Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pored over this thread front to back and have a specific question that perhaps you can answer:

Did the coilover kit eliminate or reduce this on your Y? Finally took a test drive yesterday and experienced exactly this - porpoising/bucking - on a specific section of I-5 north of downtown Seattle that has plagued various vehicles of mine for years. It used to be a lot more of I-5 paved thusly but they've rebuilt most of those old sections. Anyhow, none of my current vehicles display this same behavior, it transported me to a time when my primary vehicle was a 2 door Jeep with a short wheelbase. The MYLR with 20" Inductions bucked like the Jeep, but with harsher impact, it really took me aback because the car was otherwise quite well behaved on a variety of other surface streets, highway and freeway sections.

It's not a dealbreaker, but if there is a solution to soften the ride a bit and still have the Y maintain its other handling characteristics (not get sloppy), I'd be keen to hear it. Perhaps the suspension is quite taut on a new/low miles Y and it will soften a bit with more miles as well (didn't happen to catch mileage on the demo unit).
Pure opinion here, and a single data point.

The MPP coilovers help to make the MY more controlled. It doesn't eliminate the porpoising/bucking, because IMO, that is wheelbase length related, and if you live in an area that is cursed with uneven concrete, the...car...will...porpoise at certain speeds. With the MPP coilovers the ride and handling of the MYLR is much more sophisticated.

The MPP coilovers also eliminate the intensity of the "slap" that is felt on expansion cracks (maybe tire related?). You can still HEAR the slap, but it seems to be less.

Again, in my opinion, the OEM setup does soften/settle in the first 5k miles. That may totally have been me adjusting to the suspension, and not reality. I'm also thinking the OEM ContiProContact tires have softened a bit.

I hope this helps. I have ZERO suspension regrets with the MPPs, and I don't fear driving my 2021 MYLR over anything DFW roads throw at me. (Crossing through Shreveport on I20 continues to be annoying...I've done it 4 times...)

Reactions: dfwatt and Corndart
corndart: Here you go! Seattle local has these for sale. Maybe he'll discount?

Reactions: Corndart
Pure opinion here, and a single data point.

The MPP coilovers help to make the MY more controlled. It doesn't eliminate the porpoising/bucking, because IMO, that is wheelbase length related, and if you live in an area that is cursed with uneven concrete, the...car...will...porpoise at certain speeds. With the MPP coilovers the ride and handling of the MYLR is much more sophisticated.

The MPP coilovers also eliminate the intensity of the "slap" that is felt on expansion cracks (maybe tire related?). You can still HEAR the slap, but it seems to be less.

Again, in my opinion, the OEM setup does soften/settle in the first 5k miles. That may totally have been me adjusting to the suspension, and not reality. I'm also thinking the OEM ContiProContact tires have softened a bit.

I hope this helps. I have ZERO suspension regrets with the MPPs, and I don't fear driving my 2021 MYLR over anything DFW roads throw at me. (Crossing through Shreveport on I20 continues to be annoying...I've done it 4 times...)
Thanks this is helpful. DFW freeways are pretty wretched IME.

The geometry between that specific section of freeway, the Model Y wheelbase, and suspension bits and bobs may just be poisonous. My last two vehicles have *shorter* wheelbases and don't buck/porpoise to nearly the same degree on the same section.

In terms of the locally available kit, thanks, I did see that posting, but don't actually have a vehicle yet hate to spend $3k+ to solve a problem for such a narrowly scoped issue. Will file this information away for Future Corndart to use if needed.

Thanks this is helpful. DFW freeways are pretty wretched IME.

The geometry between that specific section of freeway, the Model Y wheelbase, and suspension bits and bobs may just be poisonous. My last two vehicles have *shorter* wheelbases and don't buck/porpoise to nearly the same degree on the same section.

In terms of the locally available kit, thanks, I did see that posting, but don't actually have a vehicle yet hate to spend $3k+ to solve a problem for such a narrowly scoped issue. Will file this information away for Future Corndart to use if needed.
I can't speak for the 2021s, but the 2020 Ys will still have the noise that travels up from the suspension into the interior. It's just poor NVH isolation. Aftermarket springs and coilovers won't fix that.

My wife's 2021 3 Performance has very little noise from the subframe over bumps. I don't understand how the Model Y suspension engineers failed so miserably in this department. It wouldn't take much in terms of resources for a sound engineer to measure the frequencies traveling into the cabin and designing in sound dampening materials to lessen the effect and/or better subframe bushings.

Reactions: ganari and Corndart
I just picked up my Model Y from the installer. I had coilovers, toe, & camber arms installed and all I can say is WOW! This is how the vehicle should have came from Tesla. The feel, handling and look are great. I also want to thank Jesse for answering every question I had before and after my purchase. MPP not only sells quality products but proves great customer service still exists. In the future I will be seeking out as many twisty roads as possible. Thanks MPP!
0E9B4CD6-2670-4A2C-AFFC-D50C9F6180F5.jpeg
E8BB3F39-9DFE-4820-9CD6-1583DB0161D3.jpeg
02BFD34F-7816-44DF-AB5E-FF529DB37574.jpeg

I just picked up my Model Y from the installer. I had coilovers, toe, & camber arms installed and all I can say is WOW! This is how the vehicle should have came from Tesla. The feel, handling and look are great. I also want to thank Jesse for answering every question I had before and after my purchase. MPP not only sells quality products but proves great customer service still exists. In the future I will be seeking out as many twisty roads as possible. Thanks MPP!View attachment 724104View attachment 724105View attachment 724106

Does the car ride more comfortable than stock? Or did you went with firmer damping setup ?

I'm enjoying my MPP coilovers. The caveat is keeping your expectations realistic. They don't absorb bumps the way a 60s vintage Citroen (very floaty air suspension) handles bumps, or even the lowly Citroen 2CV (VERY floaty!!!!!)

Depending on your region, and the spacing, or length, of concrete slabs, the MY doesn't absorb all of the frost-heave unevenness of older concrete. I don't think any coilover can compensate for this.

Another thing: The "XL" (extra load) tires, aired to the (required because of LOAD) 42PSI, are rock hard, with very little sidewall flex. Consequently, low-speed driving over uneven slabs, with 1-2" height differences between slabs, continues to be more harsh than I'd like. MUCH less than OEM, but far from smooth. The problem is, if you soften the compression on the strut to compensate for this, you'd end up with a spongy suspension when at speed, which wouldn't be desirable. Ditto for PSI in the tires.

All that said, I'd like to have a side-by-side comparison of MPP with Ohlins. Is the Ohlins worth 40% more? I wonder.

Keep expectations realistic.

Reactions: Kelr316
Agreed with everything @Pianewman says. I have the same experience where low speed harshness didn't improve much going over construction plates, manholes, and rail road tracks. Highspeed highway improvement is a lot more noticeable, though. Even though I'm on 19's the higher PSI requirement for Teslas also doesn't help. In the summer time the heat causes my PSI to go upwards of 48 is terrible for ride comfort. I've seen a difference (better comfort) now that temperatures are dropping and my PSI are finally hovering at 42.

Those rebound numbers are probably set too firm for normal driving. In my experience anything 9 or lower number for rebound will cause the car to be too firm against rough road and especially upset (significant side-to-side impacts) on paver stone streets. The compression of 13 is fine and eliminates most road texture and grain transmitted to cabin.

I’m on 42 psi on the 21” ubers, which allows the MPP suspension to really do most of the damping work instead of squishy tires, and provides great steering feel/response.

I drove through downtown PDX on my summer settings of these with my family and it was tolerable but should have set softer for those roads:

front 11/11 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)
rear 10/9 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)

On the round trip from Seattle it was perfect, but too firm for those Portland streets.

I’m currently at these settings and very satisfied for the colder months where the tires (Michelin PS AS4) and perhaps the suspension components are less soft and transmit more noise/energy to the cabin (if kept to the summer settings):

front 13/12 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)
rear 12/10 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)
I'm looking to go with the same settings (front 13/12 rear 12/10) when I get my coilovers installed in a couple weeks. However, I have a MY LR with 19" Apollo wheels and Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires, not a performance with low profile tires. Do you think those settings would be too soft for "squishy tires"?

I'm going to pose the same question in the MPP "Numbers Only" thread, looking forward to hearing people's experiences.

Sudsington: I don't think that any "XL" (extra load) tire on the market can be called a "squishy tire." Even with an aspect ratio of 45, the sidewalls are very stiff.

I still contend that the XL tires are the number one cause of road harshness.

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt
Sudsington: I don't think that any "XL" (extra load) tire on the market can be called a "squishy tire." Even with an aspect ratio of 45, the sidewalls are very stiff.

I still contend that the XL tires are the number one cause of road harshness.
True enough. I'm using "squishy" as a comparison to the tires that come on the MYP's Uberturbines. I guess squishy is the wrong word...but with more potential give than the MYP's tires?

Is the MPP at stock ride height a noticeable difference in ride quality? I’m getting mixed reviews with some saying at lower speeds it’s not that different versus no difference at all unless it’s lowered.
Mine is about 1/2" below stock height. Low speed harshness (parking lot, neighborhood) remains, probably because of stiff sidewall Extra Load tires. Highway speed (30mph+) is much more controlled, stable.

Reactions: pt19713
Is the MPP at stock ride height a noticeable difference in ride quality? I’m getting mixed reviews with some saying at lower speeds it’s not that different versus no difference at all unless it’s lowered.
Here's a video comparing the two directly. Same roads, same driving path, same speeds, etc.

Pretty noticeable improvement with the MPP Comfort's (top) vs the Stock suspension (bottom).

I should mention this is at stock height.
I think there's a video in this thread by a suspension shop expert that outlines the differences between single-height and dual-height adjustable setups.
The design height for single-adjustables is critical to it's range of effectiveness.
The MPP is single-height, and designed for a mild lowering of ride height (MPP may want to comment, but I think it's 1/2-3/4 inch 12-20mm).
The MPP coilovers if installed for Tesla standard ride height would lose some low speed damping effectiveness, as that range of it's motion would be reduced.

I think there's a video in this thread by a suspension shop expert that outlines the differences between single-height and dual-height adjustable setups.
The design height for single-adjustables is critical to it's range of effectiveness.
The MPP is single-height, and designed for a mild lowering of ride height (MPP may want to comment, but I think it's 1/2-3/4 inch 12-20mm).
The MPP coilovers if installed for Tesla standard ride height would lose some low speed damping effectiveness, as that range of it's motion would be reduced.
To clarify, I set it to stock Performance height. It's my wife's car, so that's where it will stay. But I agree, and presumably the improvement would be even more noticeable if lowered a bit.