state government is hostile but that’s because they’ve been bought and paid for by the dealer lobby. (We’re working on it but it’s a marathon, not a sprint.) But I haven’t met one single actual human person who wasn’t somewhere on the spectrum between politely curious and drooling fanboy. Even the people matching stereotypes you might think would be resentful are anything but, e.g. the construction worker in the camo jacket who wanted to know all about the 0-60 time and top speed. I don’t get as many thumbs-up and shout-outs from passers-by as I used to now that the cars are more common, but that’s definitely the vibe.

I guess there might be people with bad feelings at drag tracks. I’ve never been to one so I don’t know.

Also, the going-to-Ohio for a SC thing is a pain in the butt in principle but so far, in practice it’s been fine, in fact in many ways more convenient than living near a SC because everything is valet service. My car was trailered to my door when I bought it. All my warranty work other than one single issue was taken care of by a Ranger, again coming to my door and doing the work on-site. The one issue that couldn’t be fixed on-site was handled by Tesla giving me a loaner and transporting my car to the Cleveland SC for me. You really can’t beat it for convenience, I’m just concerned they won’t be able to keep scaling up with the kind of overhead it must represent. It could also be a problem if I had something that needed instant attention, but I haven’t had that yet. Oh yeah, I have been getting annual services (I know, the necessity is debatable) and those are not covered as free valet (there’s a $100 transportation fee chargeable I think). However I’ve managed to have them all fall during road trips to Chicago, and the Chicago SC is happy to store my car for me after they’re done doing the work. Which at Chicago parking prices, almost pays for the service.
Michigan will be the true test. Can't wait to see how it goes!

New best part of owning Tesla Model 3 Performance version: unabashed love for the car coming from my technophobic wife. She hates technology, and tends to blow most of it up. The entire death toll for house technology at this point stands at 4 cell phones (three dropped in toilets) three laptops (mostly destroyed by pouring water into the keyboards), and one iPod (accidentally hurled against the wall while making the bed), and last but not least one car key transponder accidentally flushed down the toilet at a Marriott. It's a little bit scary to unleash her on such a beautiful car but we decided to get two of them, after being terrified of the thing she finally learned how to drive it and now she thinks it's "awesome." She loves to punch it every time she goes for a drive. Let's hope the car survives her amazing ability to blow s*** up

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J and gilscales
I've been a life long stick driver, with cars like the CRX, S2000, Cayman, 335, etc. I preferred stick mainly because until DCT were reliable and widely available, you stepped on the gas and waited for the gear to downshift, and on slushboxes that usually took what felt like forever.

I had a Gen1 Volt and a Spark EV, enjoyed the cars, but both had a weird slight delay when pressing the accelerator pedal.

Now come the M3: I test drove the P and the LR RWD before buying the AWD and every one of the variants offered instant throttle response, which is what I think is the best part about driving my M3.

What is your most favorite part about driving your M3?

Yeah, it would have to be the instant throttle response and smooth quiet power. But the excellent steering response is a close second!

Nothing else really compares:

I'm just here to post pictures of my S2000 like the others.
stook start.jpg

I also like being able to increase/decrease my speed with just 1 pedal.

I enjoy most every aspect of driving my Model 3P, but the smooth, powerful acceleration, fantastic handling and the regenerative braking are my 3 favorite things.

The things that concerned me prior to purchase were the interior (would it feel like a downgrade compared to the Audis we've owned?), the interior noise and the ride comfort or lack thereof.

Of those 3, my fears about the interior were unfounded. I've come to appreciate the utter simplicity and intelligence of the design.

The other 2 are about what I expected, meaning it's not as quiet (at highway speeds) as I'd have liked and the ride is firm enough to worry me when it comes to taking passengers on longer trips. The tradeoff is the handling, and when it's just me, I LOVE the ride/handing balance, but I wish it were more comfortable for rear passengers.

Reactions: StealthP3D
This is the first car I’ve owned that does precisely what I want it to do when I want it to. I’ve heard someone describe it as “surgically precise” driving. When I need to accelerate or pass quickly...done. Need to slow down quickly? Done. Feeling sporty? No problem. Just want to cruise along nice and mellow? Easy. Want to turn a corner without getting tossed into the door or onto the other passenger? No sweat.

I love how effortless the acceleration is. No lag when pressing on the go pedal. No upshifting with accompanying jerks between gears. Just sheer linear acceleration. My own mother described it as like a jetliner taking off. I liken it to a rocket on wheels that would fly if it could.

Well put. Even a Porche or more exotic sports car doesn't have all those wonderful qualities. Unless it's a Roadster or other EV performance vehicle.

People who haven't experienced it can't even imagine it. I know it's a lot better than I imagined before my first drive in a Model 3.

Reactions: NoPetrolDream