Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably better to ask in the UPP thread or ask them direct. Most of us probably won't know.
From their install instructions. I direct messaged to ask also.

"This product carries a lifetime warranty against mechanical failure or corrosion. It can be exchanged for an identical item or a similar item as determined by Unplugged Performance. It may not be returned for cash or credit. There is no warranty regarding surface imperfections or aesthetic damage incurred during regular use, and/or damage to the brackets from an impact or other unusual driving circumstance."

You and I are describing two different things.
A softer suspension is reducing or eliminate the interior rattle. This is just the bad (or cost cutting) design by Tesla and the softer suspension is preventing the seats, head rests, interior panels, seat belts, etc from jiggling around due to the poor shock rebound control. If Tesla built the interior to be more solid, the MPP coilover wouldn't make a difference. The MPP coilover setup is just alleviating the symptom, not fixing the root cause.

What I'm discussing is the road noise from the subframe and suspension, not the interior of the cabin.

Personally, I'm not noticing a difference in less interior rattles, mostly because the road isolation noise is overpowering any interior noise.
Hmm...well that's not how I'm perceiving it. It's fundamentally different, not just interior rattles. Most of the loud noises over bumps are simply gone or dramatically reduced. I don't know if this is what is really happening, but it seems like previously the bump would hit the wheel, go directly into the frame and cause a big noise. Now it doesn't, the shock absorbs the impact. Or maybe a part of the original shock system would bang into the frame or other parts, or upon itself, I don't know, but it's not doing it anymore.

From their install instructions. I direct messaged to ask also.

"This product carries a lifetime warranty against mechanical failure or corrosion. It can be exchanged for an identical item or a similar item as determined by Unplugged Performance. It may not be returned for cash or credit. There is no warranty regarding surface imperfections or aesthetic damage incurred during regular use, and/or damage to the brackets from an impact or other unusual driving circumstance."
They said 2 years.

Okay went to Cali to visit my mom for Mother’s Day. Drove her BMW X5, Dads Ford Explorer and sisters Honda Oddesy. Came to the conclusion my MY is to soft. All the car above felt stiff, but felt good. Felt good because you don’t feel the suspension vibrate the car or especially though the gas petal at time. The interior noise was quiet with no rattles. I think I, going to stiffen my car to 12/12 and 12/10 again to see make it less floaty that I liked.

I’m want to say I’m done with my car. Nothing else to mod. I’m purposely ignoring boom noise /ear pressure thread. I don’t want to go down that rabit hole.

What kind of bugs me is an intermittent rattle on the front door. Sometime banging on it make it stop. Is this where I get felt tape and tape down all the plugs and wires?

I know im just looking for something to do on my car since all the big ticket items I want to do is done.

Reactions: ganari and Ruffles
Okay went to Cali to visit my mom for Mother’s Day. Drove her BMW X5, Dads Ford Explorer and sisters Honda Oddesy. Came to the conclusion my MY is to soft. All the car above felt stiff, but felt good. Felt good because you don’t feel the suspension vibrate the car or especially though the gas petal at time. The interior noise was quiet with no rattles. I think I, going to stiffen my car to 12/12 and 12/10 again to see make it less floaty that I liked.

I’m want to say I’m done with my car. Nothing else to mod. I’m purposely ignoring boom noise /ear pressure thread. I don’t want to go down that rabit hole.

What kind of bugs me is an intermittent rattle on the front door. Sometime banging on it make it stop. Is this where I get felt tape and tape down all the plugs and wires?

I know im just looking for something to do on my car since all the big ticket items I want to do is done.
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Quitter... :eek: ;););)

Thanks for the comparison to other cars. I'm now torn between going 14/14 all around, or skipping that "first step" and going to you 12/12 or 12/10. Biggest problem in the Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) region is the older concrete slab highways, that have risen/fallen, making for some nasty irregular road undulations and expansion crack cliffs. I think setting up the suspension is similar to buying a house: "Buy your 2nd house 1st."

As for your door rattle, someone will chime in regarding the ease of disassembly/reassembly. It's probably on YouTube somewhere, I'm curious to know what you'll find behind the door panel.

Thanks again for the post about your MPP setup.

How many of you have also switched to lighter rims? I noticed a difference in ride after switching to forged rims since they are so much lighter than the Uberturbines. I wonder how that will factor into the adjustment? Would you start out a click or two stiffer when you do the install?

How many of you have also switched to lighter rims? I noticed a difference in ride after switching to forged rims since they are so much lighter than the Uberturbines. I wonder how that will factor into the adjustment? Would you start out a click or two stiffer when you do the install?
I shaved 5 lbs per wheel but the stiffer and less sidewall (255/45/19 to 255/40/20) offset any difference.

There have been a few posts/discussions about noise levels in this thread but they seem to be about the volume and NVH of the car in general before/after the install. I haven't seen anyone mention creaks/squeaks of the suspension. The reason I ask is I just watched a video about UP coilovers and they had delrin plastic washers on the spring perches and rubber orings on the springs etc. I don't see anything like this on the MPP kit. Does it really not need anything? What's your experience driving over speedbumps in parking lots with the windows down? Anything weird?

Reactions: whisperingshad
There have been a few posts/discussions about noise levels in this thread but they seem to be about the volume and NVH of the car in general before/after the install. I haven't seen anyone mention creaks/squeaks of the suspension. The reason I ask is I just watched a video about UP coilovers and they had delrin plastic washers on the spring perches and rubber orings on the springs etc. I don't see anything like this on the MPP kit. Does it really not need anything? What's your experience driving over speedbumps in parking lots with the windows down? Anything weird?

It really doesn't need anything since we are using stock tophats and still using the rubber spring isolator at the bottom of the rear spring. As you guys know, we really undersold the benefits of this kit since we don't want to make promises relating to something as subjective as noise or vibration. I am really grateful that you guys have been returning to this thread and reporting your experiences, it reassures us that we have done a good job and I think that future MPP Coilover owners appreciate it too!

Does it really not need anything? What's your experience driving over speedbumps in parking lots with the windows down? Anything weird?

Nothing weird to report if installed correctly and torqued to spec. My initial install did have some noise after install. Noise sounded familiar, as my last car made the same noise. The top nut was loose. The dumbsh!t installer forgot to torque it (Installer was ME).

..."faster than normal"...says MPP.

According to whom??? I'm an entitled Amuhrican, I want instant gratification. Do I have to call my lawyer??? (Sigh...don't actually have one...)

You know I'm just yanking your chain. (Thanks for the update! Carry on...)

Hmm...well that's not how I'm perceiving it. It's fundamentally different, not just interior rattles. Most of the loud noises over bumps are simply gone or dramatically reduced. I don't know if this is what is really happening, but it seems like previously the bump would hit the wheel, go directly into the frame and cause a big noise. Now it doesn't, the shock absorbs the impact. Or maybe a part of the original shock system would bang into the frame or other parts, or upon itself, I don't know, but it's not doing it anymore.
That sounds like you're describing a premature recruitment of the bump stops which is something that MPP has talked about as a design flaw in the stock suspension on the model 3. Once you've gone past the first very soft section of the bump stop it becomes almost solid and at that point there's very little give in the suspension to further movement except under extreme loads.

MPP coilovers will not quiet the vehicle. This is more of a Tesla design, lacking better bushings and sound dampening material to improve NVH.
Not true - if the sound is coming from the suspension getting into the bump stops. Mountain Pass has shown that the bump stops are prematurely recruited on the Model 3 and I suspect Model y may have a similar problem. If you eliminate that or reduce bump stop involvement until the very end of suspension travel you actually do quiet the car.

Not true - if the sound is coming from the suspension getting into the bump stops. Mountain Pass has shown that the bump stops are prematurely recruited on the Model 3 and I suspect Model y may have a similar problem. If you eliminate that or reduce bump stop involvement until the very end of suspension travel you actually do quiet the car.
It's not bump stop noise.