Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain Pass Performance Coilovers for RWD M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TMC folks, after reading through many threads, I felt compelled to share my experience with Mountain Pass Performance coilovers for my RWD M3. I wanted to wait until I had over 1,000 miles on them just to make sure that I love them – and I still do. First, let me start out by saying I had another competitors’ lowering springs installed, and I was really unhappy with the product performance and the customer service – the springs were binding/bottoming out and making a clunking noise every time I’d go over a small speed bump. I called their customer service and they were blaming the installer which really set me off. Anyhow, I ended up returning them and eating the cost of the labor to install/uninstall the springs and then purchased the MPP Sport Coilovers.

I’m not going to lie, replacing the other competitors’ lowering springs with MPP’s coilovers was a tough decision – the MPP’s are a premium product. But I figured if I'm going to keep the car, why not invest in the best product? Honestly, the determining factor for me was that MPP partnered with KW Suspensions – I think most people would agree, that KW Suspensions makes THE BEST coilovers.

I purchased the MPP RWD Model 3 Sport Coilovers. I was also torn about getting the Sport vs the Comfort coilovers at first since honestly, I’m a dad with 2 young kids. I didn’t want a rough ride with 2 young kids (and a discerning wife!). I chose the MPP Sport Coilovers as I just thought they are a better quality product. The ride is firm, but also soft. It’s kind of a weird explanation, but I’ll say that they’re so much softer than my other lowering springs, but they’re definitely firmer than a MS. I would say maybe comparable to a BMW M3… although it’s been a few years since I’ve ridden in a BMW M3. Just to note, I had a MS as a loaner for a few days from Tesla, I just felt there was way too much body roll and it felt like I was driving a boat (even though it’s a super nice car).

I had the MPP Sport Coilovers installed at MPP’s recommended dampening and ride height, I’ll say I LOVE the way my M3 looks, handles, and rides. It’s aggressive, but not “slammed”. It’s firm, but also soft. I don’t really push the car that hard since I’m mainly driving the kids around town, but I’ve had quite a few head turns and thumbs up on the road.

Here's a few pics, let me know if you have any questions.
IMG_0942.jpg
IMG_0947.jpg
IMG_0952 (1).jpg

That's as perfect of a fit as you could ask for.

Did you have your alignment shop adjust toe/camber?
What wheels/tires are those?
Also, could you detail what you meant by "firm but soft?" I'm seriously torn between Sport and Comfort, especially since the price difference is non-trivial.

Just going to point out that lowering springs and coilovers are absolutely not comparable. Of course coilovers will give a better ride compared to the lowering springs, it's taking a shortcut vs doing something right.

Lowering springs are basically purposely tuning your car's suspension to be outside of the region it was designed to operate in JUST for the sake of lowering your ride height. Sure people claim you can improve ride with "dual rate springs" and whatnot, but without tuning your damper to match the spring rate it simply won't perform like a bespoke coilover.

Last edited:
@SoCaLKPK,

Great write up. Trying to decide between Sport and Comfort myself. Leaning Sport for the quality SS and the adjustability. How much firmer than ‘stock’ are the Sport coilovers? That’s my only concern. I DONT want any firmer than stock.
Also I don’t want to hijack the thread by any means....just want to ask is that 20% on your tint and what brand is it (Love the look).

Ski

That's as perfect of a fit as you could ask for.

Did you have your alignment shop adjust toe/camber?
What wheels/tires are those?
Also, could you detail what you meant by "firm but soft?" I'm seriously torn between Sport and Comfort, especially since the price difference is non-trivial.

I also ponied up for the MPP toe and camber arms since I wanted to preserve tire wear. I'm not really sure if the toe arms were all that necessary, but I thought what the heck, why not? ;)

The wheels are Vertini RF1.1 in Brushed Titanium (crazy good value!) and the tires are Yokohama Advan Sport A/S. I was really happy with the way the wheels and tires worked out because I wasn't sure how the offset of the wheel and tire height were going to work out. I usually scour the Internet for pictures of wheels and tires sizes, but it was tough to find a lot of info at the time.

I chose the MPP Sport coilovers because I felt the quality was better than the Comfort ones. If you take a closer look at the coilovers, the Sport are a bit higher in quality (it's effectively the KW Suspensions Variant 3), and also fully adjustable in terms of dampening and ride height. What I mean by "firm, but soft" is that driving around around town, going over speed bumps, etc - the coilovers feel soft. When I'm driving the car a bit harder, the coilovers feel a bit stiffer which I think is good. I guess it's all relative though because the other competitor springs I had were quite stiff. I felt every bump in the road.

Happy to answer any more questions, good luck!

Just going to point out that lowering springs and coilovers are absolutely not comparable. Of course coilovers will give a better ride compared to the lowering springs, it's taking a shortcut vs doing something right.

Lowering springs are basically purposely tuning your car's suspension to be outside of the region it was designed to operate in JUST for the sake of lowering your ride height. Sure people claim you can improve ride with "dual rate springs" and whatnot, but without tuning your damper to match the spring rate it simply won't perform like a bespoke coilover.

Great point, you're absolutely right. My lowering springs didn't work out. But I really do believe that MPP does have the best coilovers since they partnered with KW Suspensions to make them.

@SoCaLKPK,

Great write up. Trying to decide between Sport and Comfort myself. Leaning Sport for the quality SS and the adjustability. How much firmer than ‘stock’ are the Sport coilovers? That’s my only concern. I DONT want any firmer than stock.
Also I don’t want to hijack the thread by any means....just want to ask is that 20% on your tint and what brand is it (Love the look).

Ski

It's definitely going to firmer than stock. I had the standard 18" wheels and although the ride was definitely soft, too much body roll for my taste.

The tint is Lllumar CTX 20% on sides and 40% on the back window. I would normally do the same percentage tint all the way around because I'm super anal about having uniformity and a clean look, but I'm glad I did 40% in the back since there's already tint and it allows me to see out the back. You can't even tell that the back window is higher percentage light emission. ;)

Reactions: Skione65
That does look like the perfect ride height. Is that 1" lower than stock?

Have you noticed any change is efficiency?

MPP has the exact specs, but I'd say closer to 1.5" lower. I really haven't noticed any change in efficiency, but I think the change in efficiency would be more from the tire change (diameter, width, tread, etc) more than anything.

Thanks so much for the great review! We're so happy you love our coilovers! You're making us jealous with all of your beautiful weather down there...

I should note that for anyone that is primarily concerned with comfort, the comfort coilovers are a bit softer than the sports coilovers on the softest setting. The sports coilovers are tuned for performance, and as a result, they are naturally slightly firmer.

Yea KW makes great stuff, but since you dont know who makes the other coilovers it's tough to say "best" ;)

Don't you have rockets to be building? I'd think a man of your worth would be too busy to be posting in any thread that has to do with coilovers!

Don't you have rockets to be building? I'd think a man of your worth would be too busy to be posting in any thread that has to do with coilovers!

Haha rockets are my day job, Tesla's are my passion :) I really enjoy sharing knowledge and helping others in the community so we can keep spreading the magic of Model 3! Also want to ensure we keep some healthy competition going in the aftermarket, we're headed in a great direction so far.

That's great to hear... I ended up going with sports mostly for the adjustability..

Would love the deets on the wheels (especially offsets as I think you have is dialed in!!)

Thanks
S

The wheels are 19" Vertini RF1.1 in brushed titanium. I got 8.5 in front and 9.5 in rear since I wanted a staggered stance. I was worried about the 8.5's in front, but the offset seems to work just fine on the M3. Honestly, really love them.

Absolutely, if you replace the spring only without replacing dampers, you may just be wasting your time, money, and installation hassle for the install. Why do you think think unplugged performance sells spring, it is because when you’re unsatisfied, you will be forced to buy their coilovers. No matter what your intention is for example ride height only and not for track use, do yourself a favor do it the right way the first time and go with coilovers.