Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounted wrong size wheels - they’re now permanently stuck to the car. Disaster [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the back wheel and they likely didn't know how to release the parking brake.

At any rate, the car is going to need an alignment and possibly all new wheel bearings after this crude hammering and OP is lucky the hammer didn't hit the brakes or wheel rim. I'm not sure I'd be proudly posting this as an "achievement" on my Facebook page if I were them. A cheap Harbor Freight hydraulic puller would have effortlessly removed the wheels with no risk of damage to anything.

AC Auto = Wakefield Mass. @martyb126 stated location "MA".....
Yup. My car is now famous. That’s more than most here can say! Honestly, I was underwhelmed with how hard they had to hit it to get it off. I was prepared to see much scarier footage.

At least there is a video of them getting them off on that blurb.

Anyway @martyb126 I want to do two things here.

1. Echo everyone else who said "Glad you got them off, without what appears to be a bunch of damage to the vehicle".

Agreed. Bearings and alignment are all good. No issues with the car. The wheels are TBD. Bringing them to a wheel place soon for balancing and inspection. My next step was to cut them off, so if they’re not dead, I’m in a better place than I thought I’d be.

2. Thank you profusely for being a good sport about all this, rolling with all the suggestions, advice, jokes etc, and also coming back and posting a resolution.
At the end of the day, it’s just a car. Hopefully my mistake prevents someone else’s in the future. It was certainly an adventure. I’m glad we all got some entertainment out of this.

Last edited:
So glad you finally got them off with not too much more trouble. Looks like those wheels have the step in the bore to accommodate the Performance model.
Interesting thread. I just came across it. I'm pretty sure that the step in the wheel bores wasn't there before they were installed on Marty's car; they don't have a machined finish like you would expect in that case and the step is also not as deep as it would be if someone were to machine it. I think the step was press formed when the wheels were bolted down, resulting in an interference press fit. Since the aluminum of the wheel is much softer than the steel of the hub, it deformed to fit.

After being press formed and hammered off, I wouldn't trust those wheels to not break in normal use. They've been stressed way beyond what they were designed for. Time to recycle some aluminum.

Reactions: XPsionic