Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor noise after exit car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is easy... since Speed=Distance/Time.. or re-written Time=Distance/Speed. And since the car isn't moving, Distance=0 and Speed=0, so that's 0/0=undefined(or infinity), so since infinity is greater than 55mph, the car is lowering itself "at speed" as it was programmed to do now.

That was a joke, for the humor impaired.

Ok, I've listened carefully and am certain, without a doubt, it's the air suspension compressor firing up after I've parked as I open up the driver's door to exit.

The brake boost pump is higher pitched and rising in tone as it operates. The air suspension is lower pitched and constant in tone. It's the latter.

Here's a question: how many of us have odd driveway slopes, which might require leveling once parked in the flat garage? In the past before 5.9, I would often note that my suspension seemed high on the front wheels, and I have a steeply down-sloping driveway. Perhaps the car didn't have time to level before I exited and shut it off. Maybe they introduced a routine in 5.9 to level off as part of the shutdown.

Ok, I've listened carefully and am certain, without a doubt, it's the air suspension compressor firing up after I've parked as I open up the driver's door to exit.

The brake boost pump is higher pitched and rising in tone as it operates. The air suspension is lower pitched and constant in tone. It's the latter.
That's odd, because last night when I got home I sat with my door open and raised and lowered the suspension several times just to hear the suspension compressor noise and its _nothing_ like the sound I hear when I get out of the car with 5.9. The noise I hear from that is the brake compressor.

This is easy... since Speed=Distance/Time.. or re-written Time=Distance/Speed. And since the car isn't moving, Distance=0 and Speed=0, so that's 0/0=undefined(or infinity), so since infinity is greater than 55mph, the car is lowering itself "at speed" as it was programmed to do now.

That was a joke, for the humor impaired.
For IT people this makes perfect sense, if the testing department didn't do their job
But you would probably get a division by zero exception. Sorry I'm an IT guy with humor mode off