Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend Rivian test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't see this posted anywhere and I only scanned it.

They called it the most remarkable pickup they've ever driven. Maybe I need to reconsider one? Although I'm probably sticking with the Cybertruck because I, and I may be in the minority, like the styling.

It looks an excellent vehicle, the longer range one will be slower (mostly due to weight ) but 400mi range is pretty good.

Its a lifestyle truck rather than a work truck (suits me more..) I would be keen to give one a go.
Most definitely geared toward adventure vs work use. I like the SUV bit I'd like to see it get the extended range pack although 300 is all you really need.

I had trouble with the price for it.. it’s comparable to the tri motor cybertruck but has ~200 miles less range without the max pack. Tax credit is applicable but for capability I had to choose the cyber truck… and then I caved and ordered a MY anyway, but I probably won’t see my cybertruck for 5 years anyways.

They called it the most remarkable pickup they've ever driven.
No surprise there. There's a lot Tesla blood running thru it so much so that Tesla even brought suit against Rivian. If they can get decent range at that price point, Ford and GM are in serious trouble.

If there was one thing about this truck that gave us pause, it's the user interface. Rivian has taken a Tesla-like approach, minimizing the use of physical switchgear in favor of touchscreen menus and multipurpose buttons on the steering wheel. Even the air conditioning vents must be adjusted through the screen, a Tesla Model 3-aping feature that seems nifty at first but quickly reveals itself to be a major pain in the posterior—who wants to swipe through the climate menu just to adjust a vent?
The complaints are kind of silly given that that's how its done in Teslas.
Some of our staffers (primarily the younger ones) had no trouble breezing through the menus, but others found it overwhelming.
lol, old peeps...

That tesla suit was about recruitment and project management etc not manufacturing or design.

They do have a lot of ex tesla people but then thats how these things roll.

Its partly owned by Besos so Elon will have a go at it wherever possible
They replaced their chief engineer with a Tesla engineer on top of the mass poaching. It is what it is, no different than Intel poaching AMD people. They don't go after people from Fisker.... lol.

Reactions: Revolver3131
It's ironic that they say the Rivian will have competition from GM, Ford and Dodge, with no mention of the Cybertruck at all. Bit of bias going on?
I thought that was funny especially when we haven't seen anything from Ram or GM that would qualify as competition. Nevertheless, the Rivian R1T is a well designed truck that should do really well in the market. I saw one on the road recently, and it looked pretty good.

Reactions: Zer0t
I didn't see this posted anywhere and I only scanned it.

They called it the most remarkable pickup they've ever driven. Maybe I need to reconsider one? Although I'm probably sticking with the Cybertruck because I, and I may be in the minority, like the styling.
But it's small, like a compact PU. If that's you're thing...

I'm sure the Rivian is a really good product. Heck, I can even imagine getting an R1S to replace the Uujjj family minivan someday. But as you read these reviews, keep in mind that review sites have an incentive to play up Tesla competitors as much as possible. When one product is far and away the market leader, reviewers have an inherent incentive to play up any competition. Saying "Just buy a Tesla" won't sell magazines. Like all those glowing reviews of "iPhone killer" phones back in 2009-2012, when in real world use those phones were often slow and buggy.