Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most reliable way to buy a used 2016-2018 Model X - tesla direct, carmax, carvana, shift, vroom?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been tracking prices for a while now and budget wise I am able to afford a 2016-2018 MX now (I think). Targeting around 45k-50k for a 2016, up to 55k-60k for a 2018 (based on what I've seen on shift.com)
But I am not sure where is the best place to buy it, to improve my chances of not getting a car that's full of problems.

So far I have seen the best prices at shift.com, but they don't have many pictures on the site, and you can't even see or test drive the car until you pay the deposit to buy it. They probably also have no clue how to inspect a Tesla with their faux 150 point inspection process, so for all I know the car will be delivered with a ton of problems, with the only recourse (and hassle) being to returning it.

Carvana and vroom are similar, except their prices seem higher. Plus Carvana might be going bankrupt soon I heard?

Carmax seems like the best bet to see it in person, but their price are higher than the online sites, and recently most of the inventory disappeared and I can barely find one just to look at in person. But I like their 24 test drive and 7 day return policy, plus I can buy an extended warranty from them (the other online sites don't seem to offer it for Teslas).

Tesla direct, you can't see anything at all, but at least they give a 1 year warranty, plus I assume they will do a better job as inspecting and fixing the car before listing it. But it seems to much a gamble to buy it sight unseen, with no return policy.

So where's a good place to buy one and get some piece of mind that the car won't arrive DOA?

I just got a 2019 Raven direct from Tesla. The warranty is great peace of mind. A couple weeks ago they seemed to have really good prices on used model X, but I noticed all those cars disappearing fast so I rushed to grab one. They have very little inventory left online right now. Got it for 66k with 7 seats and FSD. Hoping it's good, they still haven't let me schedule pick up yet.

Reactions: xanatos
I just got a 2019 Raven direct from Tesla. The warranty is great peace of mind. A couple weeks ago they seemed to have really good prices on used model X, but I noticed all those cars disappearing fast so I rushed to grab one. They have very little inventory left online right now. Got it for 66k with 7 seats and FSD. Hoping it's good, they still haven't let me schedule pick up yet.
are they able to show you any pictures of the actual car after you have committed to buy? or will you have to wait until pickup day to actually see it?

are they able to show you any pictures of the actual car after you have committed to buy? or will you have to wait until pickup day to actually see it?
They don’t show any pictures anymore. They stopped sometime in 2018, probably due to people asking for discounts and related due to scratches and dents. It’s much easier to deny once they got your money.

Just picked up a 2019 X from Tesla last week . They even said you may only get 1 key fob and I complained about it and they were nice enough to give me another. Luckily no issues with scratches or dents, but yea it’s a crapshoot.

Reactions: mybeans and xanatos
I bought a 2018 Model X from Carvana about a year ago. Horrendous experience. Cancelled the delivery 4 TIMES the day before, delivery took 9 weeks longer than when car was purchased, and my trade-in price dropped in that time period. I would avoid them in the future.

I found the cars listed in the for sale section here were priced competitively. Users with a decent post history are likely to have all the things you’d want: detailed history of car, more photos (you can ask for too), videos, etc. the only thing missing is the 1 year warranty Tesla offers. Do your due diligence and get a 1 way flight out for a fun road trip home, if you can’t find one locally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Genie and xanatos
I found the cars listed in the for sale section here were priced competitively. Users with a decent post history are likely to have all the things you’d want: detailed history of car, more photos (you can ask for too), videos, etc. the only thing missing is the 1 year warranty Tesla offers. Do your due diligence and get a 1 way flight out for a fun road trip home, if you can’t find one locally.
But how do you pay for something this expensive in a private party sale though? Just write them a check?

I bought my 2019 X from CarMax. I lucked out, and it turned up in my local inventory. When you reserve a test drive for the car, it takes it out of inventory, so other people can't swoop in under you. I even had a few days after my test drive to decide. (always verify that, sometimes processes change)

When I went on the test drive, my salesperson didn't know a thing about Teslas. In fact, he was ooohing and aahhing at it. But they did have a "Tesla Expert" on staff who was a former Tesla salesperson, so he was able to answer any questions that I had, including if it would keep FSD (it did). I ended up being the 3rd owner, and the previous owner had bought through Tesla, so I got the bonus additional used warranty as a nice surprise.

I know CarMax doesn't have the best price, but the buying process was pretty painless. Their quote for my trade was decent.

All that said... I can't imagine buying a car of that price sight-unseen, based solely on a used-car salesperson's word. But if I were, I think CarMax would be the only place I'd feel comfortable.

But how do you pay for something this expensive in a private party sale though? Just write them a check?
Cashier's check or direct wire transfer would be preferable ways of payment for the seller.

I financed my private party Model X purchase back in fall of 2021, and it was pretty painless. Had everything setup w/ my local CU before I flew out to Florida.

Once I inspected and drove the car, I had the bank execute a wire transfer.

Title got signed over - I drove back to Minnesota.

Same config with same price. $66k with 42k miles 7 seat 2019 Raven. Picking it up this weekend!

Reactions: mybeans and xanatos
I wish you luck! I rejected mine. Big wart on top of the dash from where they removed a phone mount that was clearly out of condition spec, but they wouldn't remedy saying it's normal wear and tear 🙄. Also a deep door ding right on the driver's door, in spec but sucked.

I wish you luck! I rejected mine. Big wart on top of the dash from where they removed a phone mount that was clearly out of condition spec, but they wouldn't remedy saying it's normal wear and tear 🙄. Also a deep door ding right on the driver's door, in spec but sucked.
I thought once you purchased on the Tesla website you are committed. Are you saying when it's time to pick up, you can actually reject delivery when you finally get to see the car?

It’s not all bad with Tesla. I just noticed that they gave me brand new tires and wheels (22”). not a scratch on them. I haven’t driven it much since I purchased it two weeks ago and gave it a really good look over today because I had a mobile service appointment coming. Not sure if this is a standard thing they do, but a welcomed surprise.